Lets End The Skill/Luck Debate Once and For - A While

Gordon Gekko II

Post by Gordon Gekko II » Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:56 pm

Originally posted by FantasyFactor:
Like drafting A.Gonzalez and not backing him up with their 19th pick now that they have one? :rolleyes: sounds like another monday morning QB :D

bobsgym13

Post by bobsgym13 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:57 pm

Originally posted by Gekko:
quote:Originally posted by Nag':
Luck is an absolute constant in this hobby. Sometimes you have more good luck one year, sometimes you have less. Some teams are lucky, some are not. Some players get hurt, others players win starting jobs at the expense of the injured. Over the course of time, it all evens out in the end.

Skill is a variable. It is something you can attain and improve on with time and effort. It is something that is varies from owner to owner. Over the course of time, it is skill that determines who succeeds and who fails in FF.
now, i might be able to buy this for baseball, as it's gameplay foundation isn't made up of H2H (luck), and the big prize winner isn't determined by a 3 week sprint (very short run).
[/QUOTE]If your measure of good = big checks then you are right
If your measure of good = high points over many years/teams then you are wrong
Luck in FF is like a game of Russian Roulette. The BWaz's of the world only have one bullet to spin - the rest of us have two. It's still mostly luck, but ...
-By Bob (For Gekko)

Gordon Gekko II

Post by Gordon Gekko II » Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:58 pm

Originally posted by Bob Squad:
Note to self: Smaller words and sentences and lots of smilies. i'll settle for a post that is coherent!

bobsgym13

Post by bobsgym13 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:03 pm

quote:Originally posted by Bob Squad:
Note to self: Smaller words and sentences and lots of smilies. i'll settle for a post that is coherent! [/QUOTE]Small sample size = skill component unknown

Large sample size = compilation of career decisions = average career points = skill known
Luck in FF is like a game of Russian Roulette. The BWaz's of the world only have one bullet to spin - the rest of us have two. It's still mostly luck, but ...
-By Bob (For Gekko)

Gordon Gekko II

Post by Gordon Gekko II » Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:04 pm

PS folks - Don't forget to spend bIg on Ryan Moats. He can single-handedly win you your league. Just look what he did last week. :eek:

Shrink Attack

Post by Shrink Attack » Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:33 pm

quote:Originally posted by FantasyFactor:
Like drafting A.Gonzalez and not backing him up with their 19th pick now that they have one? :rolleyes: sounds like another monday morning QB :D [/QUOTE]So let me get this straight:

If someone doesn't draft a good backup to their 7th Round TE pick, then it's legitimate to call that person unskilled.

But if someone else points out that a 3rd Round WR pick wasn't adequately backed up by a readily available late Round pick, then the person pointing this out is being a Monday Morning QB.

I guess I need charts, graphs, and other visual aids to fully understand this logic.
"Deserve" ain't got nothin' to do with it
---Clint Eastwood in The Unforgiven

Gordon Gekko II

Post by Gordon Gekko II » Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:50 pm

Originally posted by Shrink Attack:
So let me get this straight:

If someone doesn't draft a good backup to their 7th Round TE pick, then it's legitimate to call that person unskilled.

But if someone else points out that a 3rd Round WR pick wasn't adequately backed up by a readily available late Round pick, then the person pointing this out is being a Monday Morning QB.

I guess I need charts, graphs, and other visual aids to fully understand this logic. here's what i said paul..."if an owner can't overcome an injury to their 7th rounder (esp since he way overperformed the first 7 weeks of the season), they can't be that skilled. sorry. we are talking a 7th rounder here. not a 1st or 2nd."

personally, i role with 1 TE most times in NFFC leagues. if i get burnt, i'll take the medicine. if that's unskilled, so be it.

Raiders

Post by Raiders » Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:21 pm

'personally, i role with 1 TE most times in NFFC leagues. if i get burnt, i'll take the medicine. if that's unskilled, so be it. '

Agree, pick a solid TE and fill out your roster. There really only is about 15 Good TE's, unless You want to be that Player who drafts two Te's too play one in a flex, I would never do that, but that's just me.

lumpy463

Post by lumpy463 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:26 pm

I think it is safe to say Kyle Pope and I are proof it is all luck!

Derek "Lucky" Anderson
Derek "Lumpy" Anderson