Anybody Up For A Chat Today?

renman

Post by renman » Fri Oct 07, 2005 3:25 am

the next big thing...

the difference between your mocking examples and portis is that portis REALLY HAS rushed for 1400+ yards in the past... so it is reasonable to expect him to continue what he is doing now...

factor in that the redskins offense is just now starting to find stablitiy at QB and spread the filed some... also conside a very favorable rushing schedule for portis and i think tom is right to stick with him...

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Fri Oct 07, 2005 3:39 am

Originally posted by The Next Big Thing:
quote:Originally posted by Tom Kessenich:
He's on pace for a 1,400-yard rushing season. What's killing him from a fantasy perspective is the lack of TDs. I always love that one...the only thing killing me is his lack of t.d.s and may i add "overall fantasy points"

I feel the same way about joey harrinton...[/QUOTE]

With all due respect, that's a poor comparison. Harrington is an awful QB; Portis is not an awful RB. And it depends on your league's scoring system. In the Fantasy Guru Expert League, I'm 3-1 and tied for first overall (this is a league I really care about since it gives a big-screen TV to the champion) and Portis is my RB2. I've had zero problems with him in that league. Not keen on him this week as I said, but overall he's been fine and he'll be much more than fine when he starts scoring some TDs -- which he will.

IF HE ONLY THREW FOR MORE YARDS AND TOUCH DOWNS HE'D BE A GREAT FANTASY PLAYER.

The difference is Portis has a proven track record of success. Harrington does not. So projecting out with Portis is a much more viable argument than projecting anything out with Harrington -- other than more disappointment.

AND THE "ON PACE" I LOVE TO PLAY THAT GAME ALSO.

ON PACE:

TRENT DILFER IS "ON PACE" FOR 4,384 YARDS
STEVEN DAVIS IS "ON PACE" FOR 24 TOUCH DOWNS(LOOK OUT PRIEST HOLMES)
K. MCCARDEL IS ON PACE FOR 20 TOUCHDOWNS( LOOK OUT JERRY RICE) Again, projecting out with established players is far less risky than projecting out for players to significantly over-achieve upon past performance. The chances of Clinton Portis rushing for 1,400 yards is extremely likely since he has done that twice in three seasons and narrowly missed on that in his other season. The projections you list are highly unlikely since they would far exceed the players in question typical level of performance.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

Diesel

Post by Diesel » Fri Oct 07, 2005 3:44 am

I'm hoping that Gonzalez changes the pace he's been on this year. I've only Had Gonzalez 2 years. And he's sucked both times I've had him...Does anyone want to trade? ;)
*Ranked #1 Average Fantasy Football Player in the Nation 2004-2013

"Fantasy sports are all about LUCK. Except when I win."

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Fri Oct 07, 2005 5:22 am

He practiced in limited fashion yesterday. We'll know more today. If he practices fully today I think he'll play. If he doesn't practice today or is limited it's going to be a dreaded game-time decision.

Sucks because not only do I have Horn in my main league but DJax is my WR2. The good news is it's easier to make up WR production for one week than any other position typically but it just sucks to go from feeling like you're loaded at WR to having injury concerns.
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Fri Oct 07, 2005 5:25 am

By the way, I think I'm the one responsible for Horn's injury situation. I've never had him before and this year in my main league he fell to me late in the third round. I was thrilled because I think he's an under-rated stud (I included him in our under-rated list in our second issue) and one of the main reasons why I liked him is because he NEVER missed a game. The only game he missed while with the Saints was due to a suspension. So I liked not only his production but his dependability.

So what happens the first time I have him? He gets hurt and the injury appears to be lingering. I think it's safe to say I'm responsible for this development.

Sorry.
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich

Walla Walla

Post by Walla Walla » Fri Oct 07, 2005 5:33 am

How do feel about the chances of a bid for draft spot?

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Fri Oct 07, 2005 5:37 am

My personal opinion? I think nag summed up my feelings in his first post in that thread. I'm a firm believer that draft position does not correlate to fantasy success. As I've said numerous times, it's not where you draft it's who you draft. However I think the idea of draft bidding is an interesting concept. My concern, though, is that it may prevent us from expanding the event to its fullest potential because it could introduce an element that is either too complicated or too foreign for the people who would be considering the event. So my concern is that by appealing to the minority we could be turning off the majority.

That said, I've been wrong before -- about a great many things -- and I will be wrong again. It's entirely possible the idea of draft bidding is one that the majority of our participants (and those who have yet to join) will eagerly embrace. I am in full support of whatever direction Greg decides to go for the NFFC (and NFBC) and if the idea of draft bidding is one he believes will help grow the event and we receive the commentary which tells us the majority of our participants strongly believe in it and whose time has come I'll be on board with it.

You can count on that.

[ October 07, 2005, 11:39 AM: Message edited by: Tom Kessenich ]
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich