Dare to speak against New England

Diesel

Re: Dare to speak against New England

Post by Diesel » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:13 am

Coach, you're set on making your point. I'm set on my one question. How's that working out for them? I'm seeing the point that the Pats don't want or have the money to pay Welker. Are you seeing my point that what they are doing with Welker is not working for them?

If Tom is right, then there is a method to their madness. But I see what I see. And this ain't working for them. Or Welker.
*Ranked #1 Average Fantasy Football Player in the Nation 2004-2013

"Fantasy sports are all about LUCK. Except when I win."

Sandman62

Post by Sandman62 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:23 am

If Hernandez didn't get hurt yesterday, I suspect we'd have seen another day of the beginning of Welker's end.

Did I miss your response when asked how many teams you have Welker on?

Diesel

Post by Diesel » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:37 am

I drafted 14 times this summer and drafted him one time.

Coach JP

Post by Coach JP » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:42 am

Diesel wrote:Coach, you're set on making your point. I'm set on my one question. How's that working out for them? I'm seeing the point that the Pats don't want or have the money to pay Welker. Are you seeing my point that what they are doing with Welker is not working for them?

If Tom is right, then there is a method to their madness. But I see what I see. And this ain't working for them. Or Welker.
Well it's two games into the season, so who knows. Last week their offense was dominant without Welker and they were on cruise control.

This week, they couldn't move the ball with Welker in the lineup and without Aaron Hernandez.

In pure blanket form, so far the case is that the Patriots are doing the right thing, and that Hernandez is more important. That said, it's obviously only been two games so who knows how it would've gone had Hernandez not gotten hurt.

I really don't think Welker is as dominant as you do -- he only caught 5 of his 11 targets, had a couple of drops and just isn't the same player he used to be. This coming from the guy who has watched him his entire time in New England. I certainly don't like the idea of Edelman playing more than Welker (I hate Edelman), but if he's a better fit for the scheme and the offense moves the ball I'll shut up and let the coaches do their thing.

particra

Post by particra » Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:49 pm

I think the Welker phase out has as much to do with the recommitment to the running game as anything else. The NE offense is changing. Welker was the equivalent of their running the game the last few years. His average route was less than 7 yards out. Combined with the presence of a legit deep threat and two tight ends, there's little need for 4 yard slants to Welker. Gronk/Hernandez can fill that role more effectively in terms of YAC and just being bigger targets (both of whom were NE deeps threat last year).

Diesel

Post by Diesel » Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:54 pm

If you guys were the general manager of the Patriots, would you trade Welker now? What would you hope to get for him in return to help this Patriots team? Or would you just keep him playing the role he's got until his contract is over after this season?

The Franchise

Post by The Franchise » Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:35 pm

Diesel wrote:If you guys were the general manager of the Patriots, would you trade Welker now? What would you hope to get for him in return to help this Patriots team? Or would you just keep him playing the role he's got until his contract is over after this season?

If I don't plan on signing him long term (which I assume they don't) and I don't want to Franchise him again next year (which I assume they wouldn't) then yes, I would trade him while his value is high and get a 2nd rd pick for him. Only weakness this team has is O-line. Solder lacks confidence right now and the unit as a whole needs time to gel. Don't see too many trades of WR for a tackle or guard so I would take the pick.
Winning isn't everything, but the will to win is.

TR

Post by TR » Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:15 pm

Diesel wrote:If you guys were the general manager of the Patriots, would you trade Welker now? What would you hope to get for him in return to help this Patriots team? Or would you just keep him playing the role he's got until his contract is over after this season?
Ship welker back to miami

Diesel

Post by Diesel » Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:05 pm

Bills coach Chan Gailey acknowledged that his team had no answer for Wes Welker in Week 4 and has not had an answer for Welker throughout Gailey's tenure in Buffalo.
Welker is incredibly quick and instinctive in the slot, and he ran circles around whomever the Bills trotted out to "cover" him en route to 129 yards on nine catches. "To be honest with you I don’t believe we’ve had a guy in the three years I’ve been here that can cover that guy one-on-one for an entire ball game," said Gailey. "He can get open. That’s why he made the Pro Bowl so many years." In fact, Gailey went as far as to say, "I read an article on the NFFC Messageboards from Diesel saying how Welker was being under utilized, and the Patriots would be better off in 2012 if they tucked their tails between their legs and went back to Welker as a focal point in their offense, they'd start winning games again. Man, that guy Diesel knows what he's talking about."

TR

Post by TR » Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:29 pm

Diesel wrote:Bills coach Chan Gailey acknowledged that his team had no answer for Wes Welker in Week 4 and has not had an answer for Welker throughout Gailey's tenure in Buffalo.
Welker is incredibly quick and instinctive in the slot, and he ran circles around whomever the Bills trotted out to "cover" him en route to 129 yards on nine catches. "To be honest with you I don’t believe we’ve had a guy in the three years I’ve been here that can cover that guy one-on-one for an entire ball game," said Gailey. "He can get open. That’s why he made the Pro Bowl so many years." In fact, Gailey went as far as to say, "I read an article on the NFFC Messageboards from Diesel saying how Welker was being under utilized, and the Patriots would be better off in 2012 if they tucked their tails between their legs and went back to Welker as a focal point in their offense, they'd start winning games again. Man, that guy Diesel knows what he's talking about."
Ike Taylor had no problem shutting down welker last year....pretty bad that Gailey has been in welker's division a few years and has spent some 1st rd picks and cornerbacks, yet still has no idea how to cover welker. Ike Taylor was physical with him off the line and pretty much shadowed him the game and did excellent job..he took on the challenge...doesn't say much about Gailey reading this admission.