Who Made It To The Finals In Cutline Championship?

kjduke

Re: Who Made It To The Finals In Cutline Championship?

Post by kjduke » Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:10 pm

ForLoveOfTheGame wrote:KJ! How did you sit Jimmy Graham this week which resulted in you getting in? If I sat Jimmy Graham I'd get to see a 53.6 on my bench! lol! Can I borrow your crystal ball?
Jared, that was a tough decision, but once I started all the big guys from Thursday's SD-Den "expected" shooutout, it came down to Alshon, DeSean and Jimmy. Jimmy seemed like the easiest guy for the D to take away, of course I did expect that I'd probably screw it up. :D

And thanks Steve, that would be sweet ... approaching a Jupinka-like season. 8-)

Jim Christie

Post by Jim Christie » Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:19 pm

greenwichsttavern wrote:So the team that finishes as the highest wild card team in an event that costs 150 bucks to get into gets 10k and the runner up in wild card gets 4k but a team that finishes with most regular season points in classic and primetime(2 main events) with a 1600 buy in gets 1500 ??? ok, sounds good...

I take it everyone read the rules/payouts, right? Then in week 16 people start to complain!!! CLASSIC!!!

Coach JP

Post by Coach JP » Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:25 pm

Jim Christie wrote: I take it everyone read the rules/payouts, right? Then in week 16 people start to complain!!! CLASSIC!!!
I don't agree with his point about comparing the two contests, since that's not what the Cutline is. Cutline is designed to be a lottery/scratch ticket game.

He does make a good point though about points leaders only getting $1500 in Classic/Primetime after 13 weeks. Should be at least double the investment ($3,200).

greenwichsttavern

Post by greenwichsttavern » Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:06 pm

Jim Christie wrote:
I take it everyone read the rules/payouts, right? Then in week 16 people start to complain!!! CLASSIC!!!

I'll admit I didn't take the time to read the rules on what happens to teams that make the cutline playoffs ,then miss the cutline and get back into them and what runner up prizes the wildcard teams win outside the top 12.... sorry but I wasn't thinking that far ahead.This is also the first year of this format which i actually like a lot and think it will be very popular going foward. I just think that the prize structure layout needs to be adjusted a little bit not only in this format but the others as well. 10k to the team that finishes first out of a consolation round event that is the smallest buy in compared to finishing in top 5 of championship rounds (3rd,4th 5th place etc) in classic and prime main events doesnt add up in my opinion.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:11 pm

Again, the idea of the NFFC Cutline prize structure was to provide solid prizes for everyone who made it to Week 16, the Final Round of this survivor contest. This was not designed to have the big carrot only and everything riding on Week 16. Instead, we went with more of a flat-line payout structure with all 12 Championship Round teams getting prize money.

The Consolation Round was also meant to have a lot of prize money because we wanted to show owners that finishing in the top half of your league was still worthwhile and then surviving every week of that Wild Card Round was valuable, too. Not only could you win good prize money in the Consolation Round, but you still had a shot at playing for the $50,000 grand prize. Maybe we went too far with 20 payouts, but the idea was to reward everyone who survived into Week 16.

Next year we'll definitely look to tweak the prizes, but it won't involve just first place overall. All prizes will have to grow along with it because we strongly believe that rewarding many teams in Week 16 is the way to go. It's survive or go home. The league prizes also aren't likely to change much as the goal is to advance each week. At the end of the season in this contest, the winning team will be that team that survived each week and then had the best team in Week 16.

I look forward to getting feedback on this contest at season's end. We'll start a separate thread for that next week and get your feedback. For the first season, I think the format and the drafts worked very well. The online draft room next year is going to be much improved, as you'll see by our NFFC Post-Season contest, making these drafts move more quickly and be much more enjoyable. The prizes will be bigger. And we'll adjust the Week 16 Wild Card entrants and prizes. We look forward to other tweaks if you feel they are needed. But overall we are pleased with this new format and we are extremely happy that it brought in so many new players to the NFFC community. That was the best part of this contest and it's going to lead us to develop a Cutline Championship for this upcoming baseball season as well.

