Results of NFFC Rules Survey

BillyWaz

Re: Results of NFFC Rules Survey

Post by BillyWaz » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:57 pm

Jack_Bauer wrote:Greg,
-Can someone explain to me what the downside is to having the individual player (who returned a kick) also get credited for the TD that they actually scored? Other than "that isn't how it has always been" I am struggling to see why anyone would vote against that.
Agreed, and I would venture to say that at least 1/2 of the 48% only voted that way because "that's the way it has always been".

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:59 pm

Most starting QBs have between 9 and 14 INTs right now through 14 games and adding 1 more point won't change much. True, Brady has only 4 INTs and Rodgers has 8 INTs, but Drew Brees has 18 INTs and he's a top-flight QB. Here's the current Top 25 QBs and their stats:

Player TD Int Pts Avg
Brady, Tom (NE) 29 4 381.7 29.3
Brees, Drew (NO) 32 18 379.9 29.2
Manning, Peyton (DEN) 30 10 361.3 27.7
Griffin III, Robert (WAS) 18 4 359.2 27.6
Rodgers, Aaron (GB) 29 8 359.2 27.6
Newton, Cam (CAR) 16 10 350.6 26.9
Ryan, Matt (ATL) 24 14 340.9 26.2
Stafford, Matthew (DET) 17 12 327.1 25.1
Luck, Andrew (IND) 18 18 326.9 25.1
Dalton, Andy (CIN) 25 14 321.1 24.7
Palmer, Carson (OAK) 22 14 316.4 24.3
Freeman, Josh (TB) 25 8 313.8 24.1
Romo, Tony (DAL) 20 16 311.6 23.9
Schaub, Matt (HOU) 21 10 280.3 21.5
Manning, Eli (NYG) 20 13 279.6 21.5
Flacco, Joe (BAL) 18 9 274.4 21.1
Fitzpatrick, Ryan (BUF) 21 13 268 20.6
Rivers, Philip (SD) 21 15 267.9 20.6
Wilson, Russell (SEA) 20 9 263.6 20.2
Roethlisberger, Ben (PIT) 20 5 251.5 25.1
Bradford, Sam (STL) 15 10 246.1 18.9
Weeden, Brandon (CLE) 13 15 222.7 17.1
Cutler, Jay (CHI) 16 13 222.4 18.5
Ponder, Christian (MIN) 14 12 213.6 16.4
Vick, Michael (PHI) O 11 9 196.9 21.8
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

boli34

Post by boli34 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:34 pm

What about fumbles being -2? QBs throw more ints than players fumble thats why I voted -1 for ints but I would like fumbles to be -2 as someone fumbling like 5-6 times in a year is considered a lot where a qb that throws 12 picks or so is middle of the road. It evens out honestly.

Route C

Post by Route C » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:01 pm

Greg
Thanks for being fair as always. I was hoping to change FAAB but the majority has spoken so I will support that decision. Since you've yet to determine a change to ?#2 I would like to state why I voted NOT to award 6 pts to an individual player on ST TD's.

1st of all anyone claiming those who voted against the rule change because we are status quo individuals is pretty presumptuous. I voted that way because I don't like randomness in our hobby and we already have more of it than most players I've spoken with like. We can't do much about most of it i.e. H2H schedules...injured players...coaches disciplines etc.

There is no effective way to draft to turn this rule into an advantage. IMO it will be nothing more than an occasional "lucky score". This is way too lottery ...again IMO.

I can tell you this, as much as I hate the randomness of H2H right now....I'll blow a gasket if I lose one week because my opponent plays some cut rate WR on a bye week who happens to be filling in on special teams that week and he scores to beat me by a single point. I promise you somewhere in some league something like that will happen and it has absolutely nothing to do with skill, study or anything else within the players control. Please don't implement this rule Greg. We simply don't need it to have a great contest. We already have one!!!!!!!

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:22 pm

Route C wrote:Greg
Thanks for being fair as always. I was hoping to change FAAB but the majority has spoken so I will support that decision. Since you've yet to determine a change to ?#2 I would like to state why I voted NOT to award 6 pts to an individual player on ST TD's.

1st of all anyone claiming those who voted against the rule change because we are status quo individuals is pretty presumptuous. I voted that way because I don't like randomness in our hobby and we already have more of it than most players I've spoken with like. We can't do much about most of it i.e. H2H schedules...injured players...coaches disciplines etc.

