Motion to Eliminate Kickers (from at least the Slow Drafts)

nails

Re: Motion to Eliminate Kickers (from at least the Slow Draf

Post by nails » Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:01 am

simple solution, allow one free agent period before season starts for teams that have already drafted to eliminate this unfair advantage of players (i.e. kickers getting waived).
Bring it on .

Sandman62

Post by Sandman62 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:12 am

Not simple at all, unless it's limited to kickers only. I, for one, sure don't want to do summer drafts only to watch my opponents redo some of their whiffed picks a week before the season starts.

nails

Post by nails » Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:16 am

i just suggested ONE period. everyone would have the same advantage. a kicker getting cut is not a wiffed pick. Josh Gordon is a wiffed pick if you have nobody else to use for week 1 which is not the case for anyone.. kicker on the other hand.. drafting 2 i would be willing to guess maybe 1% of all players actually take 2. if that.
Bring it on .

Sandman62

Post by Sandman62 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:22 am

I understand. Which is why I suggested that if a preseason waiver period were done, that it should be limited to just kickers. I don't want my opponents (and me) replacing all the non-kicker whiffed bench picks we made until we've all seen the results of week 1 of the regular season. IOW, I'm not ready to replace non-injured picks before I've seen at least one NFL week. And I would prefer that others don't get to do that.

KenGill

Post by KenGill » Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:12 am

Nails are you serious? The rules as they are now force people to pay attention to the kicking position.
Do you take the 2nd kicker in round 22 or do you take yet another RB or WR or TE? As some of the others mentioned, some of these guys were clearly in kicking competitions and at risk to get cut. Some of them will also be back in the league by week three. I would guess that Henery and Succop or Barth will get a shot somewhere. Feely, perhaps not since he's 38.

On a huge roster like in this format there is no excuse for not having a second and preferably 3rd kicker on it. Kickers get cut, kickers get hurt. Kickers go out and party like it's 1999 and get arrested for DUI just like position players do.

They are trying to make this as realistic as possible to running a real team. There's no do-overs in the NFL. You have what you have.
I never lost a game. I only ran out of time. Bobby Layne
Kid....if you're going to make it in this league, you're going to have to learn to drink. Bobby Layne

Don Draper

Post by Don Draper » Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:22 am

this is getting to the point of "fantasy football for dummies". do your damn homework, and you'll be rewarded most of the time.

CALI CARTEL

Post by CALI CARTEL » Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:30 am

I like the Team Kicker idea, that would clear up a lot of headaches; but the need to "handcuff" kickers is just insane. There weren't even enough kickers who weren't in a potential camp battles to draft two per team, sorry if I don't want to draft two kickers from the same team and have 4-6 kickers cluttering up my roster; or I don't want it to get a point where you need to use a pair of Top 15 picks to get a pair of safe kickers. And like someone said before with Hartley/Kaeding, it's not just camp battles, kickers are susceptible to injuries as well; Defenses aren't in a full capacity, even if their best player gets hurt, the Defense still scores points -- so a Team Kicker idea would work nicely for the Slow Drafts.

BLACKHAND

Post by BLACKHAND » Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:51 am

how many kickers do you really need for week 1 ? i draft one kicker that i know is not in a fight for his job. i would rather take a shot on a second or third string rb and hope to catch a future starter rather than a second kicker . after week one you can pick up any kicker you want. by the time live drafts start you should know who is fighting for a job. drafts that start in may , june , july i guess is different.
THIS IS THE BUSINESS WE HAVE CHOSEN

Sandman62

Post by Sandman62 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:00 pm

Frank, this thread refers to Slow Drafts (but I think applies to all DCs). So, as you know, there IS no waiver option throughout the season.

RiFF

Post by RiFF » Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:39 pm

CALI CARTEL wrote:I like the Team Kicker idea, that would clear up a lot of headaches; but the need to "handcuff" kickers is just insane. There weren't even enough kickers who weren't in a potential camp battles to draft two per team, sorry if I don't want to draft two kickers from the same team and have 4-6 kickers cluttering up my roster; or I don't want it to get a point where you need to use a pair of Top 15 picks to get a pair of safe kickers. And like someone said before with Hartley/Kaeding, it's not just camp battles, kickers are susceptible to injuries as well; Defenses aren't in a full capacity, even if their best player gets hurt, the Defense still scores points -- so a Team Kicker idea would work nicely for the Slow Drafts.
Again, if the objective is to "dumb-down" the draft this would be an excellent idea. I'd suggest, if that was the intent, then team QB's should also be considered. (I have S. Bradford on a few teams)
That type of format wouldn't appeal to me, but I can certainly see it's appeal for some. And, your points are valid, but that is part of the strategy involved in early drafts. It tends to magnify team construction and the various choices available. How risk averse you are and, in this case, would you rather take an upside RB or WR instead of a solid known commodity kicker. And, again, for anyone paying attention all the kicker competitions were well known. For instance, I had Graham rated as the 5th best kicker, but due to the competition he was involved with I dropped him to kicker 26. I felt good with 23 kickers and tried to get 3 of them in DC's...due to roster construction and the flow of the draft that wasn't always possible, so I ended up with Graham and Feeley on a couple teams, but I was fully aware of the risk with those picks.
If you don't want to use a couple mid round picks to ensure having solid kicker options, then that is your choice...if the kickers you choose later pan out then you were wise in your roster construction choice, if not.....well then you can lobby for a change in format.