The Top Tier TE Sans Dilemma

kentucky

Post by kentucky » Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:54 am

I, for one, am NOT going to disagree with you. If you start with your strategy, you CAN catchup with 2-3 (non WR1's). I'll caveat this with the strategy is more or less risky depending what your slot is and how the draft goes.
bill cleavenger
"BIG BLUE NATION" ... We don't rebuild, we reload!!!

Sandman62

Post by Sandman62 » Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:15 am

I also agree that it CAN work. Or it could backfire if you whiff on all 3 WRs - esp. seeing none of them are proven (i.e. more than one good year, like Lloyd) WR1s. I think you're undervaluing the peace of mind of the truly TOP WRs - who most years deliver very well on their ADP. Andre, Calvin, Roddy - aren't they head and shoulders above their peers, just like the top-tier QBs and TEs?

IMO, it might work better, as Bill suggests, from certain spots in the draft order. For instance, nearer one of the ENDs - so that you can get two of the TOP WR2s almost back-to-back. Because if you only get one Holmes/Dez type, then your WR2 and 3 are Mike Thomas and Davone Bess, you may be in for a rough ride.

[ August 14, 2011, 12:19 PM: Message edited by: Sandman62 ]

kentucky

Post by kentucky » Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:35 am

As much as I love saying this (maybe), I think Mike and I can agree on something. You (at least I) can't go into any draft with a specific plan of attack. I can have a few strategies in place, but you have to take what's dealt to you and hopefully have a good feeling what's going to be available on the return. I think we all know what dividends come from drafting by the seat of your pants. You have to look a couple rounds in the future to be successful in this game.
bill cleavenger
"BIG BLUE NATION" ... We don't rebuild, we reload!!!

Sandman62

Post by Sandman62 » Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:04 am

Agreed Bill. We do go in with a rough blueprint, usually heavy on WRs and QB early, waiting on RBs. But we do adapt to what the draft offers us.

For instance, in last year's Primetime, we took Austin near the end of round 1, and had planned to target another WR, then probably a QB in round 3. But when Michael Turner made it back to us in round 2, we couldn't resist. Even moreso when Mendenhall was still there in early round 3! After taking Nicks near the end of round 4, when Witten made it back to us in early round 5... well, we found ourselves through 5 rounds with only 2 WRs and no QB! :eek: Yet, we were still pleased with the value we'd gotten with TWO potential top-10 RBs and a top TE. We took Cutler in round 6 and we came out of that draft very pleased with our core. After adding Holmes a few rounds later, we thought we were in pretty good shape. Of course, once Romo went down, Austin fell off quite a bit, plus Nicks got hurt for awhile, and Cutler was just terrible (at least until we find a league that awards QBs for how much time they spend on their BACKS?! ).

But I do agree that draft blueprints are, for us, rough outlines of what we think we can get. If our leaguemates are willing to offer us BETTER value than we thought we could get, we certainly are willing to oblige. After that, the fantasy gods control our fate, and what looked good on paper (or draft boards), may or may not pan out.

[ August 14, 2011, 01:06 PM: Message edited by: Sandman62 ]

David U. Kennedy

Post by David U. Kennedy » Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:07 pm

I use to employ the early TE and QB strategy. I would target Gates andf Brady often. It won me a few championships. But I feel now most of the top TEs are either old or very injury prone. Not worth the risk to me anymore. I would rather be picking RB and WR in those rounds. QB I feel is the deepest its ever been. Freeman Shaub Flacco Ryan and maybe even Kolb should do just fine as Fantasy Starting QBs. Thats my take. All top 3 TEs last year went down with season ending injuries. Finley is the only guy who is under 30 years old.

Sandman62

Post by Sandman62 » Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:45 pm

Here's a good counterpoint article to drafting a top-tier TE early.

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Sun Aug 14, 2011 3:28 pm

The problem with this debate, is that it really isn't any different than any other position.

I mean seriously.....PICK UP the Peyton Hillis (or draft him late), Michael Vick, Brandon Lloyd, Jacob Tamme, Marcedes Lewis, etc. and you don't need to reach at ANY position.

Those 5 players alone would of won you a championship last year!

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:00 pm

Originally posted by The FF Maestro:
quote:Originally posted by BillyWaz:
The problem with this debate, is that it really isn't any different than any other position.

I mean seriously.....PICK UP the Peyton Hillis (or draft him late), Michael Vick, Brandon Lloyd, Jacob Tamme, Marcedes Lewis, etc. and you don't need to reach at ANY position.

Those 5 players alone would of won you a championship last year! Uhm yeah, but that falls more under the WW category, don't you think?...
[/QUOTE]Exactly.....instead of the waiver wire, draft them in the last round, and no need to take them early!!! :D