Who's Coming To The 2010 NFFC In Boston?

BLACKHAND

Post by BLACKHAND » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:54 am

Originally posted by BillyWaz:
quote:Originally posted by Sandman62:
Just giving this thread a bump in the hopes that we can fill the Fri. DC. Only 6 so far. :( Are some folks planning to come to Boston but are just waiting to sign up? Only need 1 more to fill Classic and 5 more for Primetime.

I sure hope I'm wrong on my prediction that spreading out to more cities would make it hard to fill leagues in them. Don't think you were the only one who thought that would happen when speading out the cities. :(

As far as the DC, we only have 7 so far in Chicago, so one more for each of us, and we have a Chicago/Boston DC! ;)
[/QUOTE]i guess that might be the only way billy but this is not what i thought would happen. i thought we would fill the dc and have 3 tables filled in boston. looks like we are going to be drafting with the same group of guys as we still need one more team to fill the classic.
THIS IS THE BUSINESS WE HAVE CHOSEN

Sandman62

Post by Sandman62 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:05 am

Ok... I am officially WORRIED about this Boston venue for the main events. :(

With less than 4 weeks left, we don't even have a single full league. This was my concern when the NFFC expanded to more cities - that the "product" gets watered down. Think about it... if you go to NYC or LV or CHI where there are 4-8 leagues drafting, your chance of being placed in a league where there are MANY top players is less than if a bunch of top players all go to Boston (or Buffalo or Denver, etc.). So not only are you stuck drafting w/ the same small group of people for all 3 main events (and learning each other's tendencies as you progress through the weekend), but if the talent level is high in that small group, each of you will likely end up w/ lesser quality teams than if you were in leagues where not everyone is of the same caliber. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for stiff competition in a private league (i.e. GAMERS, BillyWaz or Enter Sandman DCs), but for a national event, this hardly seems fair.

If this Boston league doesn't get to at least 3 full leagues, I will be transferring to New York.

Greg/Tom, what is the latest date at which I can make a switch? I seem to recall asking Greg about this a couple months ago and he indicated we could switch right up until draft date.

But if we do and others also switch, you might find that spreading out so thin leaves you with no leagues in these new cities by the time the drafts are here, and instead, just a lost hotel/conference room deposit.

I hope I'm wrong, but the clock is ticking. Do you plan to do any local advertising (i.e. radio, newspaper) in these new cities? If not, how will you increase the participation in order to try to offer the same quality experience and chance of building quality teams (that can make a strong playoff run) as in the 3 major cities?

Thoughts?

[ August 11, 2010, 05:08 PM: Message edited by: Sandman62 ]

BLACKHAND

Post by BLACKHAND » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:32 pm

this is looking like a home league but one im driving to boston for. at least ryan will be there. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Michael: [speaking to ryan] Only don't tell me you're innocent. Because it insults my intelligence and makes me very angry :D

joetreff

Post by joetreff » Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:43 pm

Originally posted by Tom Kessenich:
With Sal Vella joining the party in Boston we are now just ONE spot away from filling up a Classic league there. Can we get one or two more? Let's keep the signups coming and find out.

NATIONAL FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPIONSHIP
NFFC CLASSIC MAIN EVENT (14 TEAMS)
SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 4TH, 2010

BOSTON, NFFC CLASSIC
Radisson Hotel Boston
Saturday, Sept. 4, 1 p.m. EST
1. Jeff Dawson, Marston Mills, Massachusetts
2. Mike Sanda, Warwick, Rhode Island
3. Frank Mammola, North White Plains, New York
4. Eddie Gillis, Jamestown, Rhode Island
5. Nelson Sousa, Saugerties, New York
6. John Hogan, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
7. Raj Patel, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
8. Joseph Treffiletti, Sunrise, Florida
9. John Rundle, Pembroke, Massachusetts
10. Michael Treffiletti, Moreau, New York
11. Michael Cole, Franklin, Tennessee
12. Ken Magner, Freehold, New Jersey
13. Salvatore Vella, Staten Island, New York
Sorry but Mike and I won't be in the same league. One of us (or both) will switch to NY if there are no more Boston leagues. -Joe Treffiletti

BLACKHAND

Post by BLACKHAND » Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:32 am

GREG , this boston league has to be addressed. it seems to be falling apart. seems like a good idea to put an add in the paper or that sports radio station someone was talking about. the ship seems to be sinking here.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:49 am

Originally posted by THE_BLACKHAND:
GREG , this boston league has to be addressed. it seems to be falling apart. seems like a good idea to put an add in the paper or that sports radio station someone was talking about. the ship seems to be sinking here. Got it Frankie. Yeah, for years folks asked us to expand to Boston and the New England area and now we have with a great downtown room rate at a 5-star hotel. I'm with you Frank, I thought we'd easily get 2-3 leagues here. I certainly understand the concern of folks competing with the same guys twice and that wasn't our goal, either. We expected more when we expanded here and it's not the location that is at fault or the hotel. I guess the demand isn't what we all thought it would be.

