LEAGUE SUGGESTION

King of Queens

LEAGUE SUGGESTION

Post by King of Queens » Sun Nov 12, 2006 4:20 am

The two contests also feature a major difference in awarding their "best" teams.

WCOFF awards a league champ based on a one-game playoff in Week 12 (H2H vs. points champs). Winner gets $6,000, loser gets $1,800 -- I have heard that many owners agree in advance to split these funds, regardless of the actual Week 12 outcome. All Week 12 winners make the Championship Round, while only some of the runners-up get that honor. Personally, I feel the league champ should be awarded based on the entire regular season accomplishments -- and the longer 13-week NFFC regular season is a better indiciator of the "best" team(s).

On the flip side, the NFFC Championship Round is only 3 weeks, whereas WCOFF features a 4-week competition to determine the grand champion. Again, the more weeks to determine the "best" team, the more likely we are awarding the "right" team.

Additionally, there is no Top 10% rule in the WCOFF. This makes it possible that the #2 overall scoring team through 11 weeks might not make the playoffs -- potentially a huge injustice.

Quahogs

LEAGUE SUGGESTION

Post by Quahogs » Sun Nov 12, 2006 4:26 am

The WCOFF and NFFC both bring alot to the fantasy table. Similar to College football and Pro football - different rules, different days, their own traditions. Both flourish. What's important is that fans don't have to proclaim an exclusive affiliation. Same can be said for wcoff/nffc, one need not collapse for the other to prosper.

Q

da bears

LEAGUE SUGGESTION

Post by da bears » Sun Nov 12, 2006 4:46 am

That's true Snake and that's why I'll never play in that another contest :D
Bauler Shot Caller

Greg Ambrosius

LEAGUE SUGGESTION

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Sun Nov 12, 2006 4:49 am

Originally posted by weber77:
to the NFFC creators.. the WCOFF has been very successful the past years however it's going through a rough time .. i think the 14 team leagues really scares alot of people away.. i think simply changing format to 12 teams each league you would double your participation.. i wouldn't leave the WCOFF based on that fact.. if this league ever switched to that format, i think alot would consider.. WCOFF is a better format or at least a lot different.. just curious what people in this league think.. First of all, thanks weber77 for starting a good thread. It is a very legitimate question to pose our group and myself. I agree with you that if the NFFC were a 12-team league format, we'd probably have more entries as most of the 12 million adult Americans who play fantasy football compete in this format. And to be truthful with you, had I thought of creating a high-stakes event before Lenny and Emil did, I would have settled on a 12-team format.

But once the WCOFF was established, I noticed a few things about their format that I didn't like. I didn't like the 11 week regular season schedule. Too short for me at this kind of price. I LOVED the first weekend of the season Draft Day as I was at the WCOFF the first two years and saw how their participants enjoyed the entire weekend of gambling in Las Vegas. But having a game decided already was a bummer as players were going sooner than they should have just based on one game's knowledge. I definitely didn't like the 1 point per reception for RBs and I wanted to tweak some of the scoring, like adding .1 point per extra yard for field goals over 30 yards. I see they have adopted that this year. I also wanted our owners to have the flexibility with their starting lineups and thus they could change them five minutes before each game, something else the WCOFF has adopted this year.

When we unveiled the National Fantasy Baseball Championship as a 15-team league format, I felt that following up with a 14-team format for the NFFC created the same type of tough challenge. Hell, I could have gone with a 12-team format for the NFBC too, but that would have been too easy. I felt that the 14-team format was the ultimate challenge for the NFFC and the 13-week regular season was just right to decide the best team in each league. My main concern was having only three playoff weeks for the $100,000 grand prize, but I think it works okay.

Trust me, the day I posted the rules for this 14-team format, I asked Tom several times if he thought this would be accepted before hitting the SEND button. I can still remember not hitting that button and rereading the rules I had written several times before finally saying that this was the right format and that die-hard players like I had found for the NFBC would accept this challenge. I know today that I won't reach WCOFF's participation levels immediately with the 14-team format, but if we keep providing good customer service and find a key partner to bring in sponsors and spread the word about our contest, we'll eventually grow to the level I expect.

