Will The NFL Go To An 18-Game Season In 2012?

BLACKHAND

Post by BLACKHAND » Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:45 pm

Originally posted by Tamuscarecrow:
The fact ALL of these guys are in the top 5% on income earners in the country loses cred with the sob story and more money beef. Do they deserve more money? Good question and I can't wait to see them fight over the answer. If I'm the owners, the argument I just made above will suffice in any union negotiations. If I'm the union, I have absolutely NO comeback for the above argument in today's economy and I start working on improving the retirement and insurance benefits. they are doing something that less than 5% of the country can do.
THIS IS THE BUSINESS WE HAVE CHOSEN

nostradamross

Post by nostradamross » Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:10 am

i know i'm in the minority but i think the nfl needs the 4 games to prepare for the regular season. look at the product on the field in the 3rd game and figure that's what the regular season will look like. if you don't want your regulars hurt don't play them as much in the preseason. it will also make it harder to judge talent. this will take away 2 games guys on the bubble have to show they belong.

nostradamross

Post by nostradamross » Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:13 am

Originally posted by Tamuscarecrow:
The fact ALL of these guys are in the top 5% on income earners in the country loses cred with the sob story and more money beef. Do they deserve more money? Good question and I can't wait to see them fight over the answer. If I'm the owners, the argument I just made above will suffice in any union negotiations. If I'm the union, I have absolutely NO comeback for the above argument in today's economy and I start working on improving the retirement and insurance benefits. the same could be said of the owners. why do the owners deserve a raise?

BLACKHAND

Post by BLACKHAND » Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:09 am

why ? because they own the team. do i like paying more for season tix. no. but lets be real. if any one of us had the talent to play in the nfl we would want every penny we could get. you cant compare a job in the nfl to any top income earners in the country. you can earn top money in the country for 20 years. if your lucky you earn top money in the nfl for 5 or 6 years. if im a player you would have to pay me top money. if anyone says no to this i just dont believe him. as far as the owners go money makes money. this is a biz and nothing more. nobody gets into anything to lose money.

renman

Post by renman » Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:08 am

I am interested in knowing how an 18 game schedule would change the fantasy format. Would the championship rounds or playoff weeks still be the final 3 weeks minus week 18? Would we have more "all-play" weeks before we get into our head to head schedule? I wonder what would change.

philpo

Post by philpo » Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:14 am

Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:
Well, what do you think of commissioner Roger Goodell saying the owners want an 18-game regular season in 2012? It's going to be a tough, tough sell to the players and if it goes 18 weeks the players will definitely demand more money and an extra bye week. Can the NFL really make this plan work?

If the NFL goes to 18 weeks and two bye weeks, will it have to start on Labor Day weekend? It's hard to imagine the owners starting on Labor Day weekend or even earlier, but could the season really go into mid February? Late February??

I think most fans agree that four pre-season games are too many and a waste of our money, but 18 weeks is just too grueling for the NFL bodies. I know the owners will get their way here, but it devalues the regular season slightly and will definitely result in more injuries. It will also lengthen the season into a tough time in late August or a tougher weather time in January and February.

What's your thoughts on this proposal?

Is the 18-game regular season going to be part of next year's labor impasse or the solution to it? Randy cross brought up a good point when they went from 14 to 16 games and reduced the pre season from 6 to 4 games their was no evidence of more injuries for the players. 18 games I like it 5 week playoffs for NFFC :D

BLACKHAND

Post by BLACKHAND » Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:43 am

Originally posted by Renman:
I am interested in knowing how an 18 game schedule would change the fantasy format. Would the championship rounds or playoff weeks still be the final 3 weeks minus week 18? Would we have more "all-play" weeks before we get into our head to head schedule? I wonder what would change. first thig that i think of would be a " play all " format so certain teams do not play each other twice. i kinda like that way better now but most would probably not agree.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:06 am

You know, after watching players falling like flies yesterday with injuries, you have to wonder if there is any way an 18-game season can actually happen. I know the owners think this is a done deal, but it's hard to believe that the Players Association can back this when they see their players suffering one injury after another.

And from a fan's standpoint, would an 18-game season be good for the game? Hey, I'd like to see two less pre-season games as much as anyone else because we're forced to pay for those tickets as season ticket holders. But I'm not sure 18 regular season games is going to help the product. Honestly, I think they'd almost have to go with two bye weeks with an 18-game season and then you're running the season into mid-February. Just crazy.

From an injury standpoint, does the owners' proposal make any sense anymore? Or am I just tainted about this after seeing 5 Packers land on the sidelines with injuries yesterday and their season basically derailed?
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

pizzatyme

Post by pizzatyme » Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:25 am

Greg, their season was derailed once they decided not to replace Grant with a NFL-caliber RB.

Back to your point, injuries happen every year. I think 2 BYEs are a necessity. They'll need to go to an expanded roster.

I think the real risk is at the QB position. I say put flags on them. :D
2008- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic.
2009- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic or Primetime.