If some folks are really serious about transferring to New York, then we need to address this right away. I want all of you to have a good time and compete in the leagues of your choice against different competition, but we need to address this soon. I'll call folks or you can call me at 715-254-5553.

I'd hate to see Boston unravel because I really was considering a move to Boston for baseball, too. It blows me away that we haven't grown here, but we are learning a lesson with this plan and will definitely adjust for the future. But right now we need to solve Boston and get everyone in leagues they will enjoy.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:55 am

I'm shocked Boston hasn't caught on as well.

That hotel rate, and getting to hang in Beantown SHOULD be a great draw. :(

First step in my opinion for next year would be to dump Buffalo. Right now there are 3 cities (Boston, Buffalo, and NY) which are in a 6-7 hour drive "triangle".

Personally I would rather go to Boston than NY. Problem is it seems like having both is like "robbing Peter to pay Paul".

[ August 12, 2010, 09:56 AM: Message edited by: BillyWaz ]

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:03 am

Originally posted by Sandman62:
Ok... I am officially WORRIED about this Boston venue for the main events. :(

With less than 4 weeks left, we don't even have a single full league. This was my concern when the NFFC expanded to more cities - that the "product" gets watered down. Think about it... if you go to NYC or LV or CHI where there are 4-8 leagues drafting, your chance of being placed in a league where there are MANY top players is less than if a bunch of top players all go to Boston (or Buffalo or Denver, etc.). So not only are you stuck drafting w/ the same small group of people for all 3 main events (and learning each other's tendencies as you progress through the weekend), but if the talent level is high in that small group, each of you will likely end up w/ lesser quality teams than if you were in leagues where not everyone is of the same caliber. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for stiff competition in a private league (i.e. GAMERS, BillyWaz or Enter Sandman DCs), but for a national event, this hardly seems fair.

If this Boston league doesn't get to at least 3 full leagues, I will be transferring to New York.

Greg/Tom, what is the latest date at which I can make a switch? I seem to recall asking Greg about this a couple months ago and he indicated we could switch right up until draft date.

But if we do and others also switch, you might find that spreading out so thin leaves you with no leagues in these new cities by the time the drafts are here, and instead, just a lost hotel/conference room deposit.

I hope I'm wrong, but the clock is ticking. Do you plan to do any local advertising (i.e. radio, newspaper) in these new cities? If not, how will you increase the participation in order to try to offer the same quality experience and chance of building quality teams (that can make a strong playoff run) as in the 3 major cities?

Thoughts? Mike, we felt that by expanding to more cities we could grow the event and save our customers money in travel and hotel. For years people have been telling us to expand to Florida, expand to Boston, expand to California. Well, we did and the response has been less than what we expected.

If folks now decide that New York and Las Vegas are still their destinations of choice, we'll honor that and move on. Chicago is struggling this year, but it's not because we expanded to Minneapolis or Dallas, that's for sure. It's because those customers haven't signed up yet or they've chosen the online option or they've chosen not to play in the NFFC this year.

I understand the concern of competing against the top players in one city and if folks need to move because of that let's do it now. I thought when we got some of our best of the best to sign up for Boston early we were on our way. I thought the $129 hotel rate was a big winner for those who said they don't go to New York because of the costs and now we're struggling. So let's move some to New York if that's what they want and see what happens in Boston. You are right, I can deal with the hotel contract as long as everyone who competes on the East Coast is happy. The contract isn't my concern; getting these leagues right is the major concern.

The DC on Friday needs to be addressed too. Both NY and Boston look to be together no matter where everyone goes. But then we have to get the mains figured out. This is totally your call on where you compete. I'll deal with each customer and place them wherever they want to draft. And if we struck out in any city, then Fanball pays the bill and learns the lesson. But dammit, it wasn't for a lack of trying to expand this live events business. People are speaking loud and clear and future events will be shaped that way.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius