2012 Thursday Games

RedRyder

2012 Thursday Games

Post by RedRyder » Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:10 am

Originally posted by Coltsfan:
Well said Paul.

If we do keep it on Fridays then the only thing that changes is that we have an additional burden of looking ahead to the game the following Thursday and making sure we have our options covered in case of an injury. If you have a kicker going the following Thursday and are worried about injuries then drop him and pick up a different kicker or else back him up. It just doesn't seem like it's that big of deal to me.

II can't argue that 2 WW periods isn't the most fair as it is very fair. It just ain't happening for me with the 20 leagues I was in last year.

Wayne Wayne, so if there are 2 WW periods you won't play?

If there is a Thursday only player WW you won't play?

I will think long and hard about whether to play here or not if there is a Friday only waiver wire.

Not really into carrying two kickers, nor am I into dropping a kicker that gives me double digit points just so I can cover a bye week if it falls on a Thursday. If it is a dime a dozen kicker, no problem :D

I also am not really into looking past the current week to try and fill a bye week kicker or DEF that might have their bye fall on a Thursday....THAT seems like way more work to me than having two waiver periods.

What really sucks is that Greg is in a tight spot, looks like he will lose customers no matter what he does...all because of STUPID Thursday Night games!
@RedRyder

Coltsfan

2012 Thursday Games

Post by Coltsfan » Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:37 am

Jules,

I didn't mean to imply that I won't play, I just meant that I can't do so many leagues. I probably spend way too much time on waivers but a typical week looks like this.

Monday night - search through waiver drops and make lists for each league.

Tuesday night - go through all available players for each league and put together lists of possible backup players that might get a start.

Wednesday - off night for waivers except for news. (I'm typically not home until about 8:30 on Wednesdays.

Thursday - put in waiver bids which was for 20 leagues last year. I would normally spend 3+ hours on Thursday evenings doing waivers.

Friday - I try to get home from work before 6 so that I can go through the news and adjust bids. It seems I spend another 1 - 1.5 hours on Fridays on waivers.

All in all I"m spending 6-7 hours working waivers during the first 10 weeks. That may be excessive but it's what I have been doing. If this is reduced to Tuesday night (as I"m not available on Wednesdays) then I just can't do very many leagues. I'm in regardless! I'll still do just as many DC leagues either way. There just aren't enough hours in the day to do it all.

One thing that would be nice either way was if waivers were open on Monday evenings so that we could start putting in pickups while watching the Monday night game. I could at least get my Defense and Kickers picks in during that time.

Wayne

kentucky

2012 Thursday Games

Post by kentucky » Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:43 am

It seems to me the BEST option, as previously stated, is to have FAAB for players playing in the Thursday night games only. Whether it runs Wed. night or Thursday evening shouldn't make that much difference. Most players will know Wednesday night if they're going to bid on somebody Wednesday evening. "Left Coasters" may have a slight disadvantage if it's Thursday evening, so just make it due late Wednesday night (for Thursday's game only). Run a different FAAB period on Friday for the weekend, with the stipulation a player that was picked up for the Thursday FAAB period, can't be dropped for the Friday FAAB.
bill cleavenger
"BIG BLUE NATION" ... We don't rebuild, we reload!!!

boutrous11

2012 Thursday Games

Post by boutrous11 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:09 am

how about having an extra roster spot that must be filled by a kicker.

RedRyder

2012 Thursday Games

Post by RedRyder » Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:17 am

Originally posted by Coltsfan:
Jules,

I didn't mean to imply that I won't play, I just meant that I can't do so many leagues. I probably spend way too much time on waivers but a typical week looks like this.

Monday night - search through waiver drops and make lists for each league.

Tuesday night - go through all available players for each league and put together lists of possible backup players that might get a start.

Wednesday - off night for waivers except for news. (I'm typically not home until about 8:30 on Wednesdays.

Thursday - put in waiver bids which was for 20 leagues last year. I would normally spend 3+ hours on Thursday evenings doing waivers.

Friday - I try to get home from work before 6 so that I can go through the news and adjust bids. It seems I spend another 1 - 1.5 hours on Fridays on waivers.

All in all I"m spending 6-7 hours working waivers during the first 10 weeks. That may be excessive but it's what I have been doing. If this is reduced to Tuesday night (as I"m not available on Wednesdays) then I just can't do very many leagues. I'm in regardless! I'll still do just as many DC leagues either way. There just aren't enough hours in the day to do it all.

One thing that would be nice either way was if waivers were open on Monday evenings so that we could start putting in pickups while watching the Monday night game. I could at least get my Defense and Kickers picks in during that time.

Wayne I hear ya!

Like the suggestion about waivers being open on Monday!!! It would help regardless if waives were Wed, Thurs or Fri.
@RedRyder

BLACKHAND

2012 Thursday Games

Post by BLACKHAND » Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:26 am

Originally posted by King of Queens:
quote:Originally posted by BillyWaz:
Any way you could make it that ONLY players in Thursday's game would be available to pick up on Wednesdays?

That way, it really isn't the burden (and I agree it is!) of 2 full FAAB periods. Actually would be obsolete on many weeks, but would cover those that need to be cover in case of unforeseen injury. This is what I originally suggested several months ago. To me, this is clearly the best option.
[/QUOTE]this is what i was saying would be the best. i also see how greg is in a hard situation here as some people are going to cut down leagues regardless of the outcome.
THIS IS THE BUSINESS WE HAVE CHOSEN

Greg Ambrosius

2012 Thursday Games

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:42 pm

Originally posted by RedRyder:
quote:Originally posted by Coltsfan:
Well said Paul.

If we do keep it on Fridays then the only thing that changes is that we have an additional burden of looking ahead to the game the following Thursday and making sure we have our options covered in case of an injury. If you have a kicker going the following Thursday and are worried about injuries then drop him and pick up a different kicker or else back him up. It just doesn't seem like it's that big of deal to me.

II can't argue that 2 WW periods isn't the most fair as it is very fair. It just ain't happening for me with the 20 leagues I was in last year.

Wayne Wayne, so if there are 2 WW periods you won't play?

If there is a Thursday only player WW you won't play?

I will think long and hard about whether to play here or not if there is a Friday only waiver wire.

Not really into carrying two kickers, nor am I into dropping a kicker that gives me double digit points just so I can cover a bye week if it falls on a Thursday. If it is a dime a dozen kicker, no problem :D

I also am not really into looking past the current week to try and fill a bye week kicker or DEF that might have their bye fall on a Thursday....THAT seems like way more work to me than having two waiver periods.

What really sucks is that Greg is in a tight spot, looks like he will lose customers no matter what he does...all because of STUPID Thursday Night games!
[/QUOTE]I really must admit that I'm surprised by the personal thoughts in this thread or even the concern about ME losing some customers. This decision isn't what's best for one person or another, this is a decision that is going to affect the contest for the rest of its existence, however long that is going to be.

The NFL has declared that THURSDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL IS HERE TO STAY!!! 16 straight weeks with every team appearing once. This is our new fantasy football season everyone and we need to come up with a plan that will last FOREVER. It doesn't matter how we used to play fantasy football; there's a new game in town and we need to figure out the best plan to deal with games on Thursday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday. Trust me, Saturday Night Football will be expanding soon, too.

So forget about ME or today's loyal customers. What plan makes the most sense for the NFFC game and for all of fantasy football? That's what we're deciding now.

I think I know the best answer for our contest, but I need to talk with our IT department on Monday about it. If we can do some of these things, that's likely the way I'll look into first. Doing just one FAAB has detractors for Wednesday, Thursday or Friday; heck some still want it on Saturday. So I'll look at what we can do technically and then look at all the scenarios before presenting a plan. I assume the other contests in the industry will do the same. We're all in the same boat, making a decision that will last a lifetime for our contests.

Thanks for the input. All good. And one of them likely is the one we have to choose.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

Greg Ambrosius

2012 Thursday Games

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:46 pm

Originally posted by THE_BLACKHAND:
quote:Originally posted by King of Queens:
quote:Originally posted by BillyWaz:
Any way you could make it that ONLY players in Thursday's game would be available to pick up on Wednesdays?

That way, it really isn't the burden (and I agree it is!) of 2 full FAAB periods. Actually would be obsolete on many weeks, but would cover those that need to be cover in case of unforeseen injury. This is what I originally suggested several months ago. To me, this is clearly the best option.
[/QUOTE]this is what i was saying would be the best. i also see how greg is in a hard situation here as some people are going to cut down leagues regardless of the outcome.
[/QUOTE]Frankie, I have customers in baseball who have 10 or more teams and they do FAAB every Sunday night with hundreds of MLB players on the free agent wire and their other eye on the minor-leagues. I understand the concern about free agency and I'd hate to lose one single team from any of our customers. But again, there's no turning back from the decision we're going to have to make. Thursday Night Football is here to stay. How do we deal with it going forward so that we all can still enjoy our favorite hobby? Nobody wants to lose a shot at those players going on Thursday Night, yet nobody wants two FAABs and nobody wants an early or a late or a Thursday FAAB!!! WOW. But somewhere inbetween is the answer. It has to be there because the NFL we used to know on Sundays has EXPANDED!! :D
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

alan824

2012 Thursday Games

Post by alan824 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:12 pm

Ok, let me add my 2 cents. I don't understand what is the big deal about not knowing the injury situation on Friday vs Wednesday. How many times have we had a situation where a player is questionable on Wednesday night and out by Friday night? A couple of times, maybe. So, if an owner has a kicker that is questionable on Wednesday, why wouldn't he pick one up then? I see more issues with doing the FAAB on Friday, having to consider Sundays games AND the following Thursday's games. What if a kicker is playing on Sunday, then on bye the following Thursday? If the FAAB is on Friday, you would have to pick up an extra kicker a week early. This and other situations are likely to happen just as often as a player ruled out on Friday, compared to being questionable on Wednesday, where you didn't address already in the Wednesday FAAB. .. I really think we are causing more issues having the FAAB on Friday, after the Thursday games. I vote for FAAB on Wednesday nights, before all of the games. If we aren't going to have two FAABs, then this is the best and only fair option.

[ February 04, 2012, 08:16 PM: Message edited by: AG ]

Jersey Dawg

2012 Thursday Games

Post by Jersey Dawg » Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:57 pm

Am I missing something here? I have seen many people say that a Wednesday night waiver ONLY for players playing in the Thurs game is a GOOD choice.... How is that a GOOD choice?

If my ONLY kicker plays Sunday and gets hurt and he is scheduled to play Thursday, tell me how I am going to replace him with a Thursday kicker if both kickers in the Thursday night game are on other teams already? And, even if one was available, my opponent could easily spend $50 FAAB to steal him from me.

I'm cool with Friday night only. I generally have 2 Kickers, TE's and QB's anyway.

Anyone in favor of "team kicker" for the Thursday games?

Pete