Larry Fitzgerald: First-Round Pick Or First-Round Bust

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:03 am

Larry Fitzgerald has established himself as arguably the game's most talented WR. But his best work came with Kurt Warner at QB. Warner is gone and Matt Leinart has stepped back into the starting lineup.

And that is where the concern begins.

Leinart has been awful as a starter and his hold on the job in Arizona is precarious at best. And it's not like backup Derek Anderson has been all that impressive lately either. So while Fitzgerald is an incredible talent, can he overcome a poor QB situation? That's the question. Adding more to the discussion is the fact Fitz suffered a minor knee injury in the preseason opener. He's expected to be ready for the start of the season but that is something to monitor.

Fitz currently has an ADP of 16 in our 12-team drafts and an ADP of 10 in our 14-team leagues. That's a pretty sizeable difference since it moves him from the first round to the second depending on the format.

So for those of you targeting a WR early, is all of this enough for you to pass on Fitz and take Moss, Wayne, White or Calvin instead? Or do you belive his talent will win out and he'll justify a first-round or Top 15 pick?
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

kennorred

Post by kennorred » Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:12 am

Wasnt most of these drafts before he got hurt. Expect him to move down from the injury and Leinart doesnt look like an NFL QB.

Sandman62

Post by Sandman62 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:17 am

Yes Bama, most of us drafted him before the injury. Knowing what we know now, maybe we wouldn't have. But when he fell to us at 13, pre-injury, we took him and didn't look back.

kjduke

Post by kjduke » Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:13 am

Originally posted by Tom Kessenich:
So for those of you targeting a WR early, is all of this enough for you to pass on Fitz and take Moss, Wayne, White or Calvin instead? Or do you belive his talent will win out and he'll justify a first-round or Top 15 pick? I don't think he'll be a bust, but I've been taking everyone else you listed ahead of him all draft season. He comes into play with the next few wrs.

BLACKHAND

Post by BLACKHAND » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:02 am

didnt fitz have the same problem with his knee at the end of last year. plus leinart has not been a quality qb. what happens if the cards go 3-6 to start the year , very possible. will he go in the tank with a knee problem. i guess you can say the same about brandon marshall. chad henne is far from a stud qb and more of a head case than most.
THIS IS THE BUSINESS WE HAVE CHOSEN

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:12 am

I drafted Fitz in the first round of a couple early drafts. I would consider other options now. The Leinart issue was one thing, compounding it with potential knee issues is another.

Glenn

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:14 am

Originally posted by Glenneration X:
I drafted Fitz in the first round of a couple early drafts. I would consider other options now. The Leinart issue was one thing, compounding it with potential knee issues is another.

Glenn I've been leery of him for quite awhile now. Leinart is horrible and we've seen the negative impact a bad QB can have on even the most talented WRs. But now you toss in a knee injury - even if it's minor it's still there - and the risk is too great for me to take Fitz in the first round now. I'd take Moss, Wayne, Marshall, Austin, White and Calvin ahead of him.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:24 am

There seems to be A LOT of paranoia here.

Kyle Orton was AWFUL last year, but Brandon Marshall still put up great numbers.

Matthew Stafford was AWFUL last year, and Calvin put up good numbers.

Fitzgerald is one of those guys that is simply "special". NO ONE goes after the jump ball better, and his hands are 2nd to none.

What is going to happen here is that he is going to slide into the middle of the 2nd round of 14 team drafts, and people are going to be starting with Michael Turner/Steven Jackson AND Larry Fitzgerald (or dare I say Gore? :eek: ) Then everyone will say.... "How the hell did that happen?"

I understand there are concerns and all, but he shouldn't be sliding to any farther than the first 2-3 picks of round 2 in ANY 14 team draft (assuming that his knee is healthy).

He is too damn good! :D

[ August 18, 2010, 04:24 PM: Message edited by: BillyWaz ]