So how did everyone do?

David Wooderson

So how did everyone do?

Post by David Wooderson » Sat Sep 04, 2004 8:12 pm

Originally posted by Nag':
I was a little surprised to see how fast the running backs flew off the board, considering the .5 pt/rec for RBs vs. 1 for WRs. As opposed to other leagues like the WCOFF, I think here many owners underestimated the importance of having stud WRs. I predict that those teams who drafted 3 RBs with their first 3-4 picks will find themselves desperately searching for quality production from their reciever slots, and will only have a successfull season if they can hit a homerun with one or two of their sleepers.I agree that whoever did this with 3 RBs will definately have to hit with some of their sleeper wr picks to win overall, but to say that they will only have a successful season if they pull this off is way off the mark in my opinion.

H2H record is more important in this contest moreso than any other, as it decides the league champion and puts in half the championship field. If you go in with 2 running backs, you stand a decent chance to drop 2 games when each one has their bye, so theoretically you could be looking at 2 losses right there, plus whatever else you lose.

There's potentially a lot bigger point difference in someone like a Kris Brown over a Warrick Dunn than there is someone like a Joe Horn over a Jerry Porter.

Its hard to ever gauge this from year to year, because backup rb's that people get in later rounds end up emerging that are available in free agency, thus giving them 3 solid backs, however from a theoretical standpoint, you can't forecast that going in to your draft.

We took 3 rbs in the first 3 rounds, not necesarily to have a 3rd rb as a flex, but to always have 2 starters at RB during bye weeks. It will be interesting to see how it plays out, but historically, you should win your games against opponenets who can only start 1 good rb when their other one is on a bye.

This isnt to say that this theory is right and that one isnt, but I think you have to factor in H2H play here more than other games.

BLACKHAND

So how did everyone do?

Post by BLACKHAND » Sun Sep 05, 2004 2:05 am

it was a long wait after pick #1 in league #1 but overall not bad. HOLMES / WARD / GARNER / PORTER / WINSLOW / BRADY / if fragile freddy taylor goes down , got greg jones and got chester taylor in 15th round which i thought was a bargin. my key is garner and winslow having nice years.
THIS IS THE BUSINESS WE HAVE CHOSEN

BONGIZMO

So how did everyone do?

Post by BONGIZMO » Sun Sep 05, 2004 2:51 am

Originally posted by Diesel:
quote:Originally posted by BONGIZMO:
Diesel or Jersey, now that it's over I do have to ask because it was my thought of what was transpiring last evening...were a number of you guys using a strategy of blocking? Again just curious as if that was the case you did indeed weaken other teams? (several were forced to take a backup QB as their second QB because of the hellacious run that exhausted all long before Round 20 as i recall). Bong, you hit it right on the nose...My co-commish and I thought by taking 4 solid QB's, we were adding by subtracting...If that makes sense. It sounded crazy when we talked about it before the draft, but I think it might have worked out.(DraftMasters) [/QUOTE]Kind of thought that might be what was up and with a 14 team league it makes sense. Only 32 QB's, K's and D's get to play which leaves only 4 leftover if everyone takes 2. A couple teams take 4 and you already have some DM teams that are sitting with players that don't have a team based on yesterdays news...

Cloud, M Anderson(we all know he will soon), Elling, Bryant etc...just my .02
Never do card tricks for the people you play poker with.

BONGIZMO

So how did everyone do?

Post by BONGIZMO » Sun Sep 05, 2004 2:55 am

Originally posted by JerseyPaul:
If you're referring to the Auction, I bid whenever there was value. How could you pass up Plummer for $6, McCown for $5 and Rattay for $2 (my 12th player taken)? Would have been easy to buy a QB before they were all gone but timing is always important.

I took 2 D's in the Auction.

In the DM I planned all along to take 4 D's, and 3 PKs and 3 QBs, but that was my offensive strategy, not a blocking strategy. JP, I will say that covering the bases in those 3 areas will indeed pay off nicely. I had a similar breakdown although with 3 D's but ended up altering a bit due to certain runs starting early in DM. You guys in NY did create some interesting havoc in Chicago. Not being from Chicago or a Bears fan myself, I was still trying to figure out why it seemed all the NY guys were grabbing Bears and why so many Chitown folks were celebrating it. I think in the DM you need some potential sleepers and the Bears have a few IMO.
Never do card tricks for the people you play poker with.

