Week 1 Thoughts & Observations

DonnyG.

Re: Week 1 Thoughts & Observations

Post by DonnyG. » Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:33 am

You do know that after 3 quarters alex smith passed for more yards and td's than aaron rodgers did right? 8-)

mattjb

Post by mattjb » Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:37 am

DonnyG. wrote:You do know that after 3 quarters alex smith passed for more yards and td's than aaron rodgers did right? 8-)
Imagine what Rodgers would do if he could play against his own defense...

No wonder he is so confident after practicing against them all week.

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:58 am

mattjb wrote:
DonnyG. wrote:You do know that after 3 quarters alex smith passed for more yards and td's than aaron rodgers did right? 8-)
Imagine what Rodgers would do if he could play against his own defense...
This.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

Ry's Guys

Post by Ry's Guys » Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:55 am

Do you know how many quarters a NFL game is? That is like saying take that 88 yard TD away from Garcon and he didn't do anything. All of the stats count for all of the quarters.

Alex Smith has had countless chances to prove he was worthy of being the first player taken in a draft. He was not. He is a game manager at best.
Pat Sorge

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:01 am

Ry's Guys wrote: Alex Smith has had countless chances to prove he was worthy of being the first player taken in a draft. He was not. He is a game manager at best.
Yup. And the fact he outplayed Aaron Rodgers (which he did) on a day when Rodgers was at his worst or close to it, isn't what I would consider to be a ringing endorsement for Smith's ability.
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich

BigBlueNation

Post by BigBlueNation » Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:49 am

I compare Alex Smith to Roethlisberger...Game managers...Smith hasn't had any consistency with the coaching, OC's and WR's in his tenure at SF. His best receiver has been VDavis and he went thru some knucklehead situations as a pro. Harbaugh will and has made Smith a better QB. He has put stability in the organization. BTW, game managers can win SB's.
Bill Cleavenger
UK Wildcats...We don't rebuild, we "RELOAD"

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:00 am

Bill, I think Roethlisberger is much more talented than Smith but I realize that's just personal opinion. No question game managers can win Super Bowls and I think Smith could do it this season. The Niners are that good. But I'm still leery of picking him to come out ahead in a matchup against a team with a good offense and good defense. It's games like that which often come down to QB play and while Smith showed me a lot in beating the Saints in the playoffs last season I still don't think he has the big-time talent to win a lot of big games on his own.
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich

mattjb

Post by mattjb » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:11 am

BigBlueNation wrote:I compare Alex Smith to Roethlisberger...Game managers...Smith hasn't had any consistency with the coaching, OC's and WR's in his tenure at SF. His best receiver has been VDavis and he went thru some knucklehead situations as a pro. Harbaugh will and has made Smith a better QB. He has put stability in the organization. BTW, game managers can win SB's.
That's very harsh on Ben.

BigBlueNation

Post by BigBlueNation » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:16 am

Tom, I know what you're saying, but the Steelers have always been built on coaching, defense, a running game, and decent WR's. The Niners are headed in the same direction. Smith will never put up the numbers Rodgers, Brady, or Brees has, but he won't need to. From a fantasy standpoint, he will be a good QB2 and may eventually become a lowend QB1. If he had Calvin, don't you think his stock would rise? Look what Marshall is going to do for Cutler this year. Aren't Smith and Cutler comparable?
Bill Cleavenger

BigBlueNation

Post by BigBlueNation » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:17 am

mattjb wrote:
BigBlueNation wrote:I compare Alex Smith to Roethlisberger...Game managers...Smith hasn't had any consistency with the coaching, OC's and WR's in his tenure at SF. His best receiver has been VDavis and he went thru some knucklehead situations as a pro. Harbaugh will and has made Smith a better QB. He has put stability in the organization. BTW, game managers can win SB's.
That's very harsh on Ben.
Yeah Matt, and I'm a Steeler fan
Bill Cleavenger