OLC PLAYOFF TEAMS.

Sandman62

Re: OLC PLAYOFF TEAMS.

Post by Sandman62 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:16 am

Coach JP wrote:It would be nice to have more teams compete for the league title, only two is very tough and eliminates a lot of competition.

Do the standard top 15% for the big playoffs, and then have the top two points/top two W/L like the guy was saying compete for the league title over the course of the next three weeks.
Exactly! League playoffs have 4 teams competing, just like a Satellite league. Overall playoffs have same # of teams as now (to keep the lottery feeling from increasing).

This would keep interest and competition up within the leagues and still not disturb overall playoffs. Seems like a win/win?

I had brought up a couple weeks ago too:
http://nffcforums.stats.com/viewtopic.p ... ff#p180402

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:28 am

I like the idea the Coach JP presented....

4 teams get in LEAGUE PLAYOFFS (keep the championship the way it is now)

$500 for H2H
$500 for total points (and I imagine if you sweep, you get $1000?)

I then would suggest something like a $750/$350 split for 1st and 2nd place over the 3 weeks.

That means someone could win a possible $1750.....I LIKE IT!! :D

If MARKETED CORRECTLY, the NFFC Online with the fairest way to determine a league champion of any contest out there could be KING! :D

A lot of disgruntled players in the other online contest due to the lucky H2H format that the playoffs are based on.

Strike while the iron is hot!!!! :D (which means DO NOT WAIT TILL AFTER BASEBALL!!!!!! :evil: ) .... ;)

mattjb

Post by mattjb » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:53 am

The trouble is people are really interested at this price point at the shot at the big money imo.

How about this for an idea...

Allow 3 (or even 4) teams in to the main play-offs. Then in week 1 of the play-offs introduce the cut line that some of you have mentioned you enjoyed from another contest. Taking the weekly average forward would be meaningful in a one week contest and the lower teams would have to have a great week to stay in. If you had 3 teams, so 468 this season. only the top 200 make it past the first week of the play-offs. Then the next week only the top 100 survive. The final week of the play-offs the top 100 fight it out for the grand prize.

thoughts?

mattjb

Post by mattjb » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:54 am

By the way I would not allocate any league money to any additional places in the above scenario.

bockman1

Post by bockman1 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:53 am

Coach JP wrote:It would be nice to have more teams compete for the league title, only two is very tough and eliminates a lot of competition.

Do the standard top 15% for the big playoffs, and then have the top two points/top two W/L like the guy was saying compete for the league title over the course of the next three weeks.

$500 for regular season top points
$500 for regular season top W/L
$1100 battle between four teams, not two, for weeks 14-16

I'd be more inclined to buy three online teams if it meant I had a 33% chance in each league to make the playoffs and compete for the money. Two spots is too tight.

I like this suggestion to, 2 teams is really tough. In my league going into the final week 5 teams are 8 and 4 and tied for first. Reward the top 2 right off and let the top 4 battle it out for a chance at some money. I would be inclined to add a team or 2 under this format.
when you figure out there is no way to figure it out your almost there

Sandman62

Post by Sandman62 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:28 pm

Consider structuring the league playoffs and prizes (for Online, Primetime and Classic leagues) to be more like Satellite, Diamond/Ultimate/Super and even home leagues, and still leave the Overall Championship qualifier determination intact. Though I understand the need to declare a limited number of teams to participate in the Overall Championship, why must this also restrict the number of teams eligible to compete in the league playoffs (to just 2)? The two interests - limited number of Overall Championship participants and increased league playoff participants - don't seem to have to be mutually exclusive.

