Week 13 Thoughts

Tom Kessenich

Week 13 Thoughts

Post by Tom Kessenich » Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:43 am

Here are some thoughts and observations with every game but one now in the books for Week 13:

The Saints may have been handed a victory by the Redskins on Sunday but when you're having a miracle season you're usually getting all the breaks. And right now, everything is going the right way for the Saints. Just ask Robert Meachem.

Yup, Miles Austin is back all right.

In the past two games, Randy Moss has caught only five passes and has rarely been targeted by Tom Brady. The Patriots have lost both games. That is not a coincidence. He caught two passes for 66 yards, including a 58-yard TD, in the opening few minutes against Miami and then Brady ignored him for nearly the remainder of the game. I'm no NFL head coach but I can say with 100 percent certainty that's not a smart move to make if you're trying to win a football game.

I'm guessing that when the season began the Bengals and Steelers were pretty fired up to have the Raiders on their schedule. I'm guessing neither team is happy about that now.

I'm only going to say this one time people - never ever ever bench Calvin Johnson. Just don't do it, ok?

Correll Buckhalter topped 100 yards rushing against the Chiefs on Sunday. Imagine how many yards he would have gotten if he still had knees.

Jay Cutler threw for 130 yards in the first quarter against the Rams. He finished with 143 yards. That's the second game in a row he's had a 130-yard quarter and been held under 20 yards passing in the other three. That's an amazing level of ineptitude. He has become one of the worst QBs in the entire league. I honestly can't think of a QB I'd start Cutler ahead of right now. Maybe Kyle Boller. That's about it.

Hey look, Matt Forte is still in the NFL.

On behalf of Mike Sims-Walker owners everywhere, I spit on you David Garrard.

You could have won a lot of money if you made a bet before the season began that Alex Smith and Vince Young would be fantasy studs in the playoff stretch run. Crazy game we play, isn't it?

Speaking of the 49ers, I know they feel like they have a new toy with Smith but calling 45 passes and only giving the ball to Frank Gore 11 times against the Seahawks is stupid. That's right, I said it, Mike Singletary. Stupid. What are you gonna do about it?

I bought a carton of milk last night and I saw Vincent Jackson's picture on the back.

Kenny Britt is legit.

It took a few games but the Chris Chambers who the Chargers had no trouble getting rid of finally showed up. Sorry Kansas City. Oh, and sorry to the fantasy owners who bought into Chambers and started him this week.

Brent Celek has dropped four of the last six passes that have been thrown his way, including a potential touchdown against the Falcons. I know he did catch a TD pass against Atlanta, but there's no question in my opinion his injured thumb is a problem.

I don't know about anyone else, but I could care less about Michael Vick. He has easily been the season's biggest non-story that the networks feel they have to ram down our throats in every game the Eagles play.

Think Atlanta misses Matt Ryan and Michael Turner?

I think it's safe to say that Jason Witten is back.

Brady Quinn looked pretty good against the Chargers. Now San Diego's defense isn't all that impressive but Quinn hasn't shown much of anything against any defense other than Detroit's this season. So this represented progress.

LaDainian Tomlinson continues to offer little as a starting RB but he can still sniff out the end zone with the best of 'em.

Last night's embarrassing loss at Arizona probably ended Minnesota's chances to secure the No. 1 seed in the NFC. I don't think the Saints will be caught at this point.

Last night's game also knocked Brett Favre out of serious contention for the MVP award. He's still having a terrific season but it will take a miracle for him now to catch Peyton Manning or Drew Brees. An MVP simply doesn't allow his team to lose a game like the one the Vikings lost last night. Ditto for Chris Johnson. I love Light Blue Jesus, but if he wanted to win the MVP award, he needed to step up and drive the point home against the Colts and that didn't happen. So this one is a two-horse race between Manning and Brees. I've been voting for Manning all along but the last two games have me leaning toward Brees.

Double team Jared Allen and go exclusively with three-step drops and get rid of the ball quickly. Think Brees and Sean Payton noticed how vulnerable the Vikings were to that plan?

I know the Cardinals have some fine WR depth, but if I was their GM there's no way I'd let Anquan Boldin go.

Philip Rivers is having the best season in the NFL nobody is talking about.

Every time I watch Steve Smith I wonder if he might have gotten to the Hall of Fame if he had simply played with a consistent quarterback.

Matthew Stafford has some fine potential but he is the gift that keeps on giving for opposing defenses right now.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

mikeybok

Week 13 Thoughts

Post by mikeybok » Mon Dec 07, 2009 3:25 am

Originally posted by Tom Kessenich:

Last night's embarrassing loss at Arizona probably ended Minnesota's chances to secure the No. 1 seed in the NFC. I don't think the Saints will be caught at this point.

Last night's game also knocked Brett Favre out of serious contention for the MVP award. He's still having a terrific season but it will take a miracle for him now to catch Peyton Manning or Drew Brees. An MVP simply doesn't allow his team to lose a game like the one the Vikings lost last night. Ditto for Chris Johnson. I love Light Blue Jesus, but if he wanted to win the MVP award, he needed to step up and drive the point home against the Colts and that didn't happen. So this one is a two-horse race between Manning and Brees. I've been voting for Manning all along but the last two games have me leaning toward Brees.

Double team Jared Allen and go exclusively with three-step drops and get rid of the ball quickly. Think Brees and Sean Payton noticed how vulnerable the Vikings were to that plan?
Not sure a loss to Warner (division winner) is embarrassing ... but that was the first real passing offense the Vikings have faced. :eek:

Favre had a real bad game ... could have had 2 more picks real easy. I can't wait to see if they bounce back against Cincy. That game will be telling. The E. Henderson loss was a big deal.

[ December 07, 2009, 09:27 AM: Message edited by: Ugly Yellow Tomatoes ]
Hakuna Matata!

Tom Kessenich

Week 13 Thoughts

Post by Tom Kessenich » Mon Dec 07, 2009 3:32 am

The loss itself wasn't embarrassing in my opinion but it was the way the Vikings lost. They played with no emotion and didn't show anything of substance on either side of the ball. That was a very surprising lack of energy for a Primetime game with so much still at stake.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

mikeybok

Week 13 Thoughts

Post by mikeybok » Mon Dec 07, 2009 3:52 am

Originally posted by Tom Kessenich:
The loss itself wasn't embarrassing in my opinion but it was the way the Vikings lost. They played with no emotion and didn't show anything of substance on either side of the ball. That was a very surprising lack of energy for a Primetime game with so much still at stake. I agree that Warner got his team up for that game and you could really see the difference. The Vikings secondary was scary bad ... but the line got Zero pressure with their 4 man rush all night. They varied the 4 man rush with an occasional 3 man rush ... and the even faked a five man rush once in a while. :eek:

I don't remember a single blitz ... but by half time ... I was starting to black out ... so maybe it happened but I just don't remember.

My opinion was the Viking coaches got outplayed last night ... and Farve had a bad game and didn't make up for the bad game calling. Again ... maybe we should give more credit to Arizona as ... they could do no wrong and their line was great last night.
Hakuna Matata!

mikeybok

Week 13 Thoughts

Post by mikeybok » Mon Dec 07, 2009 3:53 am

BTW ... Warner is like 38 years old ... shouldn't the old guy retire already!
Hakuna Matata!

mikeybok

Week 13 Thoughts

Post by mikeybok » Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:19 am

Originally posted by GK:
...yep, can someone, ANYONE, PLEASE get the ball to Steve Smith (Carolina)?...thanks much...GK Yep ... we also have him on Both our main event teams ... benched him in one league. Had to play him in the other.
Hakuna Matata!

rkulaski

Week 13 Thoughts

Post by rkulaski » Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:20 pm

In regards to the Vikings- Cards game,

A dome team in the midwest taking a long trip to the dessert- might have something to do with it.

Kind of like NE going down to Florida and losing to Miami or the Pack going down to Tampa... or Oakland going to Pittsburgh... oh wait.

pizzatyme

Week 13 Thoughts

Post by pizzatyme » Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:38 pm

I'm tired of hearing the Announcers talk about Vick like he's some sort of victim!!!

Joe Addai getting it done.

I hope the Colts play the Saints in the Super Bowl!
2008- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic.
2009- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic or Primetime.

sportsbettingman

Week 13 Thoughts

Post by sportsbettingman » Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:00 pm

Originally posted by Just Russ:
I'm tired of hearing the Announcers talk about Vick like he's some sort of victim!!!

Joe Addai getting it done.

I hope the Colts play the Saints in the Super Bowl! Vick is the victim of a world gone p#ssy.

5 or 10 years ago...he'd have been slapped with a fine...and free to go.

Now it's a joke.
"The first man what makes a move can count amongst 'is treasure a ball from this pistol."

~Long John Silver