A Second Waiver Wire

BillyWaz

A Second Waiver Wire

Post by BillyWaz » Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:22 am

For the record, I too would not want 2 waiver wire dates.

One is sufficient, and just put something in the rules so that everyone is aware for next year.

Like I said on an earlier post, you can put all kinds of rules in, but there will EVENTUALLY be something that they don't cover, and people will get upset over the decision made.

From the late Bob Marley....

"You can please some people some time, but you can't please all the people all the time"

RI WORKHORSE

A Second Waiver Wire

Post by RI WORKHORSE » Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:06 pm

Originally posted by Captain Hook:
While I think the debates and discussion are good, FIRST and foremost IMO you can't be making changes to the rules for the balance of this season....so let's continue the ideas and pros/cons with the idea it would be for next year.

1) Saturday instead of Friday FAAB run - I think this is a VERY GOOD idea - more time for those that need it and those who do everything before they disappear for a weekend (there must a few but not many) can still have their bids in on Friday.

2) The adding of roster spots does NOTHING to prevent last weekend's problems or any backup to play for injury. The majority of people who play in high stakes leagues will take the gamble on being shorted at Kicker (or DST in rare case) in order to roster extra chances at RB and WR. So the question there is the strategy and competitive balance of the contest. If you want 20 roster spots, stick to the NBC 12 teamer. Or play in both but realize they have differences which is a Good thing.

3) Not really sure if I need to add it in this discussion, but personally I am absolutely against a FCFS period after the FAAB run. It totally disorts the strategy and decision making involved in the FAAB process and roster management. Hook,

Why would I join the NBC???? Having two extra bench players on a 14 teamer is what I'm talking about...I want to play in a 14 teamer with a bigger bench :D :D I don't want a league with loaded rosters and a bigger bench... :D
I.W
Johnny Frisella

weber7777

A Second Waiver Wire

Post by weber7777 » Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:33 pm

there are no negatives to doing 2 waiver wire periods as long as you have to bid on players on either one.. no reason watsoever.. only positives
Check out fantasy football blog

www.weberfantasyfootball.com

weber7777

A Second Waiver Wire

Post by weber7777 » Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:35 pm

Originally posted by felixflamingo:
Overreacting to a once every 5-10 year thing.

Why does NFFC have to change because a few people took zeroes. Shouldn't those people think about changing their strategies? The rules are great, the contest made the obvious/only choice.

knee-jerk with all due respect alot of the people that had to take a zero are experienced players .. so you can't just chaulk it up to oh they should have been prepared.. Do you have 2 defenses on your roster?
Check out fantasy football blog

www.weberfantasyfootball.com

Uncle Rico

A Second Waiver Wire

Post by Uncle Rico » Tue Sep 16, 2008 3:40 pm

I've seen several object to two waiver runs, or even in lesser cases moving it to Saturday. But no one has really stated their case as to why they object.

If you get the players you want in the first waiver period, you don't have to bother with the second. At the same time, if you find out on Saturday that you are going to be short at a position for the week, for whatever cause, you will have an opportunity to correct your roster.

What would be the negatives?

BLACKHAND

A Second Waiver Wire

Post by BLACKHAND » Tue Sep 16, 2008 3:57 pm

why should anyone get a dollar player(which would happen)i still dont get why waivers could not be pushed back to sat on rare times that this happens. all would get the same sot at the same time. lets hope this never happens again but if it does just move it back a day. its not a sudden thing. we knew there was trouble when game got pushed to mon night.
THIS IS THE BUSINESS WE HAVE CHOSEN

trueblue

A Second Waiver Wire

Post by trueblue » Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:43 am

Originally posted by weber:
quote:Originally posted by felixflamingo:
Overreacting to a once every 5-10 year thing.

Why does NFFC have to change because a few people took zeroes. Shouldn't those people think about changing their strategies? The rules are great, the contest made the obvious/only choice.

knee-jerk with all due respect alot of the people that had to take a zero are experienced players .. so you can't just chaulk it up to oh they should have been prepared.. Do you have 2 defenses on your roster?
[/quote]

[ September 17, 2008, 07:44 AM: Message edited by: kentuckythunder ]

trueblue

A Second Waiver Wire

Post by trueblue » Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:01 am

IMHO, i feel 10 players on the bench is plenty in this format (because of FAAB). i don't think it makes that much difference when we put the waiver claims in, it will be fair to all. the only thing if we move them to later, it COULD take care of extenuating circumstances like this weekend. of course, everything could remain status quo with the caveat that the NFFC/NBC could install a disclaimer in the rules to retain the right to slide the waiver pick to a different time if it deems necessary "for the good of the game".
BTW, i do have 2 D/ST on all my teams.

[ September 17, 2008, 08:02 AM: Message edited by: kentuckythunder ]

GOD Hates You

A Second Waiver Wire

Post by GOD Hates You » Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:34 am

Assuming that there are 2 waiver periods, will the released players from period 1 be available to be picked up in the 2nd waiver period?
No need for 2 periods, just move the 1st back.
As far as a reason for not wanting 2 waiver periods: Some people don't have all day to spend on fantasy football, no matter what the stakes. If it runs at Saturday night at 9pm eastern, some participants now have 24 hours less to possibly submit their lineups. I would say it is a small percentage of participants that don't check their lineups on Sunday morning but that 24 hours does give players more time. 9PM Saturday to 1 PM sunday before the games. Also, aren't there games on Saturdays later in the year or have they done away with those?

Thanks and have a nice day.

danimal10

A Second Waiver Wire

Post by danimal10 » Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:13 am

The way we do it in our local league that does 2 waiver periods (Wed night and Sat night) is that anyone dropped that week is not eligible to be picked up until after that week's games. So if you dropped a player on Wednesday's waiver period, no one could pick them up until after the Monday game. This is a rule left over from when we used to do waiver wire on Wed and FCFS till Sunday and is primarily in place to prevent collusion.

I would think a similar rule here would apply if there were 2 periods.

Although I think the current system is fine and last week's experience was a very rare occurence, I really don't see the downside to two waiver periods under the terms above.

I think the downside to just having one and moving it back until Sat night is that it does hamstring or add a degree of difficulty for those whose weekends are busy/on the road/etc.

Certainly the current Friday system is good enough if it stays as is, though. Refresh my memory on whether waivers move from Friday currently when there is a Thurs game?

D