Lets End The Skill/Luck Debate Once and For - A While

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:41 pm

Originally posted by sportsbettingman:
quote:Originally posted by BillyWaz:
Now I gotta go whip my daughter in Wii baseball! :D If you haven't already...get the game "Wii Resort"...it comes with two controller extensions valued at $40! The game rocks, and the extensions make the controller way better! [/QUOTE]I've heard that was good from a few people. Isn't there a "Wii Resort 2" as well?

Gordon Gekko II

Post by Gordon Gekko II » Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:57 pm

i wish the Wii sports baseball game was more than 3 innings!!! :mad:

sportsbettingman

Post by sportsbettingman » Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:59 pm

Originally posted by BillyWaz:
quote:Originally posted by sportsbettingman:
quote:Originally posted by BillyWaz:
Now I gotta go whip my daughter in Wii baseball! :D If you haven't already...get the game "Wii Resort"...it comes with two controller extensions valued at $40! The game rocks, and the extensions make the controller way better! [/QUOTE]I've heard that was good from a few people. Isn't there a "Wii Resort 2" as well?
[/QUOTE]Sorry...it's Wii SPORTS Resort. (not Wii Resort) It is kind of like a Wii Sports 2. Lots of games to play. Ping Pong, Swordplay :eek: ;) :D , Wakeboarding, Archery, Frisbee (w/dog), Basketball (fun!), Power Cruising, Cycling, Improved Golf, Improved Bowling, Canoeing, Air sports" (controlling a plane), and of course all of the different aspects and unlockables of each.

OK...off to play Chutes and Ladders with the neighbors...Team Turbes totally owns the block! Cha-Ching! :D

[ November 06, 2009, 07:06 PM: Message edited by: sportsbettingman ]
"The first man what makes a move can count amongst 'is treasure a ball from this pistol."

~Long John Silver

Gordon Gekko II

Post by Gordon Gekko II » Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:50 pm

Sorry for the delayed response, nag. My wife stuck me on baby watch last night and this morning. I just got my baby back to sleep.

As long as an owner has “average” knowledge of fantasy football and puts in a few hours a week (let’s say 5 because that’s what I used in my earlier example), it’s my opinion they will almost be as successful as an owner who has “expert” knowledge and puts in 25+ hours a week. Most of the “expert/25+hr” owners BELIEVE they have a tremendous advantage over the “average/5hr” owners. The HAVE to believe this, otherwise, they wouldn’t be able to justify spending that amount of time.

The TRUTH is IMO, yes, those owners hold an advantage, but because the luck factor is so great, it will override most of the advantage.

Here’s an example: If an owner gets lucky in his H2H matchup and plays against a team that puts up a very low score, they will most likely win regardless of their skill level.

Here’s another example: If an owner gets unlucky in his H2H matchup and plays against a team that puts up a very high score, they will most likely lose regardless of their skill level.

You have no control over your opponents…which puts H2H in the 100% luck category for me.

KOTRAX

Post by KOTRAX » Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:40 pm

HOW OFTEN IS THAT A FACTOR THOUGH G.G.? SO I GUESS YOU SEE FANTASY FOOTBALL LIKE TEXAS HOLD'EM.

AS LONG AS YOU HAVE A "WORKING KNOWLEDGE" OF THE GAME ANYONE CAN BEAT ANYONE CORRECT?

LETS TAKE IT A STEP FURTHER. I WAS LUCKY IN OUR MATCHUP THIS PAST WEEKEND BECAUSE MOORE GOT HURT.

OR BETTER YET I WAS LUCKY THAT ADDAI THREW THE TD PASS TO WAYNE VERSUS MANNING SINCE I HAVE ADDAI YOU HAVE MANNING SO YOU WOULD HAVE WON BY 4 INSTEAD OF ME.

Gordon Gekko II

Post by Gordon Gekko II » Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:01 am

Originally posted by KOTRAX:
HOW OFTEN IS THAT A FACTOR THOUGH G.G.? SO I GUESS YOU SEE FANTASY FOOTBALL LIKE TEXAS HOLD'EM.

AS LONG AS YOU HAVE A "WORKING KNOWLEDGE" OF THE GAME ANYONE CAN BEAT ANYONE CORRECT?

LETS TAKE IT A STEP FURTHER. I WAS LUCKY IN OUR MATCHUP THIS PAST WEEKEND BECAUSE MOORE GOT HURT.

OR BETTER YET I WAS LUCKY THAT ADDAI THREW THE TD PASS TO WAYNE VERSUS MANNING SINCE I HAVE ADDAI YOU HAVE MANNING SO YOU WOULD HAVE WON BY 4 INSTEAD OF ME. i haven't done any in depth studies on it, but i know for a fact if the team you are playing against drops a large total on you, it likely doesn't matter how skilled you are or are not.

as for you beating me by a slim margin last week, maybe due to moore getting hurt or addai throwing a td instead of manning, this is HOW fantasy football is played. however, i (unlike others) don't walk around thinking this is a mostly skill game, or in nag's case 100% skill

"Any Given Sunday", right Kotrax?

bobsgym13

Post by bobsgym13 » Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:54 am

Originally posted by Gekko:
quote:Originally posted by KOTRAX:

OR BETTER YET I WAS LUCKY THAT ADDAI THREW THE TD PASS TO WAYNE VERSUS MANNING SINCE I HAVE ADDAI YOU HAVE MANNING SO YOU WOULD HAVE WON BY 4 INSTEAD OF ME. i haven't done any in depth studies on it, but i know for a fact if the team you are playing against drops a large total on you, it likely doesn't matter how skilled you are or are not.

as for you beating me by a slim margin last week, maybe due to moore getting hurt or addai throwing a td instead of manning, this is HOW fantasy football is played. however, i (unlike others) don't walk around thinking this is a mostly skill game, or in nag's case 100% skill

[/QUOTE]A career (5+ years) point average is the only valid proof of skill level.

Bob

[ November 07, 2009, 06:56 AM: Message edited by: Bob Squad ]
Luck in FF is like a game of Russian Roulette. The BWaz's of the world only have one bullet to spin - the rest of us have two. It's still mostly luck, but ...
-By Bob (For Gekko)

Raiders

Post by Raiders » Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:56 am

Originally posted by Bob Squad:
quote:Originally posted by Gekko:
quote:Originally posted by KOTRAX:

[/QUOTE]A career of 5+ years of a high average point total is the only proof of being highly skilled.

Bob
[/QUOTE]How many players have played 5 years in this Contest? Not me, my 3rd.

John

botherk

Post by botherk » Sat Nov 07, 2009 2:28 am

Sorry for the delayed response, nag. My wife stuck me on baby watch last night and this morning. I just got my baby back to sleep.

As long as an owner has “average” knowledge of fantasy football and puts in a few hours a week (let’s say 5 because that’s what I used in my earlier example), it’s my opinion they will almost be as successful as an owner who has “expert” knowledge and puts in 25+ hours a week. Most of the “expert/25+hr” owners BELIEVE they have a tremendous advantage over the “average/5hr” owners. The HAVE to believe this, otherwise, they wouldn’t be able to justify spending that amount of time.

The TRUTH is IMO, yes, those owners hold an advantage, but because the luck factor is so great, it will override most of the advantage.

Here’s an example: If an owner gets lucky in his H2H matchup and plays against a team that puts up a very low score, they will most likely win regardless of their skill level.

Here’s another example: If an owner gets unlucky in his H2H matchup and plays against a team that puts up a very high score, they will most likely lose regardless of their skill level.

You have no control over your opponents…which puts H2H in the 100% luck category for me. True enough.
All the hours put in means nothing when your opponent has Chris Johnson setting a record for points a long with a few other players lighting it up.
Sort of like the office pool. All the males know everything about football, but the girl who likes Green Bay's colors and Peyton's butt wins the money.
Alge? Braylon? Knowshon?
C'mon parents!

Here are some names for football players.
Ouch, Hitcha, Juke, Blitz

Nag'

Post by Nag' » Sat Nov 07, 2009 2:36 am

You have no control over your opponents…which puts H2H in the 100% luck category for me. Don't worry about the late response Gekko. Looks like you simply repeated the same thing you stated in your previous posts, yet the question I posed to you went unanswered.

When you are ready to address the question of why you feel the 5/hour owners benefit from luck more than the 25/hour owners, let me know and we can go back to the debate.

Take your time! ;)
For Players. By Players.