Question for Tom and Greg, FFO

joetreff

Post by joetreff » Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:13 am

I think many posters would be interested in this answer.

The FFOC is basing their prize money on 50,000 entries at $125 a pop and they claim the money is in escrow.

I see they have lots of media partners and seem to be using CDM as their engine.

My question, do you think even 2000 entries is realistic? I personally think someone made a huge error in judgement in predicting possible # of entries. This could be a huge overlay for good players if the 1 mil is guaranteed right?

Captain Hook

Post by Captain Hook » Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:27 am

They only need 20,000 to make all the numbers work.

Whether they can even get that remains to be seen, but it is a cheap entry and they have discount packs, and are off to a decent start.

joetreff

Post by joetreff » Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:49 am

What info tells you they are off to a decent start? Not questioning you, just wondering if there is a way to keep up to date with their # of entries.

I've seen people not pay $100 for fantasy leagues after drafting in person, I've seen leagues here fill up over a few weeks and those only have 14 slots. 20,000 people willing to pay $125 just seems ludicrous to me.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:55 am

Originally posted by felixflamingo:
I think many posters would be interested in this answer.

The FFOC is basing their prize money on 50,000 entries at $125 a pop and they claim the money is in escrow.

I see they have lots of media partners and seem to be using CDM as their engine.

My question, do you think even 2000 entries is realistic? I personally think someone made a huge error in judgement in predicting possible # of entries. This could be a huge overlay for good players if the 1 mil is guaranteed right? I have talked to most folks involved with this contest and CDM is marketing this game through some of our e-mail newsletters and magazines as well. I do know a lot about this contest, but can't reveal any of the numbers. I will say that they do have good financial backing behind this and everyone is doing everything they can to get the word out, but there's no question the goals are lofty.

I think if you do the math, a goal of 13,000 teams is needed to pay the prizes. Now that won't pay for the rest of the operation, but that seems to be an area that covers the cost of the payouts. That's a lot, but you never know.

I have my own opinions on this contest, other contests and even my own contests during these heady times that I now call the Wild, Wild West of our industry. I'll keep them to myself right now. I'd keep an eye on everything before jumping in, but it would be easier if everyone just revealed their numbers like we are so that everyone could make intelligent decisions, right?
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

joetreff

Post by joetreff » Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:59 am

Right, plus since July is almost over that puts question marks on their three team package deal.

If the prize money is truly in escrow then this is a tremendous overlay for people. It is one thing for someone to say "the money is escrow" and another to say "the money will be placed in escrow"

With some payout problems contests have had in the past they might have been better off offering a $50 contest that gave away 100K.

perrylin

Post by perrylin » Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:01 am

I've known Brian Matthews and Charlie W at CDM for a long time. They have really deep pockets and if anyone can pull this off, they can.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:07 am

Originally posted by PunchyPerry9:
I've known Brian Matthews and Charlie W at CDM for a long time. They have really deep pockets and if anyone can pull this off, they can. It's not CDM guaranteeing the money. They are the back-end provider for this contest, like STATS is for our contest. They have also been hired to provide industry marketing for this contest. But this is NOT their contest.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

Raiders

Post by Raiders » Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:11 am

I believe it's John Smith owner of Papa John's.

Inf4life

Post by Inf4life » Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:17 am

Well, I know that we entered into this contest as well and bought the 3 team package. Hopefully this won't turn into an AFFL situation if we win some money.
2007 NFFC Classic Champion

Raiders

Post by Raiders » Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:20 am

Originally posted by Go Getta:
Well, I know that we entered into this contest as well and bought the 3 team package. Hopefully this won't turn into an AFFL situation if we win some money. Please pick 6 numbers between 1-50 and pick 3 sets of numbers.

Thanks. :D