Quitter team issue

renman

Quitter team issue

Post by renman » Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:58 pm

The topic of owners who quit on their teams and fellow league members when things go bad comes up on this forum every single year around week 8 or 9. Every year there are a number of frustrated owners who think the issue should be addressed while others think you just sit back, let it happen and accept it.

Many different remedies have been discussed over the years.

It may be a bit late for this (or maybe not) and this certainly will not solve the problem. But I know in the past I mentioned that this topic should be addressed BEFORE THE SEASON when everyone is wide eyed and optimistic and excited about their prospects.

Maybe an announcement at the live drafts before things start about the importance of playing out the season to the best of your abilities no matter how things are going for your team could help. Explaining that it is the responsibility of each owner to uphold the competitive integrity of the league when stakes are this high. Explain how this isn't a 'just for fun yahoo league' or a local league with the guys at the bowling center where quitting on a season may be acceptable. This is a high stakes event where people are risking a lot of money to play what should be a fair competition.

Maybe if these things are sent in an email or newsletter as a reminder of how this is more of a professional competition we might see less quitting this year.

Just an idea.

alanr824

Quitter team issue

Post by alanr824 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:51 pm

Originally posted by Renman:
The topic of owners who quit on their teams and fellow league members when things go bad comes up on this forum every single year around week 8 or 9. Every year there are a number of frustrated owners who think the issue should be addressed while others think you just sit back, let it happen and accept it.

Many different remedies have been discussed over the years.

It may be a bit late for this (or maybe not) and this certainly will not solve the problem. But I know in the past I mentioned that this topic should be addressed BEFORE THE SEASON when everyone is wide eyed and optimistic and excited about their prospects.

Maybe an announcement at the live drafts before things start about the importance of playing out the season to the best of your abilities no matter how things are going for your team could help. Explaining that it is the responsibility of each owner to uphold the competitive integrity of the league when stakes are this high. Explain how this isn't a 'just for fun yahoo league' or a local league with the guys at the bowling center where quitting on a season may be acceptable. This is a high stakes event where people are risking a lot of money to play what should be a fair competition.

Maybe if these things are sent in an email or newsletter as a reminder of how this is more of a professional competition we might see less quitting this year.

Just an idea. I completely agree. Maybe an incentive for best 2nd half team in each league. Something to keep teams interested.

TOMDOG

Quitter team issue

Post by TOMDOG » Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:34 am

If a draft is supposed to start at say noon,i dont want it starting at noon oh one even.
Let the owner get up there,and say LETS DRAFT,and we start.

I wouldnt even mind a countdown from 10 seconds before noon even,jmo.

Sandman62

Quitter team issue

Post by Sandman62 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:50 am

For future consideration... what if the NFFC charged an extra $100 Competition Integrity Deposit in the main events (and maybe $50 in the Online?). At the end of the season, Greg/Tom reach out to a couple owners per league, inquiring if they felt that anyone quit in their league. If so, they research it. Or instead, just put out a vote to each league. Either way, any suspect teams are researched (not ALL teams), and if found to have quit, they don't get their deposit back?

Of course, this would require defining "quit", but I think this could be feasible.

chriseibl

Quitter team issue

Post by chriseibl » Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:27 am

i think that rule might turn people off. when it comes down to it, the type of people who quit are usually the type of people you want in your league.

Quahogs

Quitter team issue

Post by Quahogs » Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:35 am

Originally posted by TOMDOG:
If a draft is supposed to start at say noon,i dont want it starting at noon oh one even.

TOMDOG ! absolutely man.. I think a starter gun with a big Gillis BANG ! and a checkered flag would do just fine. Or maybe we could borrow your terrible towel. I guess you got out of Jersey alive huh ? :D

[ September 08, 2011, 09:36 AM: Message edited by: Quahogs ]

TOMDOG

Quitter team issue

Post by TOMDOG » Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:56 am

Originally posted by Stealth SNAKE:
quote:Originally posted by TOMDOG:

I wouldnt even mind a countdown from 10 seconds before noon even,jmo. Uhm, er, ah, TD...are you awake yet or are you simply suffering from a case of the Vegas Hangover Syndrome, man? ;)
[/QUOTE]Good luck today Glenn,see ya in the draftroom,dont be late,we start at NOON. :D ;)

TOMDOG

Quitter team issue

Post by TOMDOG » Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:03 am

Originally posted by Quahogs:
quote:Originally posted by TOMDOG:

TOMDOG ! absolutely man.. I think a starter gun with a big Gillis BANG ! and a checkered flag would do just fine. Or maybe we could borrow your terrible towel. I guess you got out of Jersey alive huh ? :D
[/QUOTE]YOU DA MAN STEVE,and yes,the TERRIBLE TOWEL has unrivaled powers,and got me home safe and mostly sound. :D
I have brought 3 towels to vegas,and may use the pink terrible towel today for cancer awareness,but PINK,BLACK or GOLD ITS STIL terrible news for all opponents,and brings magical powers to all who use its powers for the good my friend.