Is H2H Really The Bastion Of Fantasy Football?

Greg Ambrosius

Re: Is H2H Really The Bastion Of Fantasy Football?

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:48 am

KJ, you're starting to see only the things you want to see now.

H2H was NOT a farce for 98.5% of our customers. In fact, H2H proved to be very important for EVERY team as the majority of owners still had a shot at that instant payday well into the season. Here's the facts I posted above:

30 of 35 Primetime leagues (85.7%) still had H2H league titles up for grabs after Week 11
28 of 35 Primetime leagues (80%) still had H2H league titles up for grabs after Week 12
All 18 Classic leagues still had H2H league titles up for grabs after Week 11
15 of 18 Classic leagues (83.33%) still had H2H league titles up for grabs after Week 12

The fact that the H2H teams were among the leaders in total points doesn't make the setup a FARCE. It validates that the H2H winners are also the highest scoring teams, which they should be. Ask Glenn Lowy and KOQ if Victory Points was fair in a competitive $5,000 league and you'll see that no setup is perfect.

In fact, let's go back to your Diamond League, which has you all up in arms. This year you and Paul Clein were battling for the H2H title and $10,000. Your team started slow and came on strong, finishing 10-3. Paul's team finished 11-2 and was behind you in points, so he won $10,000. H2H kept everyone interested until the final game of the season. But here's another note about this very, very tough NFFC Diamond League -- which everyone knows is going to be tough and close and competitive going in: Drew Brees totally changed the playoff teams in the Diamond League. If Brees puts up just normal points in Week 13 for Peter Berall's team, he beats Paul and you get in for best H2H record, AND Peter gets in for points instead of Will Tyrer, who caught him on a meaningless TD pass from Carson Palmer. The Diamond WAS THAT CLOSE in H2H and Total Points, which is exactly what that league is expected to produce.

The Diamond League has been narrowly decided all three years. Every year the top owners battle for these prizes and every point is crucial. Now if you can get all 12 owners to agree to something better, then you know I'm there to help you out. But right now that Diamond League went to the wire and 4 deserving teams are in the Championship Round, although as you know 2 other teams could have just as easily been in there.

No need to cut and paste my post and debate every line. We're on the same page with making the best contest and best private leagues we can together. But let's get through the bad beats first and award the winners from 2012. Thanks.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

TradeStar28

Post by TradeStar28 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:52 am

H2H used to be cool when we were younger and playing our buddies or co-workers.

In the larger format, H2H is meaningless to me. I dont care if I am playing some guy out of Kalamazoo or from the back woods of South Carolina or even a trust fund baby from Malibu Beach....

I care to get the most points each week from my roster and let that determine if I am better than you.

Right now, NFFC can have a case where a team gets best record in its league if the stars are aligned and the earth is spinning perfectly for them. any team could go down a schedule from weeks 3-11 and play against other teams who have all their big ticket players on bye weeks. They can play weeks 3-13 against teams who for whatever reason had a bad week. and they can play a team or teams that have major injuries during the particular week they are playing them.

H2H is a big dinosaur in the modern era.

Draft a team, pick your best roster. Score the most points you can.

End.of.story.
2012 - FI$HER - Flying High Again

kjduke

Post by kjduke » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:56 am

I didn't think we were debating the DMD here, I think I've said about as much as I can on that subject. You raised the H2H question in this thread and I'm addressing that.

Did I read your data wrong? Out of 35 primtime leagues, every league would have ended up with exact same playoff teams if H2H did not exist in this league, except for 5 teams. Is that correct? I enjoy H2H, but I'd prefer scrapping it to pretending that it mattered.

Old School

Post by Old School » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:02 pm

Really good proposal to work from Kevin. If you are going to use H2H to attract the masses,which I guess is always gonna happen, it should be relevant which it really isnt now. Not a big fan of H2H but if I'm playing under the rules, I'd hope it means something more

TradeStar28

Post by TradeStar28 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:02 pm

Everyone talks about this "excitement"......this big rush of playing H2H against one opponent....

You know what makes me excited.....WINNING

Winning with the fairest rules across the board and whereas luck has little or nothing to do with me WINNING makes me really excited!

Also, boobies in my face in a vegas hotel room in late August 2013 makes me super excited!

kjduke

Post by kjduke » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:05 pm

TradeStar28 wrote: Also, boobies in my face in a vegas hotel room in late August 2013 makes me super excited!
So you'd scrap H2H and implement B2B? :D

particra

Post by particra » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:07 pm

Since very few people win money in the tournament, H2H means something because they are taking at least $3k and maybe $7k in league prizes (for the Classic). So, the question to me isn't how many finish in Top 3, but Top 2 in points. Every H2H winner that is not in Top 2 is taking a large share of the league money when they are not one of the two best teams in the leagues, which means to me that H2H does matter in the only area that counts -- $$$$.

mattjb

Post by mattjb » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:08 pm

I agree that H2H is about playing with your local friends and about the banter that goes on in those match ups. That just doesn't exist at this level (outside of one or two instances).

I would prefer All Play every week with 12 points to 1 point (or 14 to 1) with a live updating table on the live scoring page. That to me would be exciting.

TradeStar28

Post by TradeStar28 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:10 pm

kjduke wrote:
TradeStar28 wrote: Also, boobies in my face in a vegas hotel room in late August 2013 makes me super excited!
So you'd scrap H2H and implement B2B? :D

I'm a B2B guy...no doubt! But the B's better be from some girl named Chelsea....and not some dude Bob from Dickeyville, Wisconsin from Primetime League 20.....lol

Btw Greg, you ever been to Dickeyville ? :lol:

kjduke

Post by kjduke » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:12 pm

particra wrote:Since very few people win money in the tournament, H2H means something because they are taking at least $3k and maybe $7k in league prizes (for the Classic). So, the question to me isn't how many finish in Top 3, but Top 2 in points. Every H2H winner that is not in Top 2 is taking a large share of the league money when they are not one of the two best teams in the leagues, which means to me that H2H does matter in the only area that counts -- $$$$.
That's a good point. In the rare case it matters, it is too richly rewarded. League playoffs should happen, and they should be handicapped based on the regular season results. Dishing out league money to a low-scoring team over a partial season makes no sense to me; all of the major contests are guilty of this.