There is no effective way to draft to turn this rule into an advantage. IMO it will be nothing more than an occasional "lucky score". This is way too lottery ...again IMO.

I can tell you this, as much as I hate the randomness of H2H right now....I'll blow a gasket if I lose one week because my opponent plays some cut rate WR on a bye week who happens to be filling in on special teams that week and he scores to beat me by a single point. I promise you somewhere in some league something like that will happen and it has absolutely nothing to do with skill, study or anything else within the players control. Please don't implement this rule Greg. We simply don't need it to have a great contest. We already have one!!!!!!!
I look at it from a totally different angle, Jeff.

If I have the player (say Randall Cobb...and obviously start him) and my opponent has the Green Bay Defense starting that day, there is NOTHING positive about my guy returning kicks.

1) He runs a greater risk of getting injured

and more importantly

2) My own player in MY lineup can actually cause me to have points against me. I know you will say that is the way it is now anyways, but from someone who DID lose because of this, I can tell you that it SUCKS (far worse than some mediocre WR who happens to return a kick).

I agree 100% that it is pretty random, but when Devin Hester was in his prime, I don't think you would of ever bet $1000 on ANY game that he WOULDN'T of returned a kick/punt. I just see the downside of not implementing this rule far worse than someone getting beat because someone returned a punt against them.

I think you might be forgetting about the "thrill" of watching YOUR player return a punt or kick and then realizing you get NOTHING for it (including all the yards he may have got on the drive had he not returned the kick).

Signed.....presumptuous. :D

Coltsfan

Post by Coltsfan » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:42 pm

I guess I'm in the minority on all 3 :o . But that's not unusual lol.

1. With free agency I'm honestly just glad that a decision has been made. I see where Chad was coming from and it's all good. There just isn't a perfect system here.

2. I really hoped that we weren't going to double dip the points on punt and kickoff returns. I know it's a small change but I guess it's just personal preference. The ironic part is that if you're going to count fumbles against the player then most return players will be more likely to go negative on points than to post positive points because of return td's. I'm really not sure what this accomplishes.

3. I guess the -2 per interception is the one I like the least here. I'm just guessing here but a lot of interceptions are not the QB's fault. Now they are going negative for something that they didn't do. (Receiver runs wrong route, receiver falls down, hail mary.) I assume that we will see the better QB's go even earlier now.....

Wayne

JETS SB

Post by JETS SB » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:52 pm

To me, if a rule has little to no effect on anything, other than a random 6 points for a special teams guy who is ALSO in your lineup at another position (As I said before, this is probably 4 or 5 players in the NFL), this rule should be implemented since it is fair and the only time in our contest when an "individual" can score an offensive TD and those points don't count for that individual. Sure, the defense/special teams gets the points, but seriously, we are talking about 6 points for a player that is in your lineup for offensive purposes and will then get penalized (by not getting a chance to be on offense) after he gets a TD! The rule makes complete sense and please don't tell me David Wilson is going to go in the first round because of this rule. It really doesnt have that kind of effect.

Then again, if the rule isn't changed, that would be fine, but the majority has voted and I believe it should be implemented.

Coltsfan

Post by Coltsfan » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:54 pm

If Julian Edelman is in on defense and he intercepts a ball and returns it for a touchdown AND someone is playing him at WR in their league, will he get 6 points for the TD?

Wayne

Sandman62

Post by Sandman62 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:59 pm

BillyWaz wrote:My own player in MY lineup can actually cause me to have points against me.
But he WASN'T your player when on special teams plays; you drafted him as an offensive player. Someone else drafted that DST. That's THEIR player at that point.

And news flash: the entire offense is robbed of a drive whenever ANY player scores a ST TD - not just YOUR player robbed when HE scores. :P

Like others, I'll live with whichever way this goes, as there just aren't that many cases to make a big difference.

We've pointed out our rationale; some disagree. But that doesn't mean we're just stubborn and resist all change. We could just as easily say "Some folks just wanna change everything to suit their own personal history - no matter how infrequent they've been burnt by a rule". But we don't. ;)
Last edited by Sandman62 on Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:11 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Sandman62

Post by Sandman62 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:01 pm

Coltsfan wrote:If Julian Edelman is in on defense and he intercepts a ball and returns it for a touchdown AND someone is playing him at WR in their league, will he get 6 points for the TD?

Wayne
Careful Wayne. You may be "overcomplicating" things too. :P
http://nffcforums.stats.com/viewtopic.p ... 70#p181848