2012 Thursday Games

thegambler

2012 Thursday Games

Post by thegambler » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:35 am

i see some are against having two bidding periods.....but that would really solve all the problems. a little more work but it takes care of all the problems with what day to do it and what time etc....

i think the best would be have a fa period wednesday night just for the thursday game/players....not sure if that is possible....then have the usual bidding period on friday.

Coltsfan

2012 Thursday Games

Post by Coltsfan » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:07 am

If I was rating them.

1. Friday - you have the most information and works great for 30/32 teams.

2. Wednesday - you're basically guessing on injuries but everyone is in the same boat.

3. Thursday - WAY too short of window to pick up players and get them in the lineup before the game.

I agree with KOQ that the Thanksgiving games should be Wednesday.

Wayne

alanr824

2012 Thursday Games

Post by alanr824 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:28 am

Originally posted by Coltsfan:
If I was rating them.

2. Wednesday - you're basically guessing on injuries but everyone is in the same boat.

3. Thursday - WAY too short of window to pick up players and get them in the lineup before the game.

Wayne My ranking
Wednesday - Prior to all the games, every week. Enough info to pick up an injury replacement if needed, but everyone is on equal grounds

Thursday - Still prior to all of the games, but not a lot of time to set lineup for Thursday games

Friday - Although you have a better idea of injuries for the current week, its not cut and dry, while causing issues as to the following Thursday's games and having to prep for that game as well as the current weeks games. In addition, Friday night is just inconvenient to do FAAB for a lot of us.

Examples of Friday FAAB issues, what if your QB gets hurt on Sunday and the best available free agent QB is playing the following Thursday. You will not be able to pick him up. You would have to settle for someone playing the following Sunday (Sure, it would be great to have a good backup already, but as the season goes along, options become limited with injuries, etc.)
This situation is the same for every position

Many teams also mix and match kickers and defenses throughout the season, by picking up free agents in each position, based upon matchup. If the best matchup is the Thursday matchup, you would have to pick up that player or team the previous week.

To me, it just causes confusion and actually makes the free agent period for the sunday games and the following thursday games, instead of keeping everything week to week.

Just my take. Maybe I am looking too much into it. I just don't see the injury situation being that big of a deal. It is so rare for a player to get more injured on Thursday or Friday, than he already is. If he is hurt from Sunday's game, you are going to get a replacement for him, whether he is ruled out Thursday or ruled out Saturday.

I think the Wednesday FAAB causes less confusion and is much more convenient.

da bears

2012 Thursday Games

Post by da bears » Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:41 am

Originally posted by Coltsfan:
If I was rating them.

Wayne Agreed 100%. I definitely wouldn't want to see more than one waiver wire peroid and I still think friday makes the most sense except for Thanksgiving week.

Those friday inury updates and practice reports are a big deal.
Bauler Shot Caller

Cocktails and Dreams

2012 Thursday Games

Post by Cocktails and Dreams » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:09 am

The more I think about it, I think Thursday early afternoon is the way to go. 2 eastern leaves over 6 hours to get a lineup in from when they are run. Gives those that want news a little more of it. I would still prefer Wednesday personally but I think the best thing for the game in general is Thursday afternoon. It splits the difference between the two days people are wanting, and most important still is just one period and allows ALL players to be bid on before their game, which is also important.

renman

2012 Thursday Games

Post by renman » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:17 am

Originally posted by RedRyder:
I like Frank's idea of Wednesday pick-up only for players in the Thursday game. And that players dropped be locked until the next week.

I also like the idea of two waiver periods.
I am in this camp. I like the two waiver periods. Keep in mind, if the first waiver period is ONLY for players in the Thursday game there likely would be a number of times you would not be interested in any of those players so you wouldn't have to invest any time in a waiver period.

Cocktails and Dreams

2012 Thursday Games

Post by Cocktails and Dreams » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:24 am

Two waivers still requires doing all of the work twice during the week. Thursday bid values still need to be compared to the entire pool. Fine if that is what they go with, but like others have mentioned just a few big leagues only for me then. No onlines or any smaller ones. Just far too much work and far too time consuming.

I can understand why those that aren't insane like myself and have a normal amount of teams might want two though. So I guess that is the tough decision Greg and Tom have to make.

I really think people should consider in their minds a happy medium. Thursday afternoon, 6 or more hours in advance of the ballgame. That seems like more than enough time and give people at least part of another day with another days partial news and all players available at the same time and all players available, both of which are important I feel. What are the real negatives of this particular solution? I cannot really think of any.

renman

2012 Thursday Games

Post by renman » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:30 am

I understand there are a handful of people who can afford a large number of entries and teams and have 20+ teams to manage. It is pretty clear that faab rules designed for appeasing this group would differ from what would make sense for those who play in one or just a handful of leagues.

Greg made a great point. Thursday games are here to stay. We know the NFL will try to suck every last dollar they can out of this and primetime games provide more dollars. We have to come up with a faab process that makes the most sense and creates the fairest most fulfilling fantasy gaming experience for the long run going forward.

Cocktails and Dreams

2012 Thursday Games

Post by Cocktails and Dreams » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:38 am

How would they differ? I don't think a majority with few teams would want two waiver periods either. I know I sure wouldn't. I think some would, but not most. I would want it to be once on Thursday so I could bid on all players. As for getting it right for the future of the game, I agree 100 percent. Very important decision, which is why I will be very vocal about the solution for the good of the game.

Coltsfan

2012 Thursday Games

Post by Coltsfan » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:09 pm

Chad,

If I only had a 6 hour window between 1-7 central time to look at waiver and then submit a lineup for teams with pickups, I would be in a situation some weeks that I wouldn't be able to get to a computer to do it. Work interferes way too much with FF! :D I can't see Tom and Greg going with an option that didn't allow a bit more time to set lineups after the waivers run.

This really isn't going to be easy. It will be interesting to see if the two main contests follow suit or each do something different. Who will be the first to announce....

Wayne