Playoff Handicapping - what do you think?

Route Collectors

Post by Route Collectors » Mon Dec 05, 2005 4:34 pm

Greg asked me to start this thread to get feedback on the subject of playoff handicapping.
Currently all teams will start the playoffs with their 13 week scoring average. If you averaged 130 points per week through the first 13 weeks, you start off with 130 points. Simple enough!

Here's the question - and you should really give this a little thought before responding:

Is the current handicapping the best choice for the NFFC? If so - why? If not - then what would be better?

Currently the overall points champ after 13 weeks gets nothing additional. If that's OK then why do we have an overall points leaderboard?

Current handicapping presents little reward. For every 13 points you're ahead of someone else you get a 1 point advantage.

To illustrate how ridiculously small this advantage is: the current overall points leader averages about 149 points per game while the overall last place (280th) team averages about 89 points per game. Best case scenerio that's a whopping 60 point handicap. It won't be nearly that much against other playoff teams.

That is a synopsis of the way things currently are. I am not currently proposing or supporting a specific change. I am however making a call to the intelligent "thinking" crowd to say "is a change necessary"? If we're going to handicap the playoffs, should the handicap amount to more than 1/13th of what someone has amassed throughout the year? Again, I'm just asking.

If the current handicapping doesn't amount to much then should it be increased, abandoned...etc?

If abandoned, then should a prize be awarded for the overall points leader after 13 weeks? I will let your intelligent minds speak on this before I offer my own opinion. My only plea to you is that we make this a pleasant discussion for Gregs sake. I think we've put him through the fire enough lately. Maybe he deserves a break - so try to play nice.

Jeff

King of Queens

Post by King of Queens » Mon Dec 05, 2005 4:42 pm

Thanks for starting the thread -- it's a worthwhile discussion that I was just having with SNAKE on another thread.

My two cents:

I say either increase the advantage (2x seems fair) or get rid of it altogether. As it stands it's fairly meaningless.

If we eliminate the edge, give the Weeks 1-13 Points Champ a prize of $1250 or a free year's play.

SGhammer

Post by SGhammer » Mon Dec 05, 2005 5:00 pm

At the Fantasy Jungle we use 1.5 x the average and also award a prize for the overall points leader during the regular season. It is a well deserved prize in my opinion.

RI WORKHORSE

Post by RI WORKHORSE » Mon Dec 05, 2005 5:26 pm

I think you should get rid of it all together.raises to many what if's.let us battle on a even field for the three weeks.I think all of us were thinking alike this week.I to was also sitting back thinking,wow someone is first overall in points in the whole nffc and gets nothing.definately deserves some cash or some cool sports prizes.mabey like 4 or 5 mitchell & ness jerseys.but I want a w. payton jersey available this time.LOL
I.W
Johnny Frisella

Diesel

Post by Diesel » Mon Dec 05, 2005 5:41 pm

[QUOTE]Originally posted by King of Queens:

My two cents:

If we eliminate the edge, give the Weeks 1-13 Points Champ a prize of $1250 or a free year's play. [/QB][/QUOTE

----------------------------------

I think you hit it on the nose. That sounds more than fair. I second that notion.
*Ranked #1 Average Fantasy Football Player in the Nation 2004-2013

"Fantasy sports are all about LUCK. Except when I win."

Eddiejag

Post by Eddiejag » Tue Dec 06, 2005 12:53 am

Actually im suprised this wasnt already taken care of. Last the team NEW went undefeated with the most points , im pretty sure that was the case. How do you come away with nothing, then GEKKO who was rated 22 going into the playoffs , gets hot for 3 weeks and wins the whole 100.000.
How can the guy who won 13 weeks get nothing, i think that's sick. I also dont think the free entry fee is enough. The money isnt put out fairly, the 100.000 just takes up to much of the money to make the other prizes right. Hell 2nd place is i think 15 thousand , look at this gap.
In most leagues im in it goes something like this , example] 1st 2000 2nd 1000 3rd 500 and 4th 400. The promblem is the 1oo.ooo it takes up to much of the money.IF your ahead after 13 weeks since this is a point league , 10.000.
THIS isnt a disrespect to greg just my opinion.
NFBC (NY) auction league champion!
Bad(ass)Angels

He who steps to me in 2005, you better realize you dont have enough jive..... TURKEY!

Route Collectors

Post by Route Collectors » Tue Dec 06, 2005 2:18 am

These are good points fellas, keep it coming.
Just a quick correction EJ - Team New actually lost in week 13 and Gekko was 8th going into the playoffs. His hot streak started about 5 weeks prior to the playoffs when he was WAY back in points, however, I get your drift.

Quahogs

Post by Quahogs » Tue Dec 06, 2005 2:33 am

Why not award the 100k to the team that compiled the most points thru the whole contest ? That's the way the NFBC winner is handled. That way you're rewarding the team that had the best start (draft), best midseason maintenance (good FA acquisitions), and stayed injury free (most luck). Shouldnt that be the determinant instead of weighing the 1st 13 weeks at only 25%? It may be a bit anticlimactic and less exciting but it will get you a true champion. That and make the league pt champion vs the league best record champion fight for the top league prize weeks 13-16 using their 1st 13wks avg.

p.s. - you really can't argue that the rules as they are now are unfair. The current rules are plain as day. Everyone knew going in weeks 14-16 make up 75% of the overall winners total. Forcasting that far out is difficult but if this was built into the overall winners draft day cheatsheet then he truly did the best job drafting a championship squad and should be rewarded amply for doing so.

Q

Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko » Tue Dec 06, 2005 2:39 am

Originally posted by Route C:
Just a quick correction EJ - Team New actually lost in week 13 and Gekko was 8th going into the playoffs. His hot streak started about 5 weeks prior to the playoffs when he was WAY back in points, however, I get your drift. yes, we were #8 going into the playoffs.

and what do you mean by WAY back? thanks
Is my "weekend warrior" prep better than your prep?

Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko » Tue Dec 06, 2005 2:41 am

Originally posted by Route C:
Greg asked me to start this thread to get feedback on the subject of playoff handicapping.
Currently all teams will start the playoffs with their 13 week scoring average. If you averaged 130 points per week through the first 13 weeks, you start off with 130 points. Simple enough!

Here's the question - and you should really give this a little thought before responding:

Is the current handicapping the best choice for the NFFC? If so - why? If not - then what would be better?

Currently the overall points champ after 13 weeks gets nothing additional. If that's OK then why do we have an overall points leaderboard?

Current handicapping presents little reward. For every 13 points you're ahead of someone else you get a 1 point advantage.

To illustrate how ridiculously small this advantage is: the current overall points leader averages about 149 points per game while the overall last place (280th) team averages about 89 points per game. Best case scenerio that's a whopping 60 point handicap. It won't be nearly that much against other playoff teams.

That is a synopsis of the way things currently are. I am not currently proposing or supporting a specific change. I am however making a call to the intelligent "thinking" crowd to say "is a change necessary"? If we're going to handicap the playoffs, should the handicap amount to more than 1/13th of what someone has amassed throughout the year? Again, I'm just asking.

If the current handicapping doesn't amount to much then should it be increased, abandoned...etc?

If abandoned, then should a prize be awarded for the overall points leader after 13 weeks? I will let your intelligent minds speak on this before I offer my own opinion. My only plea to you is that we make this a pleasant discussion for Gregs sake. I think we've put him through the fire enough lately. Maybe he deserves a break - so try to play nice.

Jeff route c - you are sounding too much like greg. too diplomatic for a gamer.
Is my "weekend warrior" prep better than your prep?