Playoff System Protest

Money

Playoff System Protest

Post by Money » Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:14 pm

All play in weeks 1 & 2 seems on the surface as being the way to go. Everyone is fired up and tracking their teams religiously. Weeks 12 & 13 are reserved for chasing down the leaders or being chased. I understand the reasoning behind it.

I think that from a competitive standpoint and fairness for the game given that we have teams that quit, it's most fair to have weeks 12 & 13 as the all play weeks. The problem is it takes from the competitive juices as the season winds down and the adrenaline that goes with it.

The trade off is the rush (at the end) vs knowing that the best teams without the influence of quitters are rewarded.

Most here have been on both ends. Personally I'd rather have it be fair and let 12 & 13 be a little less exciting. I certainly understand the flip side and have no problem competing knowing the rules that way.
Joe

TR

Playoff System Protest

Post by TR » Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:25 pm

Originally posted by Money:
All play in weeks 1 & 2 seems on the surface as being the way to go. Everyone is fired up and tracking their teams religiously. Weeks 12 & 13 are reserved for chasing down the leaders or being chased. I understand the reasoning behind it.

I think that from a competitive standpoint and fairness for the game given that we have teams that quit, it's most fair to have weeks 12 & 13 as the all play weeks. The problem is it takes from the competitive juices as the season winds down and the adrenaline that goes with it.

The trade off is the rush (at the end) vs knowing that the best teams without the influence of quitters are rewarded.

Most here have been on both ends. Personally I'd rather have it be fair and let 12 & 13 be a little less exciting. I certainly understand the flip side and have no problem competing knowing the rules that way. I agree and would rather have it be fair but would be more than happy with whatever the concensus is

thegambler

Playoff System Protest

Post by thegambler » Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:28 am

i know i saw someone say this somewhere and i will repeat it: how about rewarding the team with the most total points for weeks 12 and 13.....if you change the all-play to those weeks. then even the teams that have given up might jump back in with the chance of, maybe, winning a couple of bucks. just a thought....

BLACKHAND

Playoff System Protest

Post by BLACKHAND » Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:36 am

i was saying to make entry fee 100 more per team and give high score 120 starting in week 7. you can collect money or use it for the post season event greg and tom run. might keep most teams playing for a free shot in post season event. nothing is perfect. doing the all play that late makes it hard to catch leader.

[ November 23, 2011, 01:36 PM: Message edited by: THE_BLACKHAND ]
THIS IS THE BUSINESS WE HAVE CHOSEN

thegambler

Playoff System Protest

Post by thegambler » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:20 am

Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:
quote:Originally posted by Blue_Foot:
Greg and all,

So much for anonymity...LOL!

Well, since my Blue_Foot mask is off, I guess I have to come clean about the fact that I would never, ever throw a game. Just not my nature. Can't do it.

The threat was just a tactic to get attention for this issue. I am very sorry if my ploy angered anyone. I truly do believe a playoff system would add a lot to the league.

Finally, my concern is not for this season. Its about my fantasy choices for future years. I want to be in a league that gives the most potential fun. Also, is it unfair or lucky when a team is eliminated from the NFL in the playoffs? No...the idea of a playoff is that not all games are equally important. Some are "regular games" others are "playoff games". When you get to the end, the importance of the games increase...that makes a better league as people seek to improve each week and build a great team over the course of the season...not just in the draft. The other way is actually just draft luck...LOL!

OK...how about trying both systems simultaneously next year in the PrimeTime? Leave the classic...classic. But, put a six team playoff and a six team consolation playoff system in place in the PrimeTime.

All teams compete for something in the post season (minor prize for the consolation playoff winner...maybe the current 3rd place award). Top two...(teams that get the byes in each of the brackets) go to the Championship and Consolation Points Chases respectively. The remainder of the teams can go into separate consolation Points Chases for minor awards.

Greg, this is just an idea to get your creative juices flowing. I do not contend that it is perfect or even deeply considered. You have been on the lead with 3RR and KDS. Instinctively, you must know that there is a gap here regarding playoffs. You also know that can do both systems simultaneously...as demonstrated by the internal league contest when points and record are split.. Please put some additional work into estimating the money and the finer points that only an industry professional can understand in detail. The let us know an actual option. Not a comparison with systems from failed and lesser quality leagues, but a NFFC proposal vs a NFFC current system choice.

Thanks Greg! ....and thanks for "dime-ing" me out! Cheers!

Jodicus AKA Blue_Foot Jodicus, I'm not sure devaluing the regular season to allow 6 of 12 teams in a league playoff makes sense. Under that scenario, you'd need a 10-week regular season to do h2h with 6 teams in the playoffs. That doesn't sound like a fair contest. The original debate was whether an 11-week regular season with four teams going h2h in the playoffs was more fair than a 13-week regular season with no playoffs. I'll welcome that debate, but 6 teams in a league playoff? I don't think that makes sense, no matter who you set up the playoffs after 10, 11 or 13 weeks.

An idea like that is for teams that aren't dominant through the regular season and want that one last shot to still win it all. Again, I think it's my job to reward THE BEST TEAMS in each league. And that happens through 13 weeks of the regular season. It's not hard in our current format to see which teams deserve the top league prizes and very rarely in our setup do the 5th or 6th best teams take home the $5,000 league prizes. It can happen, but not as likely.

I'm all for continuing the discussion of playoffs vs. our current format. But a league playoff with 6 teams? I don't think it will happen here in any 12-team format.
[/QUOTE]i guess this is being considered now greg....funny how things change when others bring the same things up?

Greg Ambrosius

Playoff System Protest

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:25 am

I think you posted that already Andy. Again, the discussion now is about keeping the 13-week regular season intact and paying top two winners after Week 13. That wasn't the discussion previously by you. The new format --posted by KOQ but not created by KOQ -- makes much more sense and is much more doable than what was proposed before.

Again, the boards worked well to look at a better playoff format than we might have. I'm not sure why someone like you wouldn't like that.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

thegambler

Playoff System Protest

Post by thegambler » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:31 am

i love the discussion of having a playoff....obviously you and tom will make the final decision.

i just think that some people on these boards get dimissed because they are newbies ...."wcoff guys" and i am not talking about the playoff system i brought up.

see if people are open to discussing things then sometimes good things come from those discussions but when people, because they are new, are immediately shot down then those people have no say in anything.

you said you couldn't see a 6 team playoff anywhere in the nffc now all of the sudden you are all for it....funny how things change when brought up by different people.

here's your quote:

"I'm all for continuing the discussion of playoffs vs. our current format. But a league playoff with 6 teams? I don't think it will happen here in any 12-team format."

i guess when Blue_Foot brought this up it was brought up by the wrong person.... :confused:

[ November 30, 2011, 01:34 PM: Message edited by: thegambler ]

Greg Ambrosius

Playoff System Protest

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:44 am

Andy, NOBODY should be called WCOFF guys today. So stop begging for mercy there.

Yeah, that's the ticket. BlueFoot was the wrong guy. My bad. King of Queens saved the day. Happy now?

Time to move on and be part of the discussion going forward. Be productive and stop being a newbie. You're ALL IN with the NFFC now.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

thegambler

Playoff System Protest

Post by thegambler » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:45 am

yep you got it...time to move on.

Quahogs

Playoff System Protest

Post by Quahogs » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:56 am

"ALL HAIL TO THE KING !!!! '