Mixed signals(?) in sidebetting, what now?

Diesel

Post by Diesel » Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:35 pm

If it were $1000 bets, how did the $500 come about? Did the rules/bets change every week?
*Ranked #1 Average Fantasy Football Player in the Nation 2004-2013

"Fantasy sports are all about LUCK. Except when I win."

Noose

Post by Noose » Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:39 am

No. He came up with "I quit" like on Friday or so, when didn't have a lot of time to figure things out by week 8 kickoff. I proposed the bet to be halved so that there is gonna be a bet until we get the matter resolved. He took a look at the lineups and agreed it was close to a 50-50 round with my byes and his injuries. Obviously the bet should've been for $1k too, but there wasn't enough time to make it work emailing back 'n forth.

Jersey Dawg

Post by Jersey Dawg » Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:38 am

Finnish - The guy is doing you wrong. No way in the world he should be able to quit while ahead of the game by $2,500. He took advantage of your injury to Foster and took your first $4,000. Now that Foster is back and his team is looking weak, he wants out of the deal???

If he wants out bad enough, he should return the entire $2500 you paid him and walk away with his tail between his legs and go cry in the corner.

Just my 2 cents.

Pete

KenGill

Post by KenGill » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:32 am

You dudes are crazy betting that kind of money, but that being said I agree with Jersey Dawg, you were at a disadvantage first couple of weeks and no way can he change the rules in the middle of the season. Either play it out completely or call it even now and quit.
I never lost a game. I only ran out of time. Bobby Layne
Kid....if you're going to make it in this league, you're going to have to learn to drink. Bobby Layne

Eddiejag

Post by Eddiejag » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:47 am

I also think this kind of money being spent is crazy considering you guys dont even know each other.
It doesnt suprise me either that things didnt go to plan.Ive been burned in the past myself taking bets like this when guys didnt have the money after the fact.Atleast he doesnt owe you he just wants out maybe he doesnt have the money to pay for what ever reasons.
Also did you guys make it clear that this was a year long deal or just assumed it.If not their isnt much you can do,he owes you no money and wants out.You cant make him bet and would just let it go and a lesson learned.Dont bet with people you dont know.
Good luck either way.
NFBC (NY) auction league champion!
Bad(ass)Angels

He who steps to me in 2005, you better realize you dont have enough jive..... TURKEY!

Diesel

Post by Diesel » Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:26 am

I remember I made a deal with Johnny Frisella(RIWorkhorse) that I would get him something if I won the NFFC Auction, in a year where I looked like I might take the league. I don't even remember what I was supposed to give because I didn't win...But it was the kind of deal that we kind of made, in talking, joking around about how cool it would be to win such a tough league...Johnny told me he'd buy me a bottle of Grey Goose if he won...It was a gentleman's agreement and Johnny ended up going on a tear. The very next draft day, Johnny showed up with a big bottle of Grey Goose Vodka for me.

Some people stick by their word. Some don't.

[ November 02, 2011, 05:30 PM: Message edited by: Diesel ]

TR

Post by TR » Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:16 pm

Still waiting on the other dude's side of story....

Noose

Post by Noose » Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:35 pm

Me too.

Last night he asked me to post his emails to me here. I'm gonna include the latest email exchange based on my request of the A or the B options. We've been going back and forth, but this latest exchange sums it up pretty well what we've been up to the last week. Sorry, it's on the longer side so it takes a bit of an effort to read through.

Riku:

"http://nffcboards.stats.com/cgi-bin/ult ... 1;t=007203

Check out the thread, pick option a or b. The A is against my better judgment, but I want to get this over with if you're not willing to continue. I should ask you to refund 'em all given the disadvantages you've put me into by pulling this stuff, but you may also opt to continue until week 16 like the bet orgininally was."

Asa:

"The bet was not until wk 16, if you wanted it to be until week 16 you shld have said that!!!!

Wow this message board is hilarious!! I will jump in when I get home! This sold be fun!

Haha why do you keep telling me I only have 2 options??? I have whatever option I want, bc I won the weeks fair and square. It wouldn't have mad a difference if you knew I wasn't going to bet all 16 weeks with foster out. You still would have bet me the first 8 weeks!!! Why would I assume we are betting for 16 weeks if that was never said one time??? If you are under the assumption either person can drop out at any point, then their is nothing to discuss if I do not want to bet that week. If you wanted to wager all 16 weeks then without a doubt, you shld have definitely said that and since u didn't, u can't acutally expect me to assume it if it was never said. My option is to continue to do what I was under the impression we were doing and bet you during the weeks I actually think I will win. I would never bet a week where I thought I was going to lose."

The only question that needs to asked on this great nffc debate is am I wrong to assume that the side wager isn't for all 16 weeks??? How could I possibly be wrong not to assume that, if it was never said????? I have done 2 fantasy sidebets before in my life and in both that was never the case. Why wld I assume that we had to bet for all 16 weeks??? It makes no sense why I would be under that assumption!!!"

Riku:

"You really, really underestimate my intelligence. I am not as stupid as you seem to think I am.

We'll continue at the board when you get there."

Asa:

"I am not following me thinking you are stupid! What does that mean"

Riku:

"If you really think I would've played all the first 4 weeks with Foster situation should I've known your opt out clause, you're as wrong as you can be. It's like me thinking that you would've not opted out if Vick was down/very limited... should I've known about such clause. Come on man.

And the double standard. You didn't see either a reason to tell me of such an option, even with the advantage you had early on in the season?! But I should've told you that a bet is a bet which lasts for a season? All the bets I've made playing fantasy football (something between 20-30 bets) have all been either for fantasy regular season or playoffs included, depending on the system the league runs on. In NFFC it makes sense to sidebet all the playoffs as well, since every team still plays 16 weeks in consolation rounds and is involved until the end of fantasy football season.

It is true though that we should've made it clear if we're playing for the regular season or the playoffs as well... that's a semi-grey area."

Asa:

"Its the truth that we shld have clarified however long we were suppose to be betting for so that's why I am not wrong to assume that there wasn't a limit on when either person cld get out. Why would I assume I have to bet all 16 weeks if that was never said??? I would never even think of something like that!! If it was clarified in anyway, then yea, I would have to continue to bet every week but me thinking that I could get out at any point during the year is not an irrational thought considering it was never said. If I am justifying why I was under this impression, then obviously I shouldn't have to repay you money or continue to wager every week if we never agreed on betting every week in the first place!! You are admitting that it was never said and that is all I need to support my thought process of being under the impression either of us can stop when we want, therefore its crazy to expect any more!!!

My first pick was nicks, and if at the beginning of the season when I had no other injuries and a full lineup and he was suppose to play wk 1 but didn't, then I still wld have bet u I think!! "

Riku:

You have an amazing ability to shut your eyes from the advantage you got by me not knowing of such an opt out. Not to mention the advantage you would've had if one of my studs went down for the season, with me still having no clue that I can get out of the bet. It's a ridicilously HUGE advantage to have, and therefore it must be compensated, or the bet to stand throughout the season. Bottom line. Try putting yourself in my shoes if that'd help to see things from my perspective.

Plus, in your message to the league news you say that you "love betting every week", what else should I gather from that especially when my default is that the bet stands throughout the season? Man, I don't read minds."

Asa:

"Just post all my emails I send you to the thread."

[ November 03, 2011, 05:37 AM: Message edited by: Riku ]

Diesel

Post by Diesel » Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:09 am

The cold hard truth is that if there is nothing written and signed by the both of you, there is no way to change anything.

I strongly suggest NOONE bet this much money like this again. The fun goes away and things get very serious when you're talking about this much money.

Good luck trying to resolve this.

thegambler

Post by thegambler » Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:26 am

i hate to say it riku but without it ever being brought up how long the bet was your screwed.

i was totally on your side until you posted the back and forth emails. you even say yourself that the lenght of the bet was never said just implied.

although, i still think the other guy is trying to get out on a technicality...your screwed.

his line of "bet you during the weeks I actually think I will win."...is great so i guess he can take weeks off because of injury and byes.

sucks for you.....good luck