NFFC League Playoffs 2012

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:14 am

One other item I'd like to explore is giving owners the option to receive draft spots early or late even with KDS involved. By early I mean Aug. 15th or something like that. By late it would be 7-10 days before your Draft Day. I know how we can do this easily and quickly for draft dates that have multiple leagues. I hope to make this an option on your team pages. Because of KDS, not everyone wants their draft spot early, but some folks do and I think we can accommodate this in most cases. Stay tuned.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

da bears

Post by da bears » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:41 am

Good idea Glenn. As others have said I'm done playing in any leagues with a short 11-week regular season.

Now you get the best of both worlds with a 13 week regular season and league playoffs.. :cool:
Bauler Shot Caller

Coltsfan

Post by Coltsfan » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:51 am

Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:
quote:Originally posted by Coltsfan:
I love PPR for all contests.

I would hate for interceptions to be -2. So often it's not the QB's fault on interceptions. (Tipped balls, receivers missing the ball and bouncing into defenders hands, hail mary's.) I'm in a league now that penalizes 2 points for interceptions and it just seems to make scoring even more random.

Wayne That has been my exact reasoning for -1 all these years. You see a QB throw an interception at the end of the half on a Hail Mary attempt or some other goofy way. But with 6 points per TD and with the proliferation of TD passes now compared to 2004, I think -2 is a fair tradeoff in exchange for keeping QBs so valuable. I think the time is right for this change and it's worth discussing for 2012 and beyond.
[/QUOTE]I think it would raise the value of the best QB's. Right now you can roll with guys who historically produce but turn the ball over. Moving forward you would be more apt to focus on the top tier guy that doesn't turn it over because the point differential would be greater.

If we are wanting to decrease QB scoring then why not go with Chad's idea of 4 points per passing TD. That would definitely be more mainstream.

Wayne

Rog

Post by Rog » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:26 am

I like 6 pts per td,it rewards you for taking a stud early and it rewards you if you hit that stud later in the draft. It makes your draft choices a little tougher. I like minus 2 per int.If you give the defense 2 then the qb should be minus 2.Fumbles should be minus 2 also from any position.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:30 am

Originally posted by Coltsfan:
quote:Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:
quote:Originally posted by Coltsfan:
I love PPR for all contests.

I would hate for interceptions to be -2. So often it's not the QB's fault on interceptions. (Tipped balls, receivers missing the ball and bouncing into defenders hands, hail mary's.) I'm in a league now that penalizes 2 points for interceptions and it just seems to make scoring even more random.

Wayne That has been my exact reasoning for -1 all these years. You see a QB throw an interception at the end of the half on a Hail Mary attempt or some other goofy way. But with 6 points per TD and with the proliferation of TD passes now compared to 2004, I think -2 is a fair tradeoff in exchange for keeping QBs so valuable. I think the time is right for this change and it's worth discussing for 2012 and beyond.
[/QUOTE]I think it would raise the value of the best QB's. Right now you can roll with guys who historically produce but turn the ball over. Moving forward you would be more apt to focus on the top tier guy that doesn't turn it over because the point differential would be greater.

If we are wanting to decrease QB scoring then why not go with Chad's idea of 4 points per passing TD. That would definitely be more mainstream.

Wayne
[/QUOTE]Oh boy. 2+2 MUST be used. 4 points IS mainstream. So you'd change the entire scoring for QBs because one more point is being deducted for Interceptions?? Okay. Anyway, I said it's a rule proposal we'll discuss.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship

thegambler

Post by thegambler » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:30 am

sorry guys not trying to be an azz here but these same type of things were discused on another thread and almost everyone was against it. hell, i was told that if i didn't like the current format i should go play somewhere else. now all of the sudden since a big time guy talks about playoffs everyone listens and is up for it.....WOW that really sucks.

how can some of you who were so adamant against a playoff now be listening. you definitely know how to make the news guys feel good.... :rolleyes:

like i said before: i guess i will just stick to the tebow thread and let the big boys handle everything else.

kjduke

Post by kjduke » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:35 am

I like Glenn's numbers better with more playoff money on the line. I think $2k each for top 2 seeds plus advancing to the overall is plenty for those teams. Beating 5 other teams in a 3-week playoff won't be easy, make it worthwhile. And let's not forget, there will be teams that enter the playoffs with no money in the bank and no shot at the overall that will wind up scoring more than the guaranteed-money teams over the full 16 weeks.

