6 Viable Options For 2012 FAAB In The NFFC In 2012

Sandman62

Post by Sandman62 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:24 am

This was from the Thurs. night game thread, but more relevant to post here:

Originally posted by Al R G:
It is so rare for a player to get more injured on Thursday or Friday, than he already is. If he is hurt from Sunday's game, you are going to get a replacement for him, whether he is ruled out Thursday or ruled out Saturday. But what isn't rare is for a player's status to be UPGRADED on Thurs. or Fri. So if FAAB runs on Wed. and a player you plan to start that week is "questionable", you may be compelled to pickup someone else. Then on Thurs. or Fri., your questionable player is upgraded to "probable" or taken off the injury report altogether - but you've already burnt money on a player you only picked up for that "emergency". Obviously, if FAAB runs on Fri., you wouldn't have wasted that money (assuming you didn't just want that player for your bench anyway).

Shrink Attack

Post by Shrink Attack » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:56 am

Originally posted by Sandman62:
This was from the Thurs. night game thread, but more relevant to post here:

quote:Originally posted by Al R G:
It is so rare for a player to get more injured on Thursday or Friday, than he already is. If he is hurt from Sunday's game, you are going to get a replacement for him, whether he is ruled out Thursday or ruled out Saturday. But what isn't rare is for a player's status to be UPGRADED on Thurs. or Fri. So if FAAB runs on Wed. and a player you plan to start that week is "questionable", you may be compelled to pickup someone else. Then on Thurs. or Fri., your questionable player is upgraded to "probable" or taken off the injury report altogether - but you've already burnt money on a player you only picked up for that "emergency". Obviously, if FAAB runs on Fri., you wouldn't have wasted that money (assuming you didn't just want that player for your bench anyway). [/QUOTE]I understand what you're saying, but isn't that what depth is all about? Isn't building depth on your bench for such situations part of the skill of being a Fantasy Owner? Isn't that one of the major factors separating the prepared Fantasy Owner from the unprepared one?

I know you're now going to avalanche me with a bunch of examples and talk about things being "fair" and the need to decrease "luck" and all that. But it doesn't change the fact that building a bench through the DRAFT and then stocking your bench via the waiver wire AHEAD OF TIME for contingencies speaks much more about the skill of a Fantasy Owner than all this whining about the available injury reports on Wednesday.
"Deserve" ain't got nothin' to do with it
---Clint Eastwood in The Unforgiven

Sandman62

Post by Sandman62 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:01 am

I'm not sure that this situation only occurs for "unprepared" owners? Sometimes, due to byes and injuries, roster spots can become precious. Having to drop a player on Wed. because you think that one of your intended starters won't play, only to find out on Fri. that you didn't really have to make that move, can be frustrating - and not necessarily "unprepared", IMHO.

[ February 19, 2012, 05:02 PM: Message edited by: Sandman62 ]

Sandman62

Post by Sandman62 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:29 am

I don't know about the rest of you, but with numerous options and all of the pros and cons of each involved in this decision, I find it hard to keep track. Someone makes a good point for/against one of the options, and I can see their point, and perhaps start to lean that way. Then someone else makes another good point on an entirely different issue for/against one of the other options. There are 10 pages in this thread and at least that many in the prior "Thurs. night games" one.

For some people who have already made up their minds, further analysis won't likely be necessary. But for anyone else like me whose head is still spinning from all of the narrative data, I needed a way to get a bird’s eye view of everything, as close as possible to all on one page.

So, in an effort to try to consolidate the issues of all the options, I created... drumroll? Yes... a spreadsheet!

Though I've included my own initial ratings, these aren't even necessarily my final ratings. I just needed to put some numbers in to verify the formulas. I will continue to review this data though, and likely arrive at my final opinion soon. I’m not surprised how close some of the scores are either, given all of the great arguments.

The way you use this tool is:
1. I’ve sifted through both of the mammoth threads on this topic and captured what seemed to be the most popular or pertinent points. Add any other notes, comments, opinions you desire about how each option addresses each issue.
2. Assign a value to weight each issue at the top of the spreadsheet. How important to YOU are Effort, Time Windows, Luck and Flexibility?
3. Rate each option’s implementation in regards to each issue.

The spreadsheet will then calculate a total Option Score for each option and highlight in bold red the highest score.

As with any quantifiable tool, one can always skew the numbers to arrive at a preconception, if desired. But for anyone who just wants a way to capture and review all of the points of all of the options before making a decision, maybe this can help. Truthfully, I'm not even sure this will help each of us vote in the survey, with there really being no perfect option. But it was worth a shot.

Here's the spreadsheet:
NFFC 2012 FAAB Options spreadsheet

[ February 19, 2012, 05:30 PM: Message edited by: Sandman62 ]

Shrink Attack

Post by Shrink Attack » Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:55 pm

I don't know about the rest of you, but with numerous options and all of the pros and cons of each involved in this decision, I find it hard to keep track. Someone makes a good point for/against one of the options, and I can see their point, and perhaps start to lean that way. Then someone else makes another good point on an entirely different issue for/against one of the other options. There are 10 pages in this thread and at least that many in the prior "Thurs. night games" one.

For some people who have already made up their minds, further analysis won't likely be necessary. But for anyone else like me whose head is still spinning from all of the narrative data, I needed a way to get a bird’s eye view of everything, as close as possible to all on one page.

So, in an effort to try to consolidate the issues of all the options, I created... drumroll? Yes... a spreadsheet!

Though I've included my own initial ratings, these aren't even necessarily my final ratings. I just needed to put some numbers in to verify the formulas. I will continue to review this data though, and likely arrive at my final opinion soon. I’m not surprised how close some of the scores are either, given all of the great arguments.

1. I’ve sifted through both of the mammoth threads on this topic and captured what seemed to be the most popular or pertinent points. Add any other notes, comments, opinions you desire about how each option addresses each issue.
2. Assign a value to weight each issue at the top of the spreadsheet. How important to YOU are Effort, Time Windows, Luck and Flexibility?

The spreadsheet will then calculate a total Option Score for each option and highlight in bold red the highest score.

As with any quantifiable tool, one can always skew the numbers to arrive at a preconception, if desired. But for anyone who just wants a way to capture and review all of the points of all of the options before making a decision, maybe this can help. Truthfully, I'm not even sure this will help each of us vote in the survey, with there really being no perfect option. But it was worth a shot.

Here's the spreadsheet:
NFFC 2012 FAAB Options spreadsheet Wow, Mike. Impressive. Thanks for posting it.
"Deserve" ain't got nothin' to do with it
---Clint Eastwood in The Unforgiven

alanr824

Post by alanr824 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:12 pm

Here's the spreadsheet:
NFFC 2012 FAAB Options spreadsheet Wow this is awesome. Although I disagree with some of the ratings, I would say this is a great way to weigh the options. Thanks!!!

[ February 19, 2012, 08:14 PM: Message edited by: Al R G ]

slam

Post by slam » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:37 pm

Great spread sheet.
No matter what option is chosen, it will involve some strategy changes.
Players will need to adapt-some will take more risks, others will insure against those same risks.
Ultimately often your strategy determines how much that "luck" affects you.
Author, Fantasy Football Guidebook: Your Comprehensive Guide to Playing Fantasy Football and Fantasy Football Tips: 201 Ways to Win through Player Rankings, Cheat Sheets and Better Drafting (Available at www.fantasyfootballguidebook.com )