Monday Morning Quarterback: Part 2

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon May 16, 2011 4:54 am

Let's start some football discussion this week and see where it takes us. We'll shoot for 10 topics again, but it's tough to even find 10 topics with nothing going on in the NFL. Here's a start:

Topic 1: Will anything happen with this week's mediation in Minneapolis?

Personally, this looks like a dog-and-pony show and that's it. They were told to get together for mediation this week before U.S. Magistrate Judge Arthur Boylan, the same judge who saw nothing get done a few weeks ago. The owners are bringing four reps along with Commissioner Roger Goodell: the Steelers' Art Rooney Jr., the Giants' John Mara, the Panthers' Jerry Richardson and the Bengals' Mike Brown. The Players are represented by NFL Players Association executive director DeMaurice Smith and attorney Jeffrey Kessler.

Let's be honest here: Both sides are now in it for the long haul and waiting to hear the final verdict from the Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals. Both sides think they are going to win that, which gives them an edge going forward. Nobody is going to give anything until they see how that court rules. The owners feel good about their chances because that court has taken so long to rule and the players can't give in now after winning so decisively under Judge Nelson. So nothing gets done until that ruling comes in. Am I right Tom?
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Mon May 16, 2011 4:56 am

I expect nothing to happen. No one expects this round of mediation to result in anything productive and by all accounts it is nothing more than a dog and pony show. It's a complete waste of time because both sides believe they can win with a court ruling. The NFL's Joke of 2011 has become an even bigger joke.

Only nobody is laughing right now. I'm pretty sure the people who worked for the Dolphins who got fired because of a lockout the owners planned two years in advance think any of this is the least bit amusing.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon May 16, 2011 4:56 am

Topic 2: I understand the legal process here, but someone please tell me why this "expedited" hearing has taken a month to pull together and then please oh please tell me why it's going to take them another month to provide a ruling? If Schefter is right and the judges will provide a ruling in July after the June 3rd hearing, hasn't this temporary stay actually become permanent for all intents and purposes? I don't get it. I realize this is a very complicated case and the judges want to spend much of their time on this to get it right because they know how much media attention this case is getting, but another month?? I don't get it.

Someone smarter than me -- okay Tom, I'll pick you -- explain this process.

[ May 16, 2011, 10:57 AM: Message edited by: Greg Ambrosius ]
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship

hammer

Post by hammer » Mon May 16, 2011 5:00 am

I don't know about being smarter than anybody, Greg, but I can say this from my experiences working with lawyers: if this "expedited" hearing gets done anytime in the next month it would still be warp speed for those bastages.

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Mon May 16, 2011 5:00 am

I wish I could explain it. By my definition "expedited" does not equate to one month. I agree that the court has basically ruled in favor of the stay despite the fact it has not made a ruling. This entire thing has become a joke and even the court system looks idiotic now. There is no reason in my opinion that this situation could not have been solved by now and a court ruling should have occurred by now.
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon May 16, 2011 5:01 am

Topic 3: Okay, it's time to move on from the lockout, but I have to ask this question of our customers moreso than you, Tom: How much longer will the lockout go on before you decide to cut back on your NFL interest this year?

I know I'm very mad right now, but every time I read another Packers' story I get fired up. I can forgive and forget if this doesn't drag on into August. Get your court rulings guys, someone get the upper hand, and then get a deal done in July. This can't cut into training camp and it can't cut into the pre-season. This has to get done, both of you can claim victories in the final analysis and let's get a long-term deal that prevents this from ever happening again. If that happens, I'm still on board.

Heck, my family has already paid for our season tickets to Lambeau, which of course are more expensive thanks to our Super Bowl season. We're paid in full, we're committed to the upcoming season, we have our plans all in place, so let's GET IT ON.

Do you feel the same way Tom? What do our customers think?

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Mon May 16, 2011 5:03 am

I feel the same way and it's unfortunate because I'm exactly who the owners are banking on. They know my passion for this sport will continue to thrive even as they bungle their way through the summer. I wish I could turn my back on the sport or lose the same amount of interest that I did after MLB's last strike but I'll be back and that's what the owners are counting on.

Ugh.
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon May 16, 2011 5:04 am

Topic 4: Will Reggie Bush remain in New Orleans?

Reggie sure makes it sound like he wants to remain a Saint for this season and beyond, but it's inconceivable in my mind that they'd pay him $11 million to basically be a punt returner and a third down back. I agree that Ingram could be the featured back and Bush could be the third down back and splitout with Ingram, but that's a lot of money to pay someone whose role is limited. At the very least, I could see Bush staying through this year and then moving on after his contract is done. Thoughts?

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Mon May 16, 2011 5:07 am

I don't think Bush stays in New Orleans. The Saints will ask him to take a huge pay cut and I'm not sure he'll go for that. There are a number of teams that would be interested in him because he is a terrific satellite player and outstanding Red Zone threat. I think he moves on.
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon May 16, 2011 5:07 am

Originally posted by Tom Kessenich:
I feel the same way and it's unfortunate because I'm exactly who the owners are banking on. They know my passion for this sport will continue to thrive even as they bungle their way through the summer. I wish I could turn my back on the sport or lose the same amount of interest that I did after MLB's last strike but I'll be back and that's what the owners are counting on.

Ugh. How would you like to be DirecTV this summer, trying to sell the NFL Ticket for about $299 and providing that July Early-Bird special with no football in sight? They are so in bed with the NFL and so lucky to have that Sunday NFL Ticket exclusive, but can you imagine paying $1 billion to sell a product that becomes unsellable if this strike goes into the regular season? Personally, they better have things resolved before I jump in this year to buy the Sunday Ticket.