Roster Size...

TradeStar28

Roster Size...

Post by TradeStar28 » Thu Sep 23, 2004 11:00 am

I believe that the ingredients of a NFFC champ is a plethora of many things.

Obviously we cannot control what happens in a draft because you have 1 pick each round and their are 13 other players who will also be selected.

In a nutshell, good draft preparation, key waiver wire pickups & FAAB money management, exploiting matchups each week if you have the depth, no significant amount of injuries to your team, players exceeding expectations and a WHOLE LOTTA LUCK will enable you to win.

Other than that....we are all on the same playing field!
2012 - FI$HER - Flying High Again

Gordon Gekko

Roster Size...

Post by Gordon Gekko » Thu Sep 23, 2004 11:20 am

Originally posted by Dyv:
I know it sucks that you have to do research and think and draft well and manage your teams well and all You'd have to do that whether you were in a 12 team or a 14 team league. Tell me something I don't know.

Originally posted by Dyv:
Maybe Greg can do a 6 team league exhibition 'cupcake' league... how about $12 entry fee, winner takes all? Draft on the Sunday following the draft... 10am brunch with tea and crumpets?Are you writing down your Christmas wish list again...

Maybe you can have the draft at the bakery...

[ September 23, 2004, 05:32 PM: Message edited by: Gordon Gekko ]
Is my "weekend warrior" prep better than your prep?

BLACKHAND

Roster Size...

Post by BLACKHAND » Thu Sep 23, 2004 1:02 pm

i think you really have to wait a few more weeks to tell about size of rosters. right now 18 seems ok. but maybe have an extra one or two spot injured reserve spot on your roster after the draft to put a player on which must be kept there for four weeks at a time. if you put a player like duce on it and he comes back early (after 3 weeks)you still can not put him on your active roster. problem is how to keep people from taking advantage of this by putting non-injured players on it. at least something like this can open your roster up if you have priest down , winslow out , qb and defense on bye weeks.(like myself)
THIS IS THE BUSINESS WE HAVE CHOSEN

BillyWaz

Roster Size...

Post by BillyWaz » Thu Sep 23, 2004 2:56 pm

Originally posted by THE_BLACKHAND:
[QB] but maybe have an extra one or two spot injured reserve spot on your roster after the draft to put a player on which must be kept there for four weeks at a time. if you put a player like duce on it and he comes back early (after 3 weeks)you still can not put him on your active roster. problem is how to keep people from taking advantage of this by putting non-injured players on it.I like the rule, but make it very simple, if a player plays a down and is on your injured reserve, he gets released automatically. Obviously you couldn't place guys with bye weeks that coming week on injured reserve, so this would be a TRUE injured list (Smith, Boldin, Winslow, etc.)

I am personally in favor of that also (since I have Boldin ;) )

renman

Roster Size...

Post by renman » Thu Sep 23, 2004 5:11 pm

i will chime in with my thoughts... i think a 12 team league would be better then 14. i think a 14 team league can really lend itself to success or failure being overly related to luck regarding injury. it does reward the more talented and prepared drafter but creates an environment where one bad injury ends your season or gives you life at someone else expense.

i think 12 teams allows for more legit talent to be spread around the league and less "grab a backup and hope for someone else's star to get injured so mine gets a roll" type of picks that can lead to winning or losing based on luck.

i also like the NO trading. as a lopsided trade can ruin a fantasy season. nothing worse then being a 1st place team, and watching the guy behind you FLEECE some other owner who has all but given up. and on the strength of that bad trade the guy goes flying by you in standings.

to me, 12 team league, 18 man rosters leads to more balance across the board. less desperation picks in draft and more value picks. should the 31st best RB be drafted ahead of and be more valuable then the 3rd best QB? this could lead to more free agent value to be bid on during season...

TradeStar28

Roster Size...

Post by TradeStar28 » Thu Sep 23, 2004 5:42 pm

I will have to admit...I like the 12 team - 20 round draft the best. I am only speculating that NFFC is 14 team league in order to be different from the other high stake contests out there.

The 12 team league is not an star team by any stretch of the imagination. Like Renman stated in above post....if you get an injury in 14 man league at a key position like RB...you are very limited in potential success.

Maybe Greg and Tom will have a vote @ end of year
2012 - FI$HER - Flying High Again

JerseyPaul

Roster Size...

Post by JerseyPaul » Thu Sep 23, 2004 5:57 pm

Another thought...

Fourteen teams allows a longer "regular season". Twelve teams could have a 13 game season with the addition of 2 "position weeks", maybe weeks 12 and 13, or something like 7 and 13.

In those weeks the #1 ranked team plays #2, #3 plays #4, etc. That ensures that you can recover from a loss to any one team and still win the league title.

I also understand it would affect the economics so a different prize structure would be required.

[ September 23, 2004, 11:58 PM: Message edited by: JerseyPaul ]

Tkats96

Roster Size...

Post by Tkats96 » Fri Sep 24, 2004 2:31 am

12 teams or 14 teams the talent will be spread around evenly regardless of league size. You guys haven't played but two weeks and you've already decided? Watch the bye weeks affect teams depth and coaching decisions (who to start, when). It will make things very interesting. Someone mentioned 12 teams 20 spots thats 240 vs the 252 spots we currently used. I don't think the last 12 kickers and defenses are making the difference. GIVE IT A CHANCE and i think all seasoned players will appreciate what it takes to win a largere league.

dgamblnman

Roster Size...

Post by dgamblnman » Fri Sep 24, 2004 2:34 am

Wow, I feel special

I really like the response: we need more FAs because I sucked in my draft and need to make my team better through the WW, so the more players available, I won't look like a total loser.... (just putting a rib out there, it's just a joke guys).

I do like the IR idea where a player needs to be on it for 4 weeks, but I would go a little further. After 4 weeks, if the player is active, he msut come off the IR, you cannot gold him there like ESPN does. I know in Yahoo, if your player comes off the DL, you cannot make a roster change until you activate him and drop a player.

I also thought of another idea, how about we have to have a minimum roster of 2QBs, 2RBs, 3WRs, 2 TEs, 2Ks, and 3 DEFs, then expanding the roster to 20 would not be so bad? So the extra 28 players would mainly come form the K, TE, DEF lists. And you will still have the FAs that are basically out there now.

I do like the 14 team league, it is very competitive and I think there is no draft afvantage. There was a study in WCOFF where the majority of the winners were usually picks 4-6 and 10-12. (Remember the huge "Faulk Factor" fiasco?)

Anyway, it was a very spirited desussion and I did the job I set out to do. (Dang, did I see that Gordon agreed with me... the world is ending )

Tkats96

Roster Size...

Post by Tkats96 » Fri Sep 24, 2004 2:54 am

I do have to add that the Waiver Wire is not as helpful when the players are ranked right on the site. When you have to be aware of who is performing and who is available in your perticular league it becomes much more of a weapon to improve your team. But with this system even nnoy can find help. Sorry nnoy, but didn't want to offend the deaf, dumb or blind.