I'm confused.....

Cocktails and Dreams

Re: I'm confused.....

Post by Cocktails and Dreams » Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:45 am

It appears to be a dumb rule on the surface for sure. And it appears to be a dumb rule in reality as well. Obviously Schwartz screwed the pooch mangling the rule. That has absolutely nothing to do with the rule being a good one or not.

JETS SB

Post by JETS SB » Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:04 am

Personally I think one part of the rule is good and one part isn't. I agree that the head coach should get a penalty for throwing the red flag in a situation like that. If you don't have that rule, then it will get out of control with throwing the flag in every situation the head coach feels appropriate. There has to be some rule instituted for this. The part that I disagree with is, even though he did throw the challenge flag, the penalty should be enough punishment. They should still review the play and get it right, since it was a scoring play.

Cocktails and Dreams

Post by Cocktails and Dreams » Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:33 am

That makes sense.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:24 am

JETS SB wrote:Personally I think one part of the rule is good and one part isn't. I agree that the head coach should get a penalty for throwing the red flag in a situation like that. If you don't have that rule, then it will get out of control with throwing the flag in every situation the head coach feels appropriate. There has to be some rule instituted for this. The part that I disagree with is, even though he did throw the challenge flag, the penalty should be enough punishment. They should still review the play and get it right, since it was a scoring play.
Finally, some common sense. This makes too much sense for the NFL to implement it.

It's hard to believe that the NFL could be so innovative as to use replay to get calls right, yet have a rule in place that allows a wrong call to still go forward. I mean, how dumb is that? Like you said, then have the scoring play ruled as intended and penalize the team for delaying the game with the red flag. BUT STILL, GET THE CALL RIGHT!!

Touchdown is overturned and the Lions are penalized 15 yards from where his knee hit the ground. First down and it's still 24-14.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

Cocktails and Dreams

Post by Cocktails and Dreams » Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:31 am

I think it should simply be a lost challenge and a time out that goes with it. Impacts ability to challenge rest of game potentially. If out of challenges and it is thrown then I am okay with the rule as it is. It should be severe then. Possibly a delay of game penalty makes sense also instead.

Captain Hook

Post by Captain Hook » Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:32 am

True wiljro

and it will be changed for next year so they CAN get plays right - maybe they will just punish Schwartz and the other dumb coaches MORE but as Peter King said after the game (and nobody has connections like that guy) the rule WILL be changed.

Money

Post by Money » Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:40 am

It will be changed, it has to be changed.

I wonder how much more lively this thread would've been had it been Foster with the run instead of Forsett? In reality it probably took away an opportunity from Foster as Houston no longer had the ball and he didn't figure into that drive.
Joe