Suggestions For 2013 NFFC Classic

particra

Re: Suggestions For 2013 NFFC Classic

Post by particra » Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:37 am

Using 4 teams lets too many teams in for me.

I would just move the WC cut line. Make it 20%. If you can't finish in the top 20% in points, I'm not sure you really have an argument that you deserve anything.

Sandman62

Post by Sandman62 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:53 am

The problem with the 15% (or 20%) overall cutline though is that the degree of difficulty to surpass that line varies by what league we're in. That's why I suggested determining the cutline per league. If the points leaders who make the playoffs do so based on being #1 or #2 in points in their league, and we're trying to find ways to not leave bubble teams out, shouldn't it be based on how close bubble teams were to making THEIR LEAGUE'S cutline? :?

particra

Post by particra » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:12 am

Sandman62 wrote:The problem with the 15% (or 20%) overall cutline though is that the degree of difficulty to surpass that line varies by what league we're in. That's why I suggested determining the cutline per league. If the points leaders who make the playoffs do so based on being #1 or #2 in points in their league, and we're trying to find ways to not leave bubble teams out, shouldn't it be based on how close bubble teams were to making THEIR LEAGUE'S cutline? :?

That strikes me as even more unfair. It assumes that a tighter distribution of points in a league is an indicator of a more difficult league. There is no basis for that assumption because (a) there is not a finite number of points and (b) it inherently awards leagues with tighter distributions, which usually means fewer points. So if I'm Team A and I have 1820 points but I'm stuck in a league with Jared and Jupinka who both blow past 1900 points, i'm screwed. But Team B has 1795 points and gets in the championship round because there's no elite teams in the league. That might be because it's an evenly matched league. It also might be because it's filled with idiots.

particra

Post by particra » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:28 am

I really think this is almost an impossible problem to crack under the format.

The one thing I can say with certainty is that that leagues with more total points are better, more difficult leagues. That seems indisputable. If you were looking for a way to adjust for league difficulty, you could have a two-pronged WC qualification:

1.) Top 15% (or 20%) in total points.
2.) Top 15% (or 20%) in total points with a league difficult modifier.

The league difficulty modifier would take your total points and multiply it by the percentage lower or higher your league finished as compared to average total points of each league the contest.

So, if the average total points of Classic Leagues is 10,000 (easy math) and your league scored 11,000, you would multiply your total points by 110%. If your league scored 9,000, you would multiply your league by 90%. And so on. You rerank based on the modifier and use the WC cutoff a second time.

It's not perfect - you're potentially rewarding/punishing people for things they can't control - but still keeping the total points WC helps alleviate that concern.

Sandman62

Post by Sandman62 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:43 am

particra wrote:
Sandman62 wrote:The problem with the 15% (or 20%) overall cutline though is that the degree of difficulty to surpass that line varies by what league we're in. That's why I suggested determining the cutline per league. If the points leaders who make the playoffs do so based on being #1 or #2 in points in their league, and we're trying to find ways to not leave bubble teams out, shouldn't it be based on how close bubble teams were to making THEIR LEAGUE'S cutline? :?
That strikes me as even more unfair. It assumes that a tighter distribution of points in a league is an indicator of a more difficult league. There is no basis for that assumption because (a) there is not a finite number of points and (b) it inherently awards leagues with tighter distributions, which usually means fewer points. So if I'm Team A and I have 1820 points but I'm stuck in a league with Jared and Jupinka who both blow past 1900 points, i'm screwed. But Team B has 1795 points and gets in the championship round because there's no elite teams in the league. That might be because it's an evenly matched league. It also might be because it's filled with idiots.
I'm only talking about the distribution around the 2nd/3rd highest scorer cutlines. I thought we were trying to help "bubble" teams (those close to this line) not be left out? Heck, if this concept is so far-fetched, then why do we let ANY teams into the playoffs based on their points ranking within their leagues instead of just "the top x of the overall number of teams"? :?

JETS SB

Post by JETS SB » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:07 am

Greg wants to know how the classic can grow in the future, since it has declined over the past few years. Whether people like it or not, its a proven FACT that growing the amount of teams that would be eligible for the playoffs is the answer. When MLB and the NFL expanded the playoff structure, there was a LOT of opposition, but both of these industries grew because of this. I am not sure how many ways I can illustrate this, but the 15% wildcard isn't the answer (zero teams eligible this year) and increasing it to 20 would have only allowed a handful of teams. I personally believe there is enough support on growing the playoffs in the classic to 4 teams in, that would warrant a vote on the survey. I personally would not have benefited from this change this year, but I can tell you that it will be a way to grow the contest and I thought that was what we wanted to accomplish. If I were the 43rd ranked team out of 252 teams and didn't make it into the playoffs, I wouldn't be signing up for the classic next year. At the very least, we need to keep our current customers happy, then grow from there. Like it or not, more teams qualifying will grow the contest. PERIOD.

Old School

Post by Old School » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:48 am

Jets SB is correct. If you have the best record (tied) in the league you can miss the playoffs entirely. If H2H is used it should actually mean something more. Adding a 4th playoff spot based on the H2H would make it level with points.
Otherwise get rid of the H2H all together. It did affect me yes, admittedly, in my classic. Started out slow in points but had been making up points and finished a few points short, tied for best record after losing by .2 of one point week 12.
The two most dominant teams I have missed the playoffs oddly in the classic and OC. That is why I do like the 13 week season though here at NFFC. At least you can make up early deficits

The Franchise

Post by The Franchise » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:07 am

This would work for the Classic also that I posted on another thread.................

One setup that I have always thought could work that I'm not sure if it was mentioned, so apologize in advance if I'm repeating someone's idea.

Overall Contests (Going to Use Prime Time as example)

After 13 Weeks:
#1 Seed - Most Points - $1500
#2 Seed - Best Head to Head - $1500
#3 Seed - Next Most Points
#4 Seed - Next Best Head to Head

League Champion - $4500
Runner-Up - $2000

All 4 teams make the "League Playoffs" which runs through week 16. All 4 teams will take their 13 week Avg into the 3 week race where the team with the most points is the League Champion and the runner up gets 2nd place. The Top 3 seeds will also move on to the "Overall Race" for $150,000. The #4 Seed who got into the league playoffs is not eligible to make the overall (unless he was in top X % in overall points), but does have a shot at the league prize.

The key points to take away from this is that the League playoffs extend through week 16 rather than ending in week 13 and that 4 teams have a shot at it. I do believe that there should be a reward after 13 weeks to the teams that finished with most points and best head to head record. That would be getting their money back. Then they go into a 3 week All Points race to determine the top 2 spots in the league. I believe that there is no reason why the league season/playoffs should end in week 11 or 13. Why not have it just go right till the end in week 16. I also believe there should be a 4th team involved in the league playoffs, but not in the Overall contest. The teams with the most points after 13 weeks are the ones technically that should get rewarded for that, but that 4th team (which is a team that had the next best head to head record after the top 3) still gets a shot at being "League Champion" and walking away with $4500 if he can outscore the other 3 teams. Why 2 record teams making the Playoffs you ask? Because we play the whole season head to head and there should be something said for that, but it doesn't necessarily mean that team deserves a birth in the Overall race. This setup would have a little bit of a Diamond/Satellite league feel to it, but still be an Overall contest league and I think we get a truer picture of who the top teams are after 16 weeks not any sooner.
Winning isn't everything, but the will to win is.

Sandman62

Post by Sandman62 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:11 pm

Old School wrote:Jets SB is correct. If you have the best record (tied) in the league you can miss the playoffs entirely. If H2H is used it should actually mean something more. Adding a 4th playoff spot based on the H2H would make it level with points.
It happened to me in Classic two years ago... 10-3 but 4th in points, missed 3rd by 7.8. :cry:

Sandman62

Post by Sandman62 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:19 pm

The Franchise wrote:After 13 Weeks:
#1 Seed - Most Points - $1500
#2 Seed - Best Head to Head - $1500
#3 Seed - Next Most Points
#4 Seed - Next Best Head to Head

League Champion - $4500
Runner-Up - $2000

All 4 teams make the "League Playoffs" which runs through week 16. All 4 teams will take their 13 week Avg into the 3 week race where the team with the most points is the League Champion and the runner up gets 2nd place. The Top 3 seeds will also move on to the "Overall Race" for $150,000. The #4 Seed who got into the league playoffs is not eligible to make the overall (unless he was in top X % in overall points), but does have a shot at the league prize.
Of course, then we'll have another lively debate about letting TWO teams in who scored a lot less than others... in this case 11th and 12th and why a 9-point difference between two very low scoring teams lets one into the overall and not the other! :shock:

Classic New York Sept. 8 1 pm ET League
NFFC W L T PTS

DIESEL - x (1) 9 4 0 1629.3
Incredible Hulking Us NY - y (2) 8 5 0 1908.5
Jizzele - y (3) 6 7 0 1869.95
Air Lar 9 4 0 1620
America's Team 8 5 0 1787.55
Circle the Birds 8 5 0 1734.95
Gang Green 8 5 0 1725.2
One Time Baby 8 5 0 1705
Round 2 6 7 0 1708.6
Sandman 6 7 0 1673.75