Phillip Rivers Implosion

CALI CARTEL

Re: Phillip Rivers Implosion

Post by CALI CARTEL » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:17 am

I'm from San Diego and have been a Charger fan for a while, but there's not one person in San Diego who's watched this team play under Norv Turner that is shocked at the outcome last night. At 24-14, I said to my friends, "Denver wins by double digits" -- kinda tongue-in-cheek, I did expect Denver to win at that point, but figured we were looking at 28-24 or 28-27, but I wasn't surprised at all it ended up an 11-point game.

And Rivers' first half was a fraud anyways, they had 1 good drive that ended in the 2nd Gates TD, but the other 17 points were nearly 0% produced by the offense -- the FG was after the muffed punt, then the first Gates TD occurred after the fumbled kickoff -- they got the ball inside the 20 on both "drives" if you can even call them drives (a 3-and-out FG and a 15-yard TD to Gates who did 99% of the work getting from the 3 to into the end zone). The other 7 points came on the lucky ass INT where Matt Willis pulled a Dez Bryant and called for a check on the route, then ran his normal route for the easy Pick Six by Jammer.

particra

Post by particra » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:24 am

I think the argument for further penalizing interceptions is that the NFFC scoring system awards 6 pts for TDs, which is generally 2 pts more than any other league. Seems fair that a good way to hedge this is by going -2 for interceptions.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:36 am

particra wrote:I think the argument for further penalizing interceptions is that the NFFC scoring system awards 6 pts for TDs, which is generally 2 pts more than any other league. Seems fair that a good way to hedge this is by going -2 for interceptions.
Agreed and we can approach this idea again. A -2 for a lost fumble is probably more damaging to an RB, who now needs 20 yards rushing to overcome that one miscue, but -2 for an INT when we offer 6 points per passing touchdown is a worthy discussion. Again, we did survey our members last year and that was not a rule change that was in the majority, but we can certainly ask again this year. It's a worthy request, rather than a sliding scale for turnovers.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

King of Queens

Post by King of Queens » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:57 am

Still say that Frank had the best idea:

3+ INT = zero points for your QB

Throw in an automatic loss for good measure! :twisted:

Ry's Guys

Post by Ry's Guys » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:57 pm

I wouldn't mind the -2 for INT's AND fumbles lost. Seeing as we give the defense +2 for every turnover it seems like the natural number on the negative side too. Also as someone pointed out the scoring system does reward a passing TD to be worth 6 points.
One thing I do have as long as we're talking scoring for QB's is at the end of the game when the QB's team is icing the game why oh why do they have to be penalized for minus rushing yards on a kneel down. I'm going to petition the NFL to change those yards to a different category. It would be like penalizing the PR for a fair catch and taking their average yards per return down. STUPID!!!
Pat Sorge

kingraiders

Post by kingraiders » Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:01 pm

I'm in a league that is a 6 pt TD league for QBs, but punishes you pretty bad on a pick 6, with I believe a -6. Kind of a silly thing, but it does seem ridiculous for decent FF points by a QB that craps the bed as badly as Rivers did last night.

On another note, funny how for the most part in the national media/mainstream Rivers and Romo in comparison gets a bit of a pass in comparison to Cutler, who very quietly is now 9-1 in his last 10 starts. :roll:

I think SD gets what they deserve, Norv should've been canned each of last 2 years.

DonnyG.

Post by DonnyG. » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:46 pm

Norv Turner is, and has been, the worst HC of all 32 in the NFL for many years now, hands down.

JETS SB

Post by JETS SB » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:26 pm

DonnyG. wrote:Norv Turner is, and has been, the worst HC of all 32 in the NFL for many years now, hands down.
I agree, but last time I checked, Norv Turner didn't throw 4 ints and fumble the ball twice, in the 2nd half. Phillip Rivers is not a big time QB and if Norv has done one thing horribly, it is putting too much trust in his mediocre QB.