Thanks all and good luck in Week 16.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

kjduke

Post by kjduke » Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:14 pm

greenwichsttavern wrote:Jim Christie wrote:

I'll admit I didn't take the time to read the rules on what happens to teams that make the cutline playoffs ,then miss the cutline and get back into them and what runner up prizes the wildcard teams win outside the top 12.... sorry but I wasn't thinking that far ahead.This is also the first year of this format which i actually like a lot and think it will be very popular going foward. I just think that the prize structure layout needs to be adjusted a little bit not only in this format but the others as well. 10k to the team that finishes first out of a consolation round event that is the smallest buy in compared to finishing in top 5 of championship rounds (3rd,4th 5th place etc) in classic and prime main events doesnt add up in my opinion.
It adds up perfectly, greenwich. You have to beat far more teams to reach even the top of the wildcard. Virtually all of the prize money is in the overall payout, whereas a big chunk of money in the other contests is earmarked for league prizes. It's a simple pick your poison option. If this isn't your kind of poison, there is an online champ, a classic champ, a prime champ and other options that pay more inline with your thinking.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:16 pm

greenwichsttavern wrote:Jim Christie wrote:

Chris, obviously each contest uses revenue from its own entries to pay out the prizes, so comparing the different contests isn't fair. We'd love to get the prize money higher for 3rd, 4th and 5th overall in the Main Events, but we need to sell those events out first. As for the Cutline, the Consolation Round is a big part of that contest and thus we felt bigger prizes were needed there to attract signups. Maybe we shot too high, but we'll look at it at season's end and tweak this prize structure. Either way, we think this contest has the potential to grow to $75,000 or even $100,000 in future years. Let's get your feedback next week and double the number of entries next year for the NFFC Cutline Championship as we start these drafts in May, not July.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

greenwichsttavern

Post by greenwichsttavern » Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:39 pm

Fair enough Greg.

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:24 pm

kjduke wrote:
BillyWaz wrote: Yea.....that totally needs to be revamped.

I think it is VERY important to tier EACH position to a different prize. Saying 6th-12th (for example) all get the same amount is ridiculous to me. So a team who has a far better week and finishes 6th gets the same as a team who conceivably got a ZERO for the week? I never understood the logic in "lumping" finishes with the same prize. The excitement of gaining a point or two which could mean an extra $500, $1,000, etc. is what these championship rounds should be about. I THINK THIS SHOULD BE FOR ALL THE CONTESTS....CLASSIC, PRIMETIME, CUTLINE, ETC. Giving a ton of $$ in the consolation round doesn't make sense, pay 5 places, and move on. The team who is 12th in the championship round of the Cutline should earn MORE than the winner of the consolation round (same goes for Classic and Primetime IMO).

Congrats to KJ Duke having TWO teams in the finals.....nice job! Out of curiousity....how many teams did you buy here?
Thanks Billy, I had 14 teams, 5 won the league title, I think 4-5 more finished 2nd and in all 13 made the playoff. Total investment was $1500.

As for the prize pool, you are suggesting that this pool become like every other. Hate it. Diversity is good. There are no other flattish prize pools in high stakes except for individual leagues, and even those are under assault as guys like Mikey push the Platinum setup that gives outsized reward to 1st place only at the expense of 2nd-4th.

The FFPC has a $250,000 first prize and for second pays some sort of chicken feed, $15-20k, I think. It's ridiculous and it favors the lucky over the skilled. For what could be a trivial point difference , a $200,000 gain/loss. I love the fact that the next place down in cutline pays 50% of the spot ahead of it and I'd hate to see that "revamped" to look like every other high stakes prize pool that is more about getting a headline than having a fair pay scale. With a bigger pot to go around next season, no quarrel with your idea to differentiate 6-12, however.
KJ,

For the record, I am NOT in favor of a 100K grand prize for this event (I just thought that was pretty much a given after some of the previous talk).

I would love to see this stay at 50K grand prize and load it up after that. More so than ever right now, I TOTALLY understand your issue with a MONSTER grand prize, and 2nd place being less than 10-15% of that.

My biggest issues are;

1) The NFFC is putting FAR too much into the consolation round for all it's contests. In the Cutline for example, the 4th place finisher will make MORE than the 6th place finisher in the championship round. That makes ZERO sense to me! Why shouldn't the 12 best teams (i.e the championship round) ALL make more than the BEST consolation team? Doesn't that make sense??? This goes for the Classic and Primetime as well.

2) I would like to see different prizes for EACH spot. Again, if I finish 6th or 10th (for example), I get the same amount????
Again...this is just completely illogical, IMO.

Good luck KJ.....bring it home!

Jim Christie

Post by Jim Christie » Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:17 pm

Coach JP wrote:
Jim Christie wrote: I take it everyone read the rules/payouts, right? Then in week 16 people start to complain!!! CLASSIC!!!
I don't agree with his point about comparing the two contests, since that's not what the Cutline is. Cutline is designed to be a lottery/scratch ticket game.

He does make a good point though about points leaders only getting $1500 in Classic/Primetime after 13 weeks. Should be at least double the investment ($3,200).
Well, for a $150 investment in Cutline, the point leader after 9 weeks got $250; but it wasn't abut winning $250, it was about making the lottery.