Nag'

So how did everyone do?

Post by Nag' » Sun Sep 05, 2004 3:50 am

Originally posted by David Wooderson:
...We took 3 rbs in the first 3 rounds, not necesarily to have a 3rd rb as a flex, but to always have 2 starters at RB during bye weeks. It will be interesting to see how it plays out, but historically, you should win your games against opponenets who can only start 1 good rb when their other one is on a bye.I'm sure many of us have used this strategy in other league before, and it makes sense. I just think it's too costly in this NFFC format, considering the 5./rec and the 2/3/flex roster. Yes, you WILL have 2-3 RBs starting on a weekly basis, but what happens to the WRs? By drafting 3 RBs, your best case scenario is that you have someone like Price or C.Rogers as your #1, so what about when your WRs start hitting byes? How many last year's "Steve Smiths" are those 3RB-teams going to have to count on this year?
I guess my point is that balance was key and those without balance will need breaks to go their way to succede.
For Players. By Players.

JerseyPaul

So how did everyone do?

Post by JerseyPaul » Sun Sep 05, 2004 4:17 am

Balance is great, but not at the cost of mediocrity. At the tail end of the draft you don't have proven scorers who can put up points like LT, Priest, Deuce, etc. I have learned from the school of hard knocks that rounds 1 and 2 must give you a bushel full of points and counting on unproven players can quickly lead to a lost season.

So, to keep up with the early slot drafters I had to be unbalanced with WR/WR (Harrison/Holt). Then guys hurt themselves and hurt me by reaching for the marginal starters in round 3 and Warrick Dunn (ADP 4.12) went right before my pick at 3.12. So now I went for a high risk/high reward WR in Moulds. Clearly a WR unbalanced team.

As you pointed out, you need to get lucky if you are unbalanced. I need Wheatley to play all year and have a decent season. 1100 yards, a few receptions and 6-8 TDs will be fine. I have to hope that O. Smith stays in the Tice doghouse and Moe Williams plays a lot to keep the pressure off Bennett. If Moe gets 600 yards rushing, 50 catches and 6-8 TDs I'll be in this thing.

lichtman

So how did everyone do?

Post by lichtman » Sun Sep 05, 2004 4:27 am

JP -- Banking on a career year from a nearly 33 year-old RB, who is four seasons removed from his only season with double-digit starts? You should have drafted Travis Minor. No false hopes there -- I'm sure he'll stink.
Hello. My name is Lee Scoresby. I come from Texas, like flying hot-air balloons, being eaten by talking polar bears and fantasy football.

MGB MARTY

So how did everyone do?

Post by MGB MARTY » Sun Sep 05, 2004 4:37 am

Had 8th pick in NY League 4 pretty happy with 1st 8 picks and overall make up of team 1st 8 picks were James Westbrook Staley Moulds Mcarins Winslow Brooks QB Was surprised at a few picks Manning at 11th and team 14 Holt and Owens again injuries will decide this thing was happy moss went at 7 played consevative with James over Lewis Love Moulds in the even year Stuck to my 3 RB in 1st 3 rounds strategy Thought I got a steal with Burleson

JerseyPaul

So how did everyone do?

Post by JerseyPaul » Sun Sep 05, 2004 4:38 am

Originally posted by Ico Jones:
JP -- Banking on a career year from a nearly 33 year-old RB, who is four seasons removed from his only season with double-digit starts? You should have drafted Travis Minor. No false hopes there -- I'm sure he'll stink. I have Sammie Morris, who I believe will win the position over Minor. If Miami doesn't make a move and Morris starts, I'll have another RB.

There is also a rumor that Bettis might be traded to Miami. I have Bettis and that might work out.

Nag'

So how did everyone do?

Post by Nag' » Sun Sep 05, 2004 5:12 am

A RB drafted as a Flex will put up 80 & 1TD equaling to 14FF points. That is probably on the optimistic side, as far as consistency.
Meanwhile, a WR needs to catch 6 for 80 to match that production - by playing matchups, you can probably platoon players drafted in the 6-10 rounds to get these results.
I'll take the latter.
For Players. By Players.