Having input in draft slot selection

skipman

Post by skipman » Tue Sep 28, 2004 9:21 am

I guess this goes to show that even a blind squirel finds a nut now and then. I suggest that Greg go hurry and patent the idea before those pussies in that other league try to say that this is their idea and they own the intellectual property to it.

To respond to Cojones concern, I am assuming that teams that do not feild a winning bid are randomly assigned to the open draft positions.

ultimatefs

Post by ultimatefs » Tue Sep 28, 2004 9:22 am

Very creative idea, but built on totally false premises that assume some picks are more valuable than others. Every year, the best pick in the draft changes. And IMO, based *mostly* on key injuries.

Here's the TOP 30 after Week 3.

5 in Top 30 - (1)
4 in Top 30 - (8)
3 in Top 30 - (5,14)
2 in Top 30 - (2,3,4,6,9,12,13)
1 in Top 30 - (7)
0 in Top 30 - (10,11)

Last week #5 had zero in Top 30, now have 3.

The Top 10 average is 7.5
11-20 average is 6.3
21-30 average is 6.1

Top 30 average is 6.63

It does not matter where owners pick. The best owners will make the best picks. The worst owners will make the bad picks.

And I would venture to say that those at 10-11 made terrible choice picking weak #2 RB's when they could have had Culpepper or Manning.
Jules is a Dirt bag and makes my luck.

Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko » Tue Sep 28, 2004 9:25 am

Originally posted by skipman:
I guess this goes to show that even a blind squirel finds a nut now and then. a nut? this is the motherload of nuts. a truly revolutionary idea.

wow...i get an insult. not even a "well done" or a "good job". my ego can't take it...

[ September 28, 2004, 03:26 PM: Message edited by: Gordon Gekko ]
Is my "weekend warrior" prep better than your prep?

Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko » Tue Sep 28, 2004 9:28 am

Originally posted by UFS:
It does not matter where owners pick. The best owners will make the best picks. The worst owners will make the bad picks. Then you can have all your $1,000 FA to start the season along with the 14th pick. If you think you can win from anywhere, then you should love this idea.

JerseyPaul

Post by JerseyPaul » Tue Sep 28, 2004 9:35 am

Originally posted by UFS:
Very creative idea, but built on totally false premises that assume some picks are more valuable than others. Every year, the best pick in the draft changes. And IMO, based *mostly* on key injuries.....

It does not matter where owners pick. The best owners will make the best picks. The worst owners will make the bad picks.

And I would venture to say that those at 10-11 made terrible choice picking weak #2 RB's when they could have had Culpepper or Manning. If you are among those that truly believe post position doesn't count, then you can save all your FAAB dollars for the season and get the random position that is left. You will immediately have an advantage over everybody foolish enough to bid on a position and win it.

The neat thing about the idea is that it allows for any theory on the issue and allows you to put your money where your thoughts are.

Route Collectors

Post by Route Collectors » Tue Sep 28, 2004 9:52 am

Well said JP

Heres a thought in Gordons defense (My god I hope I'm not being slowly converted)

The #'s UFS posted are still only calculated on the first 3 weeks. They could be the same by years end but we don't know that yet.

The other thing left out of that calculation was:
More strategy = More fun!

nnoy

Post by nnoy » Tue Sep 28, 2004 9:55 am

Interesting concept but one that will never work for the NFFC: (1) It would be hard for the newbies and may scare some people out of the competition; and (2) it would open this thing up to collusion.

Draft position really varies in true value anyway. I for example would have been better off at any position 6-14. How many McAllister owners now wish they would have drafted with him already off the board? Probably all of us.

Try your idea in the Draft Champions league next year. That’s where the hardcore owners are anyway and any collusion would not impact the entire competition.

Route Collectors

Post by Route Collectors » Tue Sep 28, 2004 10:00 am

NNOY

I'd like to hear an example of how this opens up any possible collusion that couldn't currently exist.

Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko » Tue Sep 28, 2004 10:00 am

I can see how you a "director" would have a problem with this. heck you can't even pick the right QB from week to week.

Originally posted by nnoy:
Interesting concept but one that will never work for the NFFC: (1) It would be hard for the newbies Newbies have to use the blind bidding process for FA's. So this argument is rubbish. Worst case, they get stuck at the #13 or #14 spot, which they can randomly get with the current process. of course, a few examples of how this would work would need to be included on the website ahead of time.

Originally posted by nnoy:
it would open this thing up to collusion.Please explain the collusion aspect. I don't see any issues. Please make it good, as you are really losing credibility on the MB.

[ September 28, 2004, 04:03 PM: Message edited by: Gordon Gekko ]

fcphantom

Post by fcphantom » Tue Sep 28, 2004 10:08 am

This is pure genius. It puts more strategy in the owners' hands. Those who think that the drafting spot is important will get the spot they want. Those who don't care where they draft will get more FA money to work with.

Personally, I like drafting towards the middle of a draft so I'd probably spend a few dollars on slots 5-9.

As for how it's run, it should be just like the free agent pickups - the highest bid is processed first. If nobody bids on a specific spot(s) all remaining players are assigned randomly. Tie bids could be a problem though. I suppose it would have to be solved by a coin flip.

[ September 28, 2004, 04:12 PM: Message edited by: Rob K ]