How is Fantasy Football different from Fantasy Baseball ?

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:08 am

Originally posted by Go Getta:
I know what you are talking about Billy. We had JRoll go on the "15 day DL" and they couldn't retroactive it because Philly used him as a PH. It cost us like a month with him. Chris Young was on the DL for like 3 months and he is back there now. Lost CJ Wilson for the season, Sheff was on the DL, Mags on the DL, Longoria on the DL, Hudson out for the season. Etc... Go Gettas,

Most who play baseball understand, and most who don't, can figure it out also.

Good luck defending your title this year, and at least being the FIRST who won it all to get back to the championship round! :D

Inf4life

Post by Inf4life » Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:05 am

Originally posted by SNAKE:
quote:Originally posted by Go Getta:
All I know is that our baseball team has pissed us off to no end this year. Constant injuries and underperforming. Football can't get here fast enough. ...when players underperform the onus is always on YOU the owner...injuries however are an entirely different matter altogether though...nothing is as frustrating as not being able to field a competitive team due to a set of circumstances that are a whole other different kind of "far beyond an owner's control"...SNAKE [/QUOTE]How is it on the owner if his player underperforms? When a player has all the tools to succeed and then doesn't because of no fault of his own how is that my fault?? I.e. Leyland leaves Verlander in too long and he gives up 3 more earned runs. Or Philly decides to keep using Jimmy Rollins as a PH or PR and not put him on the DL. So we end up losing him for a month. My point is that it's not the owners fault for a player underperforming. Just like injuries it is all out of our hands. Basically you are saying that you can see the future and know who is going to perform up to standard and who isn't?? If you can see the future so well how did you not see yourself blowing your FAAB wad so fast??
2007 NFFC Classic Champion

ultimatefs

Post by ultimatefs » Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:10 am

quote:Originally posted by SNAKE:
quote:Originally posted by Go Getta:
All I know is that our baseball team has pissed us off to no end this year. Constant injuries and underperforming. Football can't get here fast enough. ...when players underperform the onus is always on YOU the owner...injuries however are an entirely different matter altogether though...nothing is as frustrating as not being able to field a competitive team due to a set of circumstances that are a whole other different kind of "far beyond an owner's control"...SNAKE [/QUOTE]How is it on the owner if his player underperforms? When a player has all the tools to succeed and then doesn't because of no fault of his own how is that my fault?? I.e. Leyland leaves Verlander in too long and he gives up 3 more earned runs. Or Philly decides to keep using Jimmy Rollins as a PH or PR and not put him on the DL. So we end up losing him for a month. My point is that it's not the owners fault for a player underperforming. Just like injuries it is all out of our hands. Basically you are saying that you can see the future and know who is going to perform up to standard and who isn't?? If you can see the future so well how did you not see yourself blowing your FAAB wad so fast??
[/QUOTE]Great post.

We all make bad picks now and then, but I have no control over under performing players than I do lucking out with a Ryan Dempster. NO ONE could have predicted his season so far.
Jules is a Dirt bag and makes my luck.

rkulaski

Post by rkulaski » Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:30 am

How is fantasy baseball and football different? In terms of the NFFC and NFBC, my experience has been that I put hours and hours more prep time into preparing the NFBC main event. Injuries have gotten the best of me in both sports and I agree with some other posts in that a football injury can be more impactful because of the shorter season. However, I lost my top 2 draft picks to injury for 1-2 months this year in baseball and dropped from 1st to 7th in my league over that time although it could've been worse.

One more point...

As for football, there's nothing like watching your players live on Sundays and the thrill of watching your RB churn out 100 yds by half time, especially when the dream of $100k is alive.
That being said, there's also nothing like managing your 30-team roster in baseball and checking box scores EVERY night seeing how your team moves up (or down!) in the standings. Also, there's just so much more strategy and planning involved throughout the course of the 6 month baseball season. In fact, it seems like almost every week there are new players to target through free agency. It just makes every week fun.(I guess the same can be said for football?).

Inf4life

Post by Inf4life » Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:33 am

Originally posted by SNAKE:
...SIMPLE: if YOU pick a player who underperforms for whatever reason, tough shitt, as YOU had the choice of picking that player or any other player still available to YOU in that spot...YOU decided to pick him and if he underperforms then it's a bad pick and it's on YOU...on the other hand if YOU pick a player who gets injured then no one, including YOU, will have ever had the chance to find out if that player would have underperformed, overperformed or anywhere in between...very simply, injuries are bad luck whereas underperformance is bad educated guessing (abilty-related - YOUR fault)...SNAKE What about when you pick more than one player with a past full of injuries and then, shocker, they get hurt (Javon, Ahman)? Whose fault is that then??
2007 NFFC Classic Champion

pizzatyme

Post by pizzatyme » Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:36 am

For me, fantasy baseball is a long, drawn out trip to the dentist. Football is fast, fun, and furious.

But, that's just me.
2008- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic.
2009- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic or Primetime.

CC's Desperados

Post by CC's Desperados » Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:37 am

quote:Originally posted by SNAKE:
...SIMPLE: if YOU pick a player who underperforms for whatever reason, tough shitt, as YOU had the choice of picking that player or any other player still available to YOU in that spot...YOU decided to pick him and if he underperforms then it's a bad pick and it's on YOU...on the other hand if YOU pick a player who gets injured then no one, including YOU, will have ever had the chance to find out if that player would have underperformed, overperformed or anywhere in between...very simply, injuries are bad luck whereas underperformance is bad educated guessing (abilty-related - YOUR fault)...SNAKE What about when you pick more than one player with a past full of injuries and then, shocker, they get hurt (Javon, Ahman)? Whose fault is that then?? [/QUOTE]Crack Pipe!