Wild Card Playoff Round - Who Are You Picking?

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:47 am

Originally posted by The Franchise:
This may seem strange, but I think the way Atlanta needs to combat the Giants pass rush is to spread them out and go no-huddle. You need to be aggressive and not play scared. The Giants secondary is a joke and if you try running the ball and run your base offense your playing right into the Giants hands.This is SPOT ON Nelson. If the Packers hold the ball for more than 3 seconds next week I'd be surprised. Quick slants, quick passes and spread them out with five wideouts. That will negate the front four.

Bring on the G-Men!!! We owe you one for that 2007 disaster at Lambeau Field!!! ;)
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

tommypickles

Post by tommypickles » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:56 am

Bring on the G-Men!!!

be careful what you ask for greg

Shrink Attack

Post by Shrink Attack » Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:09 am

Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:
quote:Originally posted by Shrink Attack:
quote:Originally posted by Bullgod:
F'ing TERRIBLE! How do you do that again? Because you're Mike "I do the same thing every time" Mularkey [/QUOTE]I hate to say this Paul, but it HAS to be hard being a Falcons' fan right now. They have underperformed once again and worse yet this potent offense didn't score a single point against a Giants' defense that has a good front four but a lot of backups in the secondary. The fact that they were so non-aggressive on offense is going to haunt them all off-season.

Wow, what an egg they layed here. I really expected better. I picked the Giants to win, but I really thought Atlanta could get it done on the road and come to Lambeau for a rematch of last year's second round game.

Bummer for you loyal Falcons fans.
[/QUOTE]I'm shamefully embarrassed.

Every Falcons fan in the world knew we needed to open up the passing game, go no-huddle, and pass the ball against this bad pass defense. Everyone knew that going in...except our pathetic coaching staff.

The Giants knew that the Falcons wouldn't do that because the coaches insisted they needed to "establish the run" first. When a defense already knows what's coming, it's much easier to stop it.

The most disheartening aspect of this whole thing is how poor the coaching is now. They can't and won't adjust in response to what's going on right before their very eyes. I've lost faith in them now, which is nothing short of demoralizing.

At least I'm not a Jets fan...
"Deserve" ain't got nothin' to do with it
---Clint Eastwood in The Unforgiven

JAHNS5

Post by JAHNS5 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:11 am

Bring in on!!! Remember the end of that game like yesterday....Unlike last night in New Orleans, I think the Giants will be bringing the guy with the red shirt in to their suite in Lambeau for the game.....GO PACK GO!!!

[ January 08, 2012, 03:13 PM: Message edited by: HAUS ]

Shrink Attack

Post by Shrink Attack » Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:12 am

And look what just arrived in my email inbox: My Atlanta Falcons season ticket renewal invoice!!

Nice timing from the geniuses in the front office.

[ January 08, 2012, 03:14 PM: Message edited by: Shrink Attack ]

bald is beautiful

Post by bald is beautiful » Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:08 am

Originally posted by Shrink Attack:
quote:Originally posted by The Franchise:
This may seem strange, but I think the way Atlanta needs to combat the Giants pass rush is to spread them out and go no-huddle. You need to be aggressive and not play scared. The Giants secondary is a joke and if you try running the ball and run your base offense your playing right into the Giants hands.

I don't disagree with this premise, but you're neglecting one critical element: The Atlanta Offensive Coordinator is Mike Mularkey and he's an idiot.

I have watched just about every single snap of every single Falcons game this year and I'm not exaggerating when I say I can predict the offensive play call 80% of the time. Ryan does MUCH better in the no-huddle scheme, but Mularkey often refuses to go to it and instead insists on trying to establish Michael Turner up the middle again and again and again no matter how ineffective it is. Ryan always seems to be facing 2nd and long and/or 3rd and long every series.

In that Overtime loss against the Saints, the Falcons faced a 4th and inches at their own 29 yard line. I knew Mularkey would run Turner up the middle...I knew it, everyone in my row knew it, the Saints knew it, Tom Kessenich's grandmother knew it. Everyone was screaming, "DON'T GIVE THE BALL TO TURNER UP THE MIDDLE!!!". Did that make Mularkey move off his stubborn insistence to not alter his game plan based on the flow of action? Nope. Turner up the middle for a LOSS.

I sure wish some stupid NFL Owner would hire Mularkey away from my football team.
[/QUOTE]Man, did you call that with Mularkey. Once I read your posts, I watched and saw your analysis was dead on.

[ January 08, 2012, 04:09 PM: Message edited by: Bald is Beautiful ]

Shrink Attack

Post by Shrink Attack » Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:37 am

This is one time I wish my analysis wasn't dead on.

Shrink Attack

Post by Shrink Attack » Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:55 pm

When Tim Tebow already has more career playoff wins than Matt Ryan, it really makes me wonder about the future of this current regime.

alanr824

Post by alanr824 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:59 pm

Originally posted by Shrink Attack:
When Tim Tebow already has more career playoff wins than Matt Ryan, it really makes me wonder about the future of this current regime. Atlanta has WAY too much talent on both sides of the ball, to have not won a playoff game with Matt Ryan. Its not like Ryan made a ton of mistakes today... he didn't... Just horrible coaching,.. horrible play calling. Did they throw the ball deep downfield once? Just a bad game plan and I believe the OC needs to be fired.

[ January 08, 2012, 08:03 PM: Message edited by: Al R G ]

Shrink Attack

Post by Shrink Attack » Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:14 pm

Originally posted by Al R G:
quote:Originally posted by Shrink Attack:
When Tim Tebow already has more career playoff wins than Matt Ryan, it really makes me wonder about the future of this current regime. Atlanta has WAY too much talent on both sides of the ball, to have not won a playoff game with Matt Ryan. Its not like Ryan made a ton of mistakes today... he didn't... Just horrible coaching,.. horrible play calling. Did they throw the ball deep downfield once? Just a bad game plan and I believe the OC needs to be fired. [/QUOTE]Completely agree.

Not one deep pass, and running off tackle on 1st down 90% of the time.

I've been reading a Falcons blog since the end of the game and the fans are furious at the coaching staff. If some heads don't roll, they are going to lose a lot of fan support next season.