Currently (after 13-week regular season):
- H2H champ and top 2 teams in points each receive $500
* Total regular season prizes = $1500
- Only the H2H champ and the team 1st in points compete in playoffs for remaining $1100
* Total playoff prizes = $1100
*** Total league prizes = $2600, with League Champion winning $1600, 2nd place $500, 3rd $500

Proposed (after 13-week regular season):
- H2H champ and team 1st in points each receive $300
- Team 2nd in points receives $200
- Team 3rd in points receives $100
* Total regular season prizes = $900 (and all 4 teams get something for making playoffs instead of the same $0 as non-playoff teams)
- All four of these teams compete in league playoffs for remaining $1600: 1st = $1100, 2nd = $500
* Total playoff prizes = $1600
* League Consolation Round winner receives $100 [see below]
*** Total league prizes = $2600, with League Champion winning $1200-1400, 2nd place $600-800, 3rd $100-300, 4th $100-300

League Consolation Round:
As an incentive for teams to not quit during the season, why not have a League Consolation Round? You could also consider adding a rule that "In order to participate, a team must not have left in their lineup more than once throughout the season a player on bye or known to be injured ('known' = was already out the week before?)." In the Diamond League, the Consolation Round winner receives $2000, or 20% of their entry fee; so in an Online, 20% of $350 = $70, so round up to $75, or $100?

I know some of these suggestions may seem radical, but I'm just trying to offer ideas to balance the individual league competitive interest and rewards with the overall championship.

CALI CARTEL

Post by CALI CARTEL » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:04 pm

What is the point of doing well the first 11-13 weeks, if all I have to do is finish 4th in my league then get hot late?

This best thing about this league is what College Football has been trying to protect for years...THE REGULAR SEASON IS IMPORTANT.

If you want to finish 4th or 6th out of 12 and have a shot to win your money back, go play in a home league for $50 with your friends. I think even taking 3 teams to the playoffs is too many in this format, but am ok with the Top 15% qualifier rule for stacked leagues -- but in no way would I be up for adding more teams to the OL Playoff format, might as well just scrap the whole league format all together if you give 4 teams a shot at the playoffs out of every 12 teams; just let everyone in the playoffs from Week 1 and go from there.

ForLoveOfTheGame

Post by ForLoveOfTheGame » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:34 pm

Couldn't agree more Cali. If you finished 4th you don't deserve to play for any money, sorry. I'm scared fantasy football is going to reflect real life soon, every place is going to need to get something! This is HIGH STAKES fantasy football, the best of the best, lets keep it that way

Sandman62

Post by Sandman62 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:44 pm

I don't think "4th in regular season" is at all like "letting every team in". Have you ever played in a Satellite or Diamond/Ultimate/Super - which all let 4 teams into playoffs to compete for the big money? Would you suggest that those are no more competitive than home leagues?

I think you're confusing the goal of minimizing the number of teams that get into the overall lottery playoffs with the individual league playoffs. If we didn't have the overall aspect, I strongly suspect that there would be FOUR playoff teams - just like other NFFC individual leagues.

CALI CARTEL

Post by CALI CARTEL » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:04 pm

Sandman62 wrote:I don't think "4th in regular season" is at all like "letting every team in". Have you ever played in a Satellite or Diamond/Ultimate/Super - which all let 4 teams into playoffs to compete for the big money? Would you suggest that those are no more competitive than home leagues?

I think you're confusing the goal of minimizing the number of teams that get into the overall lottery playoffs with the individual league playoffs. If we didn't have the overall aspect, I strongly suspect that there would be FOUR playoff teams - just like other NFFC individual leagues.
In the individual leagues it's fine, but in a format with an Overall Championship during the last 3 weeks, the league needs to wrap up by Week 13 and should reward those first 13 weeks, not just someone who's decent during the first 11 weeks, then runs off 2 upsets to win the league from the 4th qualifier spot.

As long as no more than 2 teams make the playoffs from each OL, aside from a 3rd points qualifier, I really don't care what you do Week 12 & 13 -- a 4-team playoff might be kinda fun, but I don't think it's something the league "needs" to improve at all. The 4th place team out of 12 should be lucky to still be alive late, they shouldn't have a shot at league money through a playoff or any other method..