Week 14 Thoughts and Observations

bald is beautiful

Re: Week 14 Thoughts and Observations

Post by bald is beautiful » Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:02 pm

Tom Kessenich wrote:
bald is beautiful wrote:
Tom Kessenich wrote:I also like Marcel Reece a lot as a player but there was no way to see what he did against the Jets as a realistic possibility. If you started him, congrats it worked out great. But I think it was one of those situations where you went with a guy hoping he'd be good and he ended up being spectacular. Can't believe anyone who started Reece on Sunday expected that. :)
Knowing how he has produced in the past when given plenty of touches, and seeing how Jennings has produced recently, I would have predicted against the Jets that he would rush for 60 yards and catch 5 balls for 40. That is 15 points. One TD and he's at 21. I picked up Reece and played him in the one private league that I could still get him.
Nice job. I'm glad it worked out so well. :) Here's a Tweet from my buddy Sigmund Bloom which provides more context to my point about Reece doing the totally unexpected on Sunday.

Sigmund Bloom ‏@SigmundBloom 1m
Only two RBs all year had more yds in a game against the #jets than Marcel Reece had on his 63-yd TD run, and two of them needed 20+ carries
I understand your point. His final stats were indeed unexpected from the rushing standpoint. I figured Oakland could and would throw the ball much more against that bad pass defense. Reece is a great receiver and teams get their yards against NYJ via the air. Plus D. Moore was out, so his chances of being more involved in the pass game might be greater.

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:16 pm

I agree there. I thought if Reece was going to get it done for fantasy it would be as a result of him getting receptions which was very likely. The rushing production was completely unexpected, though. The Jets' run defense had shut down everybody going into Sunday. That's an elite unit.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

Sandman62

Post by Sandman62 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:38 pm

boutrous11 wrote:I realize that Adrian Peterson got hurt and Doug Martin did too but if you're in the money weeks now and own Shady McCoy or Jamaal Charles you're a happy fantasy player. The value of a stud running back, especially in fantasy crunch time, is huge.

it's going to be interesting to compare the top WRs and the top RBs compare as far as adp and performance. Just glancing at it, it looks like going WR heavy early was the way to go, as opposed to going RB heavy early. In general anyway.
Funny you should mention that, as I just posted such stats this weekend: http://nffcforums.stats.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=12728

Sandman62

Post by Sandman62 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:42 pm

Tom Kessenich wrote:I also know studs like Cam and Brady came up small this week too so it can happen to anybody.
I agree with your point, but Brady didn't come up small this week (32 points). Cam did have just 18.8 though.

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:43 pm

Sandman62 wrote:
Tom Kessenich wrote:I also know studs like Cam and Brady came up small this week too so it can happen to anybody.
I agree with your point, but Brady didn't come up small this week (32 points). Cam did have just 18.8 though.
Yeah you're right. I meant Stafford. Brady was playing poorly for most of the game but ended up with stud numbers.

Stafford was so bad he finished well below Matt Schaub, who didn't even play half a game.
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich

ForLoveOfTheGame

Post by ForLoveOfTheGame » Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:57 pm

Tom Kessenich wrote:
Sandman62 wrote:
Yeah you're right. I meant Stafford. Brady was playing poorly for most of the game but ended up with stud numbers.

Stafford was so bad he finished well below Matt Schaub, who didn't even play half a game.
As someone with a ton of Stafford, I wish he would have come up as small as Brady!!! Haha! I loaded up on Gronk for the playoff run, I think I need to send him an apology letter :( That was a really tough injury to watch. He seemed like he tore his ACL and got a concussion on the same play. Yuck.

I think with the Raiders rotating QB's (is this real life?) you could make an argument that any player on the team, Reece or anyone, could drop a goose (or something similar) on you at any time. It's hard enough to be a QB in the NFL without getting yanked in and out. I can't take your franchise seriously if you are going to rotate QB's. At least start one in week 14 then the other one in 15. Christ I can't believe how much money these guys get paid to make these decisions!!!

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:04 pm

I've said many times that one of the most frustrating things about this game is when you make the right call for all the right reasons and it still blows up in your face.

Stafford yesterday is a great example. Here's a top fantasy QB with a great matchup and he just soiled the bed. Unless you have another Top 5 option I think starting Stafford was the absolute right call but it still blew up in your face. Sure the weather played a factor but Foles got going eventually. It was shocking to see Stafford melt down like he did.

In my opinion there are few things worse than starting the right guy for all the right reasons and it ends up killing you. Torrey Smith owners know what I mean. Same with Harry Douglas owners or Stafford owners. A couple of weeks ago Vincent Jackson had a dream matchup against the Lions only to watch Tiquan Underwood catch two long bombs for TDs, the exact type of plays VJax so often makes and ones the matchup strongly indicated would be possible. It's one thing to just blatantly screw the pooch and make a bad call. We've all been there. But when you do the right thing you should be rewarded, right? Funny how this game so often refuses to do that.

And yet I still love it.

What the hell is wrong with me? :)
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:17 pm

bald is beautiful wrote:
Tom Kessenich wrote:
bald is beautiful wrote:
I understand your point. His final stats were indeed unexpected from the rushing standpoint. I figured Oakland could and would throw the ball much more against that bad pass defense. Reece is a great receiver and teams get their yards against NYJ via the air. Plus D. Moore was out, so his chances of being more involved in the pass game might be greater.
Jack, good luck if you're going to the game tonight. Yesterday at Lambeau my beer froze in the neck of the bottle before I could even finish it. All of the beer that I brought to the tailgate froze as well. It was that cold. I have a feeling tonight at Soldier Field could be just as bad. Stay warm and let's see plenty of offense near the lake.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

chriseibl

Post by chriseibl » Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:04 pm

I was offered tickets for really cheap tonight and just couldn't do it. Everytime I go to a Bears game in these conditions, I can't wait for that 45 minute walk outside the stadium to end so I can get home and never go outside again. The only upside is that your beer stays cold and the last drops are every bit as good as the first sip.

I'm just not a very tough fan.

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:06 pm

Adrian Peterson says he expects to play next Sunday against the Eagles. Any other player saying that a day after writhing on the field in pain and being carted off the field would cause me to laugh.

But since it's All Day I'm gonna place the odds of him playing now firmly at 85%.
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich