Time to get rid of head to head play

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:24 am

I think you answered your own question, Mark.

If only 10% of the people (based on your estimate) are getting in solely because of H2H, it gives people a "rush" each week, AND it makes the game more enjoyable for the vast majority, why would it be in the NFFC's best interest to get rid of it??? :confused:

In the NFL, is it fair that every division is REQUIRED to send a team to the playoffs?? I am pretty sure there have been years when teams who have had better records were sitting at home because a team in a "crappy" division won their division at 9-7.

There are always going to be a few people who get screwed in ALL contests. It sucks, but eliminating H2H would DESTROY this contest.

Like you said, "people want instant gratification". You also gotta remember that your reasons for playing fantasy football are in the extreme minority. Most people (I would say easily 90%+ of the top of my head) ENJOY watching football, and H2H only adds to that experience ("my guys vs theirs"). :D

[ November 16, 2009, 06:25 AM: Message edited by: BillyWaz ]

Shrink Attack

Post by Shrink Attack » Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:00 am

Here's one for you, although my conclusion might surprise you.

My Classic team has lost 3 games this season all by less than 1 point:

Week 3: Lost by 0.65 points
Week 4: Lost by 0.75 points
Week 10: Lost by 0.45 points

People might expect me to be bitter or exclaim unfairness or even utter the "Luck" word. But truth be told, it was exciting to follow it down to the wire and if the contest were total points, the final score would've been meaningless.

The contest needs weekly H2H from a business standpoint. Even an "all-play" format doesn't capture the flavor of a mano vs. mano matchup. The game operators recognize that and aren't going to fall on their own sword for some greater good.

Once everyone understands that once and for all, it should really end the debate, as all other arguments superfluous.
"Deserve" ain't got nothin' to do with it
---Clint Eastwood in The Unforgiven

Gordon Gekko II

Post by Gordon Gekko II » Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:20 am

Originally posted by Shrink Attack:
But truth be told, it was exciting to follow it down to the wire and if the contest were total points, the final score would've been meaningless.
Paul – If you don’t finish with the best H2H record in your league (1 in 14 chance or 7%), H2H was meaningless in determining your outcome (of course, unless you get SCREWED because of the 10% I mentioned previously).

[ November 16, 2009, 07:24 AM: Message edited by: Gekko ]

renman

Post by renman » Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:40 am

Gekko,

Since the NFFC is so heavily connected to TOTAL POINTS as opposed to H2H as it relates to who makes the playoffs and ultimately cashes, why do you complain about H2H in the NFFC so much?

I think it could be argued that H2H should maybe be slightly raised in importance to properly entertain, motivate, and RETAIN people who participate in this event.

Your approach to fantasy football (as BillyWaz accurately pointed out) is very much in the minority. While I PERSONALLY as a highly competitive fantasy football player, prefer the format that removes as much "luck" as possible.. I also recognize that the format has to appeal to the masses if I am to be able to enjoy a major high stakes game.

What I like or want may not be what is best for the overall event that I gain much entertainment (and pain) from every year. If I want something that is a total points sprint I can have it in a DC league. Or maybe we can have a satelite league with an all-play format for those who want it. But for the main event, we have to have H2H component and you may have shed light on how the NFFC possibly moved too far away from the H2H value.

flex

Post by flex » Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:26 am

Have each team earn up to 2 points a week
1 point for winning your head to head
1 point for finishing in the top 6.

Replace h2h record with points earned after week 13.

sportsbettingman

Post by sportsbettingman » Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:46 am

Two thoughts...

1) For every person whose number one motivation for playing fantasy sports is a financial investment...there are at least two whose number one reason is the enjoyment of top level competition.

2) In my opinion...not only do those who play these games for financial investment as their number one motivation wish to remove all the fun and luck from the games to increase their odds of getting that return on investment...they are also the ones who own 10 to 30 plus teams, thus to them...they really have no team...they virtually own every player, and they don't give a rats ass about the person who has one team per year, and loves the fun derived from the H2H element.

[edited to add "rats ass"...never miss an opportunity to squeeze in a rats ass comment whenever possible! :D ]

[ November 16, 2009, 02:02 PM: Message edited by: sportsbettingman ]
"The first man what makes a move can count amongst 'is treasure a ball from this pistol."

~Long John Silver

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:53 am

As a person who owns 10 to 30 teams, I would like to chime in this.

Anyone who shells out $1,300 to play high stakes fantasy football, baseball, basketball, etc. and says they aren't playing it as some sort of an investment isn't being honest with themselves. While MOST everyone enjoys watching the games, and H2H, if you weren't in it "for the $$$", then you could get the same "competitive fire" from a local or Yahoo league.

It doesn't mean that someone who has "more teams" doesn't necessarily love the game as much (at least certainly not in my case), it's just they may enjoy the STRATEGY of fantasy football more than someone else. I personally have no problem with H2H, as it is a necessary component of high stakes football. I DO have issues with leagues that don't offer prizes/offer minimal prizes before the "playoffs", and a season of dominating can go out the window because I had a bad week, or ran into a buzzsaw in week 15. :(

A good friend of mine nailed it IMO. He said, "the best part of fantasy football is the preparation and talk upto the draft and including draft day. After that it just isn't as exciting!"

I personally LOVE drafting teams! The 2 minutes before it is time to draft, and getting everything in order to make a selection from my pick......nothing better, IMO! :D

While making the right call on a start/sit or picking up a gem in FAAB can be exciting, it pales in comparison to "draft day"!

And when you have 10-30 teams, "draft day" is virtually EVERY day in the last 2 weeks of August/first 2 weeks in September! :eek:

"Hi my name is Bill, and I have a fantasy football problem."

[ November 16, 2009, 01:56 PM: Message edited by: BillyWaz ]

sportsbettingman

Post by sportsbettingman » Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:12 am

Maybe there is a letdown on the fun-o-meter post-draft due to having so many teams that you really do not have "a team" to root for. (unless of course you also have a $10,000-$20,000 team...THAT team would get your attention.)

When you only have one team...each week is a blast!
"The first man what makes a move can count amongst 'is treasure a ball from this pistol."

~Long John Silver

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:20 am

Originally posted by sportsbettingman:
Maybe there is a letdown on the fun-o-meter post-draft due to having so many teams that you really do not have "a team" to root for. (unless of course you also have a $10,000-$20,000 team...THAT team would get your attention.)

When you only have one team...each week is a blast! Maybe you are right!

But what would I do for my "love to draft" problem?

And don't say mocks!

Sandman62

Post by Sandman62 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:57 am

My son and I completely agree that DRAFT DAY is the highlight of each season! We start planning, reading, spreadsheeting, mocking in June and feed the obsession all summer. And the excitement of the live drafts, at which we sometimes have to remind ourselves to BREATHE... is just awesome! :D