$996

Coltsfan

Re: $996

Post by Coltsfan » Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:01 am

I picked him up in all 4 leagues that he was available and I went anywhere from 952 - 986 depending on my need at WR. All year I bid on guys just hoping they make an impact or will cover bye weeks effectively. Most of it is junk and nothing happens. I saw Allen Hurns regularly go 400 - 600 last night. Who has more upside? If he doesn't play I'll take my last place finishes and not look back. But if he does......I have some pretty loaded teams that might look a "tad" bit better with Gordon on the roster.

Wayne

Sandman62

Post by Sandman62 » Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:08 am

Glenneration X wrote:So the question is whether a 9th or 10th round value is worth an all-in bid.
Other WRs in this ADP range:

Player Team ADP
Mike Evans TB 103.27
Riley Cooper Phi 106.31
Rueben Randle NYG 106.61
Anquan Boldin SF 108.11
Cecil Shorts III Jac 109.51
DeAndre Hopkins Hou 113.22
Tavon Austin StL 118.99
Danny Amendola NE 120.02
Kenny Stills NO 120.14

So how many games would you have to be able to use Gordon before he's worth more than these players?

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:08 am

KenGill wrote:Has not even been reinstated yet. Some dude in my league bid $870 on him. Good luck with that. First he has to be reinstated. Second he is still going to miss a couple of games for the DWI. Third he isn't in game shape yet.
I would add a 4th here.......who can say that he won't do something drug/alcohol related AGAIN, during the season IF he is reinstated??? :o

particra

Post by particra » Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:11 am

I went $850 and got him nowhere. I wish I had gone $950.

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:33 am

Coltsfan wrote:I picked him up in all 4 leagues that he was available and I went anywhere from 952 - 986 depending on my need at WR. All year I bid on guys just hoping they make an impact or will cover bye weeks effectively. Most of it is junk and nothing happens. I saw Allen Hurns regularly go 400 - 600 last night. Who has more upside? If he doesn't play I'll take my last place finishes and not look back. But if he does......I have some pretty loaded teams that might look a "tad" bit better with Gordon on the roster.

Wayne
I don't disagree with this statement. However, the point I was trying to make is what changed in the time these drafts took place? Anyone could have drafted him in the 20th round for these leagues. Why now the all-in bid when a few days or weeks earlier he wasn't even worth a last round pick?

PS...that said, I do have him on a handful of teams across various contests (including the Platinum). However for each team I have him, the cost was no greater than an 8th round pick, or first reserve in essence. I lost him for any league he was available yesterday in FAAB as the still potential downside far outweighed an all-in bid in my mind.

I also believe an all-in bid week one handcuffs you so greatly through the balance of the season in a sport where depth and flexibility is so crucial due to the non-stop injuries of the game (what, a half dozen starting RB's injured week one for instance), that even if Gordon is fully reinstated, the potential holes that may be created elsewhere with no recourse to correct may trump Gordon's production.

David U Kennedy

Post by David U Kennedy » Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:40 am

With Gordon I think most guys believe they will get last years version. I see more of a top 15 guy than a top 3. That Brown's offense looks dysfunctional. Still a nice add but not the dramatic difference maker he was last year. Hoyer or Manziel to Gordon doesn't inspire me.

chriseibl

Post by chriseibl » Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:56 am

Coltsfan wrote:I picked him up in all 4 leagues that he was available and I went anywhere from 952 - 986 depending on my need at WR. All year I bid on guys just hoping they make an impact or will cover bye weeks effectively. Most of it is junk and nothing happens. I saw Allen Hurns regularly go 400 - 600 last night. Who has more upside? If he doesn't play I'll take my last place finishes and not look back. But if he does......I have some pretty loaded teams that might look a "tad" bit better with Gordon on the roster.

Wayne
This is absolutely the correct strategy and you won't be in last place if it doesn't pan out. Having $20 left doesn't prevent you from making an impact in free agency either. Last year there were plenty of leagues where Keenan Allen or Zac Stacy went for a buck or two before they blew up.

I bid 983 and lost to Jack.

chriseibl

Post by chriseibl » Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:57 am

David U Kennedy wrote:With Gordon I think most guys believe they will get last years version. I see more of a top 15 guy than a top 3. That Brown's offense looks dysfunctional. Still a nice add but not the dramatic difference maker he was last year. Hoyer or Manziel to Gordon doesn't inspire me.
I agree with this statement but still feel he's worth a $980 bid... unless you think there's another free agent WR out there who could potentially finish top 15. There may or may not be but odds are against it.

chriseibl

Post by chriseibl » Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:58 am

Glenneration X wrote:

Wayne
I don't disagree with this statement. However, the point I was trying to make is what changed in the time these drafts took place? Anyone could have drafted him in the 20th round for these leagues. Why now the all-in bid when a few days or weeks earlier he wasn't even worth a last round pick?

PS...that said, I do have him on a handful of teams across various contests (including the Platinum). However for each team I have him, the cost was no greater than an 8th round pick, or first reserve in essence. I lost him for any league he was available yesterday in FAAB as the still potential downside far outweighed an all-in bid in my mind.

I also believe an all-in bid week one handcuffs you so greatly through the balance of the season in a sport where depth and flexibility is so crucial due to the non-stop injuries of the game (what, a half dozen starting RB's injured week one for instance), that even if Gordon is fully reinstated, the potential holes that may be created elsewhere with no recourse to correct may trump Gordon's production.
I think there's a lot more certainty from analysts that Gordon is coming back now than there was then. They could all be wrong but the general feeling now is that Gordon is coming back whereas it didn't appear possible before. Plenty of people drafted him in the 8th, 9th, 10th round the last weekend before Sunday when that possibility appeared more likely.

chriseibl

Post by chriseibl » Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:00 am

BillyWaz wrote:
KenGill wrote:Has not even been reinstated yet. Some dude in my league bid $870 on him. Good luck with that. First he has to be reinstated. Second he is still going to miss a couple of games for the DWI. Third he isn't in game shape yet.
I would add a 4th here.......who can say that he won't do something drug/alcohol related AGAIN, during the season IF he is reinstated??? :o
That's the risk you take. I didn't get Gordon in the one league he was available but definitely felt the risk/reward was worth it. I also still feel that with a little effort, fantasy players of your caliber can do more with $20 than a lot of your leaguemates do with $1,000.