No reason to change QB scoring. A TD is a TD - if it's worth 6 to everyone else on the field, not sure why it should be worth less for a QB. If a QB's TD is worth only 4 pts shouldn't a receiving TD also be worth only 4? Never liked the 4 rule, it's a relic. Four is not a football number, where did that even come from?

Fumbles and INTs should be worth the same. If anything, you could argue a fumble is a bigger negative since only one guy is responsible rather than possibly two. Again, don't see the point in a change here.

[ November 30, 2011, 08:37 AM: Message edited by: KJ Duke ]

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:37 am

Originally posted by Who?:
I like 6 pts per td,it rewards you for taking a stud early and it rewards you if you hit that stud later in the draft. It makes your draft choices a little tougher. I like minus 2 per int.If you give the defense 2 then the qb should be minus 2.Fumbles should be minus 2 also from any position. The scoring rules are meant to make it tough for owners on Draft Day. It's not like 8 QBs are going in the first round under our current scoring system. In fact, deciding when to take a QB in our scoring system is as tough a decision as any on Draft Day. Some people took Aaron Rodgers early and are benefiting from it. Some people took Michael Vick early and are paying the price because of it. It keeps Draft Day very interesting and difficult.

The beauty of this great hobby is that you can have different rules for different games and all of them can be fun. Why should EVERY game have the same rules? I think the NFFC Primetime will become "mainstream" soon, I really do. Some folks are used to 11-week regular seasons and 2+2 and PPR and 4 points per passing TD, etc., and that's all good. But not everything is the only way to do things. And not everything we've done is the perfect way. It's time to change to PPR, tweak our playoff format, keep more teams involved, etc. That's what we're looking at.

Think outside the box a bit, that's what we're trying to do with these suggestions. Copying other formats isn't the way to go.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:41 am

Originally posted by thegambler:
sorry guys not trying to be an azz here but these same type of things were discused on another thread and almost everyone was against it. hell, i was told that if i didn't like the current format i should go play somewhere else. now all of the sudden since a big time guy talks about playoffs everyone listens and is up for it.....WOW that really sucks.

how can some of you who were so adamant against a playoff now be listening. you definitely know how to make the news guys feel good.... :rolleyes:

like i said before: i guess i will just stick to the tebow thread and let the big boys handle everything else. The idea of a four-team playoff in Weeks 11-12 is a tough sell here, which is where you were leading. I think KJ's 2+2 is a tough sell. What has progressed since then is the idea of keeping a 13-week regular season and adding a better form of playoffs with more teams than other contests had in Weeks 14-16, while still rewarding the regular season winners. The talk has led to this discussion today, so instead of feeling like an azz you should feel proud that the open dialogue led to the discussion you wanted to have.

Jump into the discussion professionally and add to the ideas and I don't think anyone will see you any other way than another respected NFFC owner helping the contest.

thegambler

Post by thegambler » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:46 am

Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:
quote:Originally posted by thegambler:

like i said before: i guess i will just stick to the tebow thread and let the big boys handle everything else. The idea of a four-team playoff in Weeks 11-12 is a tough sell here, which is where you were leading. I think KJ's 2+2 is a tough sell. What has progressed since then is the idea of keeping a 13-week regular season and adding a better form of playoffs with more teams than other contests had in Weeks 14-16, while still rewarding the regular season winners. The talk has led to this discussion today, so instead of feeling like an azz you should feel proud that the open dialogue led to the discussion you wanted to have.

Jump into the discussion professionally and add to the ideas and I don't think anyone will see you any other way than another respected NFFC owner helping the contest.
[/QUOTE]sorry greg, won't be jumping into the playoff discussion (yeah i am sure some of you are happy about that) no reason too.

see the good part about this thread is that people are listening and giving out other options and opinions on what KOQ wrote instead of telling him to beat it. telling him: "that if you don't like the current system you should go play somewhere else" or "don't let the door hit your azz on the way out"

good luck guys, i am sure whatever system the "vets" decide on i will probably still play.