Tired of FF

D-Day Heroes

Tired of FF

Post by D-Day Heroes » Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:17 pm

You got to love the way the gang comes together to pick up one of its own when thier down in the Dumps :cool:

I don't see to many other Leagues that do that :cool: :cool:
" When you are in any contest you should work as if there were - to the very last minute - a chance to lose it. "
- Dwight D. Eisenhower

Shrink Attack

Tired of FF

Post by Shrink Attack » Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:39 pm

It is interesting how this hobby we love so much, which we play because it's fun, can become stressful and downright negative once we cross some imaginary line.

Like anything in life that you feel passionate about (wife, kids, job), the highs are great and the lows are downright miserable.

If you spend hours every Monday with injury reports, Tuesday with league standings, Wednesday with WW research, Thursday with WW picks, Friday agonizing with WW bidding amounts, Saturday with agonizing over lineups decisions, and Sunday negotiating with the wife to watch football only to see your Fantasy teams fail, then it's nothing short of depressing. Not to mention the hours spent checking the news every morning, afternoon, and evening. You start wondering, "Why am I doing all this? I can't believe the time I'm wasting to be miserable!"

But then next week your Fantasy teams soar and you're on cloud nine...and the whole cycle begins again.

The thing I really don't like about Fantasy Football is that it has changed me from being a true NFL fan into a FF Addict. I use to enjoy watching NFL games for the pure joy of it. I loved the players, the strategy, the rivalries, the drama. Now, I concentrate on whose getting the touches in the Red Zone, and I'm furious when my RB doesn't get the rock at the 1-yard line. Is that being a real Football fan? No, it's not. That's also why I never play Fantasy Football during the NFL playoffs. I enjoy these games IMMENSELY without having to worry about whether my Fantasy players are doing well or not.

It's really bad when your homer team is going up against a team starting some of your Fantasy players. In a strange and uncomfortable kind of way, your loyalties become divided and distorted. You want your fantasy player to explode, but you want your homer team to win. Again, for me, it lessens some of the enjoyment I have for pure NFL football, and I don't like that part.

I have Falcons season tickets with my 11 year old son. At the game, I'm constantly checking the stats of other games instead of being 100% into the live action right in front of me. It shouldn't be that way, really.

Tonight is a perfect example. Before I became a Fantasy Football junkie, I would've enjoyed the Monday Night matchup due to my pure love for the game. But no, I have Darren Sproles and was hoping for an LT scratch. Imaging that. What kind of NFL fan hopes that the the #1 RB in the game can't play because of an injury? Disgusting.

I also have Philip Rivers. I need 25 points from him tonight to win my 14-teamer. Well, when Favre threw that pick that was run back for a TD, I was livid. Now the Jets get the ball back, and Rivers doesn't get a chance to score any points, and the friggin' game clock is ticking down. Tick-tock, tick-tock. It frustrated me so much that I turned off the TV. Not a good sign from someone who is suppose to be passionate about NFL football for a pure love of the game.

I think that the advice given in this thread has been solid. I think that reducing time spent on too many details that can all be derailed by bad luck or injury or whatever is a good idea. Just doing basic WW moves, setting your lineup and then going about your life is the way to go.

For me, it's back to the basics of just loving Pro Football.

GO FALCONS!!!!

[ September 22, 2008, 09:44 PM: Message edited by: Shrink Attack ]
"Deserve" ain't got nothin' to do with it
---Clint Eastwood in The Unforgiven

trueblue

Tired of FF

Post by trueblue » Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:42 pm

Originally posted by Shrink Attack:
It is interesting how this hobby we love so much, which we play because it's fun, can become stressful and downright negative once we cross some imaginary line.

Like anything in life that you feel passionate about (wife, kids, job), the highs are great and the lows are downright miserable.

If you spend hours every Monday with injury reports, Tuesday with league standings, Wednesday with WW research, Thursday with WW picks, Friday agonizing with WW bidding amounts, Saturday with agonizing over lineups decisions, and Sunday negotiating with the wife to watch football only to see your Fantasy teams fail, then it's nothing short of depressing. Not to mention the hours spent checking the news every morning, afternoon, and evening. You start wondering, "Why am I doing all this? I can't believe the time I'm wasting to be miserable!"

But then next week your Fantasy teams soar and you're on cloud nine...and the whole cycle begins again.

The thing I really don't like about Fantasy Football is that it has changed me from being a true NFL fan into a FF Addict. I use to enjoy watching NFL games for the pure joy of it. I loved the players, the strategy, the rivalries, the drama. Now, I concentrate on whose getting the touches in the Red Zone, and I'm furious when my RB doesn't get the rock at the 1-yard line. Is that being a real Football fan? No, it's not.

It's really bad when your homer team is going up against a team starting some of your Fantasy players. In a strange and uncomfortable kind of way, your loyalties become divided and distorted. You want your fantasy player to explode, but you want your homer team to win. Again, for me, it lessens some of the enjoyment I have for pure NFL football, and I don't like that part.

I have Falcons season tickets with my 11 year old son. At the game, I'm constantly checking the stats of other games instead of being 100% into the live action right in front of me. It shouldn't be that way, really.

Tonight is a perfect example. Before I became a Fantasy Football junkie, I would've enjoyed the Monday Night matchup due to my pure love for the game. But no, I have Darren Sproles and was hoping for an LT scratch. Imaging that. What kind of NFL fan hopes that the the #1 RB in the game can't play because of an injury? Disgusting.

