Playoff System Protest

thegambler

Playoff System Protest

Post by thegambler » Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:30 am

Originally posted by DoubleG:
this thread is hilarious. if i were running an event, i would not want to be associated with "how wcoff conducted their game/business"

if people think they attracted so many players because of their playoff system, i don't think you are seeing the bigger picture.

wcoff got so many people because their payouts were too good to be true. allegedly a big PONZI scheme. what about the very quick rise of the ffpc? they started their league to mirror the wcoff except for a few minor scoring changes. what do you attribute their success too?

i would say having a very similar system to the wcoff would be the key element....which did include having a playoff.

relax guys....its not like i am going to change the NFFC all by myself. there would have to be a overwhelming amount of people to make such a huge change to this system. i didn't even bring this thread up just gave my opinion on the subject.

no reason to kick my azz out of here....or let the door get me...lol. i find it funny how pasionate some get over fantasy football, including myself

Riverdog

Playoff System Protest

Post by Riverdog » Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:32 am

here is my 2 cents.

I really like both formats. I think rewarding best regular season AND having a playoffs is the way to go. Similar to FFPC.

Give a nice prize for top score and record, then also have a playoffs for a smaller prize and a chance to make the Championship round via a playoffs.
This way if you have a team that performs well and is at the top of the league but misses on those top 2 prizes, they can still compete for a smaller prize and a chance at the Championship round.

The problem I see is how to do that and keep a 13 week regular season. I'm not sure how to do that.
2006 WCOFF CHAMP !
2008 3rd Overall NFFC Classic, Regular Season Points Champion!
2008 and 2009: WCFF Magazine experts league Champ.
2011 Gunning for a 2nd National title

thegambler

Playoff System Protest

Post by thegambler » Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:34 am

Originally posted by felixflamingo:
quote:

i find it funnier that long time NFFC players are so resistant to change. that they want less players and less money. :rolleyes: I've been here 7 years, would check the WCOFF website once in a while and the thing that amazed me was the playoffs, the page was a mile long. If you made the playoffs you made it along with over 100 other people, maybe more, someone can correct me if they want...

That's not something I'm remotely interested in. So count 1 against your "majority"
[/QUOTE]not sure what you are reffering to when you say over 100 other people made the playoffs. they did have over 70+ leagues, so a lot of teams are going to make the championship round if that is what you are reffering to.

i think their championship round would be around 150 or so....something like that.

joetreff

Playoff System Protest

Post by joetreff » Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:41 am

Just saying more people making the playoffs isn't a good or bad thing, it's based on opinion, to me it's bad.

I'd rather pay $1400 for a 1 in 44 chance at 100K than $1900 for a 1-150 chance at 300K.

FFOC paid a million bucks and went out of biz. (at least they paid) WCOFF couldn't handle 300K.
There is something to be said for keeping numbers reasonable...ask Chad Shroeder, which checks was he able to cash.

[ November 16, 2011, 03:41 PM: Message edited by: felixflamingo ]

Greg Ambrosius

Playoff System Protest

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:55 am

Originally posted by thegambler:
quote:Originally posted by BillyWaz:
[qb] i personally believe that a playoff format is what the majority does want....that is why the wcoff was the biggest and the ffpc was 2nd biggest and now the biggest HSFF league. people enjoy having a better chance at making the playoffs. having 4 teams gives more people a chance. keeps more teams involved longer. more teams involved longer makes for happier team owners and more repeat costumers, who in turn recommend your site/league.

i would say the numbers favor a playoff... [/QUOTE]I could get 900 teams next year like the WCOFF did if I offer a $300,000 grand prize and held this on the first weekend of the NFL season. I probably wouldn't make any money, but playoff or not I could get the most entries.

Unfortunately, this isn't a contest between NFFC and FFPC. And if it was, we'd both be called winners. Remember Andy, we have two Main Events with two $100,000 grand prizes and finished with 640 teams at $1,400 each. FFPC was at 720, so both improved greatly this year. I truly believe both contests will grow next year and that we both will get some of those lost 500 WCOFF teams we had this year and in many cases I bet the same owners play both contests that weekend in Las Vegas.

for us to be more relevant in the 12-team space, we need to increase the big carrot and continue to do what we do best with customer service, the back-end software, the quick payouts, the solid rules, the first class live experience, etc. I think if we do that and structure our two Main Events to cater to the masses we'll be fine. The discussion about the playoff format is worthy and productive, but there isn't any data I've seen yet to support your case that this is needed right now or the NFFC will fail. All of our league races are hotly contested right now and I'll provide more of that data soon. Let's allow the facts to speak for themselves, but keep the discussion going. It's fun.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

thegambler

Playoff System Protest

Post by thegambler » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:19 am

greg, never said the nffc will fail if they don't do a playoff....i think i said they won't grow as fast as they can. that they won't get the wcoff refugees that took the year off.

i am also i business owner and i know more customers means more money for me. also means more work and more expenses but more money.

customer service is a good thing but does not keep people away from joining a league. look at how the wcoff was run since jesse and dustin took over. they ran it like sh*t but still kept up the 900 teams. he*l, they even had crappy pay schedule but still kept it up to 900 teams.

i know people won't agree with this either but the bigger the grand prize the more people that join.

Tom Kessenich

Playoff System Protest

Post by Tom Kessenich » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:23 am

look at how the wcoff was run since jesse and dustin took over. they ran it like sh*t but still kept up the 900 teams. he*l, they even had crappy pay schedule but still kept it up to 900 teams. I think that begs the question of whether they reached 900 teams because they had a playoff system or because they had a $300,000 grand prize. Or possibly both. I definitely could be wrong but I'm not sure it was the format which drew so many teams to that event over the years.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

thegambler

Playoff System Protest

Post by thegambler » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:26 am

and the facts are, that the ffpc has grown to be the biggest HSFF event after only 3 years. not saying it is because they have a system very similar to wcoff but that is my guess. they came about because the owners and some players were getting frustrated with the wcoff.

they started out with i think 150 teams the first year and now are over 700+ teams

Greg Ambrosius

Playoff System Protest

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:29 am

i know people won't agree with this either but the bigger the grand prize the more people that join. NOW WE'RE SPEAKING THE SAME LANGUAGE!! :D

I think the audience we are talking about want 12-team leagues first (but may also play 14 team leagues) and they want to do this live in Las Vegas on the first weekend of the NFL season with Viewing Parties and the whole fun atmosphere. We get that. It was tough to plan for that this year with us never having been on that weekend of the season. Next year, things will be different. So plan accordingly and plan for more teams in the NFFC with or without a change in the playoff structure.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

BLACKHAND

Playoff System Protest

Post by BLACKHAND » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:30 am

i love how we are referred to as wcoff guys....
THIS IS THE BUSINESS WE HAVE CHOSEN