I know that right now there are high-stakes players who are looking for a second option or another option. I have a feeling with licensing now not being a major issue, that upstarts will try to compete with the WCOFF on that weekend. Each year there are new contests trying to compete against them, but few that are on Labor Day weekend. I think we'll stick with our format, try to spread the word better and hopefully the best players in the country will try to compete with our great owners.

Again, thanks for the question. Trust me, I think about the 12-team format all the time and many folks have asked me to create this format on the first weekend of the NFL season, provide a $250,000 grand prize and go head-to-head. But honestly I think the industry is best served by two great contests over two weekends and we'll grow through time if we continue to keep this ship headed in the right way.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

Greg Ambrosius

LEAGUE SUGGESTION

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Sun Nov 12, 2006 4:55 am

Originally posted by Ted's Cracked Head:
Except for this year because of a scheduling conflict, I am a WCOFF lifer. (I will be back next year as those two weeks next September will have NO CONFLICTS)

Having said that, I LOVE the 14 team format set up by the NFFC. Furthermore, I prefer it now. I think it takes MORE skill to succeed in and is a tad more challenging (though I did have no success in the WCOFF). If you are scared by that, CYA. If you feel as though you have the skillset to succeed in the WCOFF, this challenge is ALSO for you.

Each challenge is different and BOTH are TOP NOTCH. The site is flawless and the management is as good as it gets.

I say do not choose between them, play in them both if you have the means.

Added: If I had to choose between the two, I would have to say goodbye to the WCOFF. I feel that strongly about this format. Rob, your testimonial is as good as it gets because I know you've been in the WCOFF since Day One. You've been a great member of our NFFC family since you joined last August and I think you enjoy our boards even a little more these days. But you are right, both contests are great and if I was just out for the biggest numbers possible I'd change, but that's not my goal. I think both contests can prosper and they both will.

The industry is best served by these different formats. It's my job to find a way to reach their participation levels without compromising the great format we've established over the last three years.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

D-Day Heroes

LEAGUE SUGGESTION

Post by D-Day Heroes » Sun Nov 12, 2006 1:03 pm

McDonald's is Great because of Burger King....Coca Cola is Great because of Pepsi....Budweiser is Great because of Miller....Muhammad Ali is Great because of Joe Frazier...Affirmed is Great because of Alydar.......Sonny is Great because of Cher( What).....Anyway I think you get my Point.......... What makes Greatness is a Great Competitor or in other words a ' GREAT RIVALRY ' , Therefore what will make the NFFC Great is the WCOFF. That's the American Way... God Bless the USA and All Our Veterans this Veterans Weekend....Thank-You...!!!
" When you are in any contest you should work as if there were - to the very last minute - a chance to lose it. "
- Dwight D. Eisenhower

TURBOUGH

LEAGUE SUGGESTION

Post by TURBOUGH » Sun Nov 12, 2006 7:13 pm

When I joined NFFC, I was hoping they would go to 12 team leagues in time but after being a part of the NFFC for 2 seasons, I prefer the 14 team leagues. This isn't a knock on any 12 team leagues but I like playing head to head for 13 weeks. Most 12 team leagues you play through week 11 and week 12 is the championship game. What about the rest of the season? The season is barely 70% complete and your fantasy season is over. This reason alone makes me want to stay here at NFFC (customer service excels as well).

Mike Costaglio

LEAGUE SUGGESTION

Post by Mike Costaglio » Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:37 am

Drafting on the NFLs opening weekend is tough for the NFL season ticket holder. On the years that you have a home game the same weekend as the WCOFF draft you need to give your game tickets away for that weekend or hustle back to your home game after the WCOFF draft. Labor Day weekend draft gets rid of the conflict.

kjduke

LEAGUE SUGGESTION

Post by kjduke » Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:31 pm

Originally posted by weber77:
to the NFFC creators.. the WCOFF has been very successful the past years however it's going through a rough time .. i think the 14 team leagues really scares alot of people away.. i think simply changing format to 12 teams each league you would double your participation.. i wouldn't leave the WCOFF based on that fact.. if this league ever switched to that format, i think alot would consider.. WCOFF is a better format or at least a lot different.. just curious what people in this league think.. A deeper league is a tougher league. More skill; less luck = NFFC. If that scares you, stay away. Probably the same reason the raging debate about BBDS is here rather than on the WCOFF boards.