Should The NFL Abolish Extra Points?

The Franchise

Re: Should The NFL Abolish Extra Points?

Post by The Franchise » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:17 pm

I love the idea! Right now it's a boring automatic XP. Much more exciting to have teams go for 2 after a TD. Plus the best part of it (if I'm understanding correctly) is if the team goes for 2pts and does not convert the 2 pts they go back to 6 pts. If they do not go for the 2 pts they keep the 7 pts. If they make it they get 8 pts.

Makes it much more exciting and adds to the strategy of the game :D
Winning isn't everything, but the will to win is.

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:19 pm

Next up - red, white and blue footballs. :D
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

kjduke

Post by kjduke » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:24 pm

Tom Kessenich wrote: I'd rather Goodell addressed actual problems with the game before turning it into a gimmick league.
Normally I don't like changing things like scoring that have an historical impact, but extra points are just silly. As I see it, it is more gimmicky to have them then get rid of them; they have very little impact on the game other than wasting time.

mattjb

Post by mattjb » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:25 pm

quite a clever idea actually.

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:30 pm

kjduke wrote:
Tom Kessenich wrote: I'd rather Goodell addressed actual problems with the game before turning it into a gimmick league.
Normally I don't like changing things like scoring that have an historical impact, but extra points are just silly. As I see it, it is more gimmicky to have them then get rid of them; they have very little impact on the game other than wasting time.
If there weren't far more pressing issues that I believe significantly impact the game that need to be addressed first I'd agree with you KJ. I thought this season had far more incompetent officiating that directly impacted games than ever before - worse than the replacement refs last season. Something needs to be done to prevent Mike Triplett, who was an absolute disgrace this season, from officiating a playoff game. That's a f'n joke. I also think the replay process needs to be reviewed and possibly overhauled (if nothing else, it's ludicrous how long these reviews are currently taking). The Calvin Johnson rule is also absurd. Let's address the big issues first. Then we can look at the insignificant issues next.

Can anyone honestly tell me their enjoyment level of a game is impacted by the number of extra points or how easily they are converted? I'd find that extremely hard to believe.
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich

Sandman62

Post by Sandman62 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:40 pm

Tom Kessenich wrote:
Sandman62 wrote:
kjduke wrote:I like the idea, it's a virtually worthless play. Speeds the game up and takes away a random rare-occurrence miss.
It may speed up the elapsed minutes of game we get to see, but I doubt it reduces any time off the total event duration. IOW, they'll just go to longer and more commercials after TDs! :roll:
Fewer commercials = lower ad revenue. Absolutely no way money hungry Goodell allows something like that to occur on his watch.
I was implying MORE commercials, not less.

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:44 pm

Sandman62 wrote: I was implying MORE commercials, not less.
Which may very well be the real reason why Goodell wants this changed. He's pure greed and all about squeezing every possible penny out of this game.
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich

kjduke

Post by kjduke » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:48 pm

Tom Kessenich wrote:
kjduke wrote:
If there weren't far more pressing issues that I believe significantly impact the game that need to be addressed first I'd agree with you KJ. I thought this season had far more incompetent officiating that directly impacted games than ever before - worse than the replacement refs last season. Something needs to be done to prevent Mike Triplett, who was an absolute disgrace this season, from officiating a playoff game. That's a f'n joke. I also think the replay process needs to be reviewed and possibly overhauled (if nothing else, it's ludicrous how long these reviews are currently taking). The Calvin Johnson rule is also absurd. Let's address the big issues first. Then we can look at the insignificant issues next.

Can anyone honestly tell me their enjoyment level of a game is impacted by the number of extra points or how easily they are converted? I'd find that extremely hard to believe.
Not arguing on addressing other issues Tom, but a simple rule change like this is an extremely easy fix ... the other things you want done - dealing with personnel, rule interpretation, not so easy. Might as well fix the easy thing while working on the bigger stuff ...

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:49 pm

kjduke wrote: Not arguing on addressing other issues Tom, but a simple rule change like this is an extremely easy fix ... the other things you want done - dealing with personnel, rule interpretation, not so easy. Might as well fix the easy thing while working on the bigger stuff ...
My concern is the bigger stuff is being ignored while something insignificant like this gets all the focus.
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:57 pm

My main issue here is so much of what Goodell wants to do strikes me as ignorant (more regular season games), totally unnecessary (more overseas games) or insignificant (removing PATs or adding more playoff teams). Then when major issues occur such as the outcome of games impacted by horrible officiating, nothing is done or even hinted at being addressed. If the issue doesn't involve potentially increasing the league revenue it doesn't seem like Goodell's very interested in addressing it.
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich