Were You Happy With Your Draft Slot?

King of Queens

Post by King of Queens » Thu Dec 08, 2005 5:52 am

August 29, 2005 -- do you remember how you felt that day?

Six days before the NFFC main event, Greg and Tom picked your name out of a hat. Minutes later, a post was made in the League Forum section of these message boards telling you where you picked. Many of us (myself included) spent an hour or more hitting the refresh button on our browsers, waiting to see when our name would be called. Then the moment came...

New York League 2
1. King of Queens

I'm pretty certain that the 19 other people in my situation were just as excited as I was. My team was going to get THE BEST player out there, LaDainian Tomlinson. Sure, not every #1 overall pick turns out to be the best player, but as of Labor Day weekend, there was no better bet in Fantasyland than Tomlinson.

All those who drew the #2 pick were probably very excited as well. By the end of training camp, it was clear that Shaun Alexander was going to have a monster season. #3 was pretty much a no-brainer as well -- Edgerrin James was a fantastic "consolation prize" and clearly better than the rest (Holmes, McGahee, McAllister, etc.)

What I am most curious about is the rest of the draft slots. I want to hear from the people who picked 4th through 14th. How did it feel when you got your pick? Were you happy with your draft slot? Would you have rather had the 1st through 3rd picks?

Nag'

Post by Nag' » Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:11 am

I was not that happy to get the 13th slot as I was hoping to start my draft with one of the "sure things" that would only be available to the top 3-4 picks. The 13th slot also did not fit my pre-season draft strategy which was to go RB/WR. I seriously considered the idea of drafting a WR (Holt) at 2.02 but decided that passing on the available RBs would not be wise as the WR talent will still be deep at my 3.13 & 4.02 selections.
So, after a slight change in draft strategy, I did become quite content with the 13th slot and obviously it was fairly sucessful.
For Players. By Players.

Captain Hook

Post by Captain Hook » Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:31 am

When I found out that I would be drafting 6th in a 14 team league, I was not thrilled - I would be in the land of guesses. I would have much preferred to be drafting 1-2 or 13-14. But every draft is unique and you can have a great draft or a bad draft from any position - as many of us know all too well.

Liquid_Madness

Post by Liquid_Madness » Thu Dec 08, 2005 10:08 am

My partner and I were obviously not thrilled with getting the 13th pick... but hey that's the way it goes...

the year before I got the 4th pick.... next year hopefully 1st!!
2006 Draft:
RB
Edge, Dunn, Duckett, M. Anderson, R. Moats, D. Davis
WR
Roy Williams, J. Walker D. Jackson, Troy Williamson, R. Ferguson, P. Price, Si. Moss
QB
A. Brooks, D. Brees
J. Stevens TE
L. Tynes K
NE Def

Sack

Post by Sack » Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:48 am

I had the #4 slot in three of four leagues. In NYC 6, one of the first three teams snatched a QB and that punched my EDGE ticket. I had NO interest in Priest because I didnt want to CUFF that early. Was fortunate enough to have HOLT still on the board on the way back as the backs left were all high risk. I also was going Boldin in Rd #3 when the guy next to me grabbed him so I went with GATES. I waited till round #7 for a QB and had a choice between Palmer and Hasselbeck. I took the Seahawk and cant complain but sure wish I had Carson right about now. In those other TWO LEAGUES with the 4 spot - Edge was gone and I reached for Julius Jones .... those teams havent performed as well as my NYC 6.

Eddiejag

Post by Eddiejag » Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:50 am

HEY KING interesting post, i was part of two teams , my own with pick 5 , and another team with shad and johnny, a three headed team with pick 1. I was pretty happy with both. With the 1st pick it was clear and my partner johnny and myself were hoping that 2 of the stud receivers would make it back, they did holt and c johnson.
This team will play for the 100.000.The team with the 5 pick , i thought their would be a good chance to get j jones, and he did make it to me BUT not the break out season i was hoping for.Look at him compared to the big 3 , no comparison. My 2nd pick was T OWNES and 3rd J WALKER, well you can fiqure out the rest.
NFBC (NY) auction league champion!
Bad(ass)Angels

He who steps to me in 2005, you better realize you dont have enough jive..... TURKEY!

renman

Post by renman » Thu Dec 08, 2005 4:28 pm

I drew the 8th pick and was ok with it. I felt that after the "big 3" RB's that the next 8-10 were all pretty similar and you could argue any of them to be the next pick after edge... i was super high on kevin jones given his end to last season, his amazingly good RB schedule, and the fact the lions had so many weapons as receivers for defenses to deal with. clearly kevin jones destroyed many a fantasy football season. i liked being 8th in that i could be in the middle of the board and not get hurt by runs and also could sometimes predict with of 2 players i like may fall back to me since i did not have to wait for 20something picks between picks like if i was at the end of the draft board...

unfortunately for me... 3 of my first 4 picks, kevin jones, andre johnson, and j.j. arringon (thought this was a steal in the 4th round) hurt me and lead my not repeating as an nffc champion this year...

Walla Walla

Post by Walla Walla » Thu Dec 08, 2005 5:04 pm

The jest of this is how to make drafting fair.
The first year Barber was the man. Not a first pick. This year its LT and now its time to change the format for draft picks. Next year I hope the top guy was never drafted in the first round.
If your not going to auction the spots than its a joke.

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:27 pm

Originally posted by Eddiejag:
With the 1st pick it was clear and my partner johnny and myself were hoping that 2 of the stud receivers would make it back, they did holt and c johnson.
This is why what LEAGUE your in, can be just as lucky as your pick. NO WAY CJ AND Holt shouldn't have been taken before picks 28 and 29!

That being said, I was pretty happy with the 10th pick in Chicago 5 (considering that the 4 NFFC events I had been involved in prior to this (not counting auction), my picks were 14,14,12, & 14!

I was very happy to take Deuce McAllister with my first pick (at the time! :mad: ), and then come back with Tiki in round 2. Round 3 saw me get the "steal of the draft" (or so I thought), when I nabbed Gonzalez at pick 3.10 (considering he went as early as 2.06 in Chicago).

I followed it up with Hines Ward, Laveranues Coles (he absolutely KILLED me!), Jake Plummer, etc.

Didn't really get anyone to "break out" late, and with Deuce going down, and my other underacheivers, it led to a 7-6 season, and 1547 points (almost exactly in the middle).

Maybe with all the new injuries (Westbrook, etc.) and the fact that some players will be sitting (Colts, Seahawks, etc.) maybe my bunch of "mediocre misfits" will make some noise in the playoffs? :rolleyes:

[ December 09, 2005, 05:28 AM: Message edited by: BillyWaz ]