Lets End The Skill/Luck Debate Once and For - A While

Sandman62

Post by Sandman62 » Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:38 am

Doesn't the suggestion to count your season average THREE times instead of one balance out the importance of the reg. season vs. the "luck" of the 3-week playoffs?

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:00 am

Yes, it probably does.

However, good luck getting that implemented, as many think that even 1.5 times is way too much.

Sandman62

Post by Sandman62 » Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:10 am

Well, if full rotisserie would be 16 games of points only, and the way it is now is 13 games of reg. season is reduced to just 1x your average, adding 3 games to that for the playoffs... why isn't 3x the average a good compromise?

Methinks some folks will never admit it, but they WANT a chance to beat teams that they know they really have no business beating? :D

[ November 08, 2009, 05:11 PM: Message edited by: Sandman62 ]

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:28 am

Originally posted by Sandman62:
Well, if full rotisserie would be 16 games of points only, and the way it is now is 13 games of reg. season is reduced to just 1x your average, adding 3 games to that for the playoffs... why isn't 3x the average a good compromise?

Methinks some folks will never admit it, but they WANT a chance to beat teams that they know they really have no business beating? :D Yep, probably.

However, it keeps more teams "in the game".

Out of curiousity, do you have a team that is doing very well in points this season?? ;)

Sandman62

Post by Sandman62 » Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:50 am

Yes, our team is doing well in points (tied for 2nd overall coming into today). We're also doing well in H2H too (8-0 :D ). But I've lobbied my local leagues for YEARS to reduce the luck factor as much as possible and by any means.

We've lost a couple local league playoff games in a 10-team league that let SIX teams into the playoffs. You can imagine the point disparity in those.

[ November 08, 2009, 05:51 PM: Message edited by: Sandman62 ]

sportsbettingman

Post by sportsbettingman » Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:51 am

"The outcome is uncertain"...

...is only second to sex in selling! :D :D :D
"The first man what makes a move can count amongst 'is treasure a ball from this pistol."

~Long John Silver

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:07 pm

Originally posted by Sandman62:
Yes, our team is doing well in points (tied for 2nd overall coming into today). We're also doing well in H2H too (8-0 :D ). But I've lobbied my local leagues for YEARS to reduce the luck factor as much as possible and by any means.

We've lost a couple local league playoff games in a 10-team league that let SIX teams into the playoffs. You can imagine the point disparity in those. I'm on your side Sandman! :D Nothing worse than dominating a league during the regular season, and getting beat by a "hot team" in the playoffs. :(

The problem is once a group of owners established themselves as CONSISTENT winners under a 3x format (and I'm betting it would happen), I highly doubt some would "pony up" $1,400 to try and beat people they probably know they can't compete against. That would cause less entries, and ultimately the end of the NFFC. :(

Like Lance said, "the outcome is uncertain", gives MANY more people a chance to win.

Sandman62

Post by Sandman62 » Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:16 pm

Let 'em HAVE a chance to win their 14-team league (most likely by H2H). But make them EARN the big money.

bobsgym13

Post by bobsgym13 » Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:15 am

Originally posted by BillyWaz:
quote:Originally posted by Sandman62:

We've lost a couple local league playoff games in a 10-team league that let SIX teams into the playoffs. You can imagine the point disparity in those. I'm on your side Sandman! :D Nothing worse than dominating a league during the regular season, and getting beat by a "hot team" in the playoffs. :(

The problem is once a group of owners established themselves as CONSISTENT winners under a 3x format (and I'm betting it would happen), I highly doubt some would "pony up" $1,400 to try and beat people they probably know they can't compete against. That would cause less entries, and ultimately the end of the NFFC. :(

Like Lance said, "the outcome is uncertain", gives MANY more people a chance to win.
[/QUOTE]In 2006, when Wayne and I first played, we won our league (I'm sure you remember Billy) with either the 5th or 6th most points in our league. We had just won $5k and wouldn't have cared what our point disadvantage was in the 3 week playoff.

All of the teams that 'sneak' into the playoffs have already cashed $2500 and have a chance at another $2500 by beating one team.

IMO 2x or 3x would not chase off anyone.

Bob

[ November 09, 2009, 06:16 AM: Message edited by: Bob Squad ]
Luck in FF is like a game of Russian Roulette. The BWaz's of the world only have one bullet to spin - the rest of us have two. It's still mostly luck, but ...
-By Bob (For Gekko)

Sandman62

Post by Sandman62 » Fri Jan 01, 2010 4:39 am

Originally posted by Gekko:
quote:Originally posted by Just Russ:
I'm ready for a good game of chess. High Stakes chess leagues here I come! russ - are u serious? do you play? i use to play a couple times a week when i was in my high school days. i liked it A LOT, but had trouble finding opponents (ie, my friends weren't into it) [/QUOTE]I played a lot as a kid, then taught my son to play when he was 8 or 9 and played a bit w/ him. Not much in the past several years.

After coming in 3rd place in a 5th or 6th grade school tourney, the school entered the top 4 into a local tourney at Providence College (and some others thereafter). Though I didn't win in these larger tourneys, I got something IMO even more valuable - my picture on the front page of the Sunday paper. :D I did beat my younger opponent in this match, but I recall a young boy beating the crap out of me in a later match! Maybe he was just "luckier" than me? Naah, he had more "skill". :D

[ January 01, 2010, 10:43 AM: Message edited by: Sandman62 ]