I also have Philip Rivers. I need 25 points from him tonight to win my 14-teamer. Well, when Favre threw that pick that was run back for a TD, I was livid. Now the Jets get the ball back, and Rivers doesn't get a chance to score any points, and the friggin' game clock is ticking down. Tick-tock, tick-tock. It frustrated me so much that I turned off the TV. Not a good sign from someone who is suppose to be passionate about NFL football for a pure love of the game.

I think that the advice given in this thread has been solid. I think that reducing time spent on too many details that can all be derailed by bad luck or injury or whatever is a good idea. Just doing basic WW moves, setting your lineup and then going about your life is the way to go.

GO FALCONS!!!! well done

D-Day Heroes

Tired of FF

Post by D-Day Heroes » Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:48 pm

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Shrink Attack:

The thing I really don't like about Fantasy Football is that it has changed me from being a true NFL fan into a FF Addict. I use to enjoy watching NFL games for the pure joy of it. I loved the players, the strategy, the rivalries, the drama. Now, I concentrate on whose getting the touches in the Red Zone, and I'm furious when my RB doesn't get the rock at the 1-yard line. Is that being a real Football fan? No, it's not. That's also why I never play Fantasy Football during the NFL playoffs. I enjoy these games IMMENSELY without having to worry about whether my Fantasy players are doing well or not.

GO FALCONS!!!! [/QUOTE

I undersatnd where your comming from Shrinkman, BUT remeber this, these guys and teams u love so much , could give a Hoot about You or Me, Do you think thier going to put a check in the mail if your hurting for the Rent ?

So Just shake off that sentimental crap , and love every minute of your fantasy players' minutes :D
" When you are in any contest you should work as if there were - to the very last minute - a chance to lose it. "
- Dwight D. Eisenhower

kjduke

Tired of FF

Post by kjduke » Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:50 pm

shrink -

I like your approach, recognize you're going too far then scale it back 'til you find right balance.

No doubt in my mind FF is a net plus, but you can't get too obsessive. Find the right mix and I think you're both a better fan and you enjoy the games more.

trueblue

Tired of FF

Post by trueblue » Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:02 pm

not to change the subject, but i lost my love for any one specific professional team when free agency came along. i used to be a huge Reds fan, Steeler fan, and Laker fan. now, i just love the games, and the fantasy side just makes it more fun to watch. BTW, i DID say fun.

D-Day Heroes

Tired of FF

Post by D-Day Heroes » Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:12 pm

Originally posted by kentuckythunder:
not to change the subject, but i lost my love for any one specific professional team when free agency came along. i used to be a huge Reds fan, Steeler fan, and Laker fan. now, i just love the games, and the fantasy side just makes it more fun to watch. BTW, i DID say fun. Thats EXACTLY how i feel... when free agency started , the owners , players and coaches ALL forgot how to spell LOYALTY, so how can they expect the fans to remain loyal, ( I don't care how many Jerseys they sell, they do ).

Botom Line , they should thank thier lucky stars for Fantasy Sports, Besides the gamblers, its Fantasy Players that put money in thier pockets
- Dwight D. Eisenhower

TamuScarecrow

Tired of FF

Post by TamuScarecrow » Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:14 pm

It's post-draft partum, RC. I get so jacked up for the draft that the beginning of the season is kind of a downer. Then as the weeks go by, I start getting jacked up again for the playoffs, whether it be the championship round or the consolation round.

Let me make you feel better, my friend. I have already lost twice to SNAKE this year. In the NFFC Week 1, he beats me by 36 because Burleson goes down in the middle of a career game, Colston bumbs his thumb, Clark gets his knee whacked in the first quarter, and McGahee decides to suck on sunflower seeds next to the coach instead of play. Thanks to my depth, I have won the last 2 weeks and am back in the hunt.

This week in the NBC league, he beats me by 30 because Jacobs, Grant, and Lee Evans suck. Also, by having the Manning/Wayne connection, as go the Colts, so goes Pink Floyd so I can definitely feel your pain.

As Joel Osteen was saying the other night on TBN, don't let anyone or anything steal your joy. God wants and means for you to be happy and only your attitude and view of outside influences can change that. Having spent a couple of years with you drafting in Chicago, FF is too much of a joy for you to let some early bad breaks get you down.

I remember Year 1 playing in the league with GG crying about Dominic Davis and how bad his team was. Then around Week 6 he snatches up Droughns and a KC rb whose name escapes me now who got his team rolling and the rest is history. Don't lose it after only 3 weeks as anything can and usually does happen.
2005 NY/CHI League Champ
2006 CHI#2 3rd Place
2006 Auction Reg Season Champ
2007 TAM#2 2nd Place
2007 Auction Reg Season Champ
2009 LV#5 League Champ
2010 Auction Reg Season Champ
2011 LV#3 2nd Place
2012 LV Classic League Champ

Appleman

Tired of FF

Post by Appleman » Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:17 pm

I know from years of doing this that the biggest suffering is from rooting for a player to do well, and after he does , you realize that while you won one game, you lost two others! I cut down from 8-10 leagues to only 4, with the NFFC Main as a priority. This has helped my enjoyment level and made FF fun after years of the tired feeling.Plus, the Giant Super Bowl win made football really fun again! It combined fantasy victory( I won a FF playoof pool due to Eli) with my favorite NFL team winning!! We all love fantasy football, but remember we were football fans first!