Pickup Question

chriseibl

Re: Pickup Question

Post by chriseibl » Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:33 pm

It's just another element of strategy. Do you secure your Week 1 with a backup kicker (something usually happens to one kicker out there in a pre-season game) or do you bolster your depth at other positions going into Week 1. You chose to gamble (lots of people do, wasn't a right or wrong decision) and lost. Adding FAAB before week 1 would cut into doing what I prefer to do the week before the season starts and that's draft.

Jersey Dawg

Post by Jersey Dawg » Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:35 pm

Maize Rage wrote:
ForLoveOfTheGame wrote:It should just be team kicker period. All the guys who took Suisham earlier are screwed too. I would NEVER, EVER waste a roster spot on a 2nd kicker early in the drafting season, too many dart throws that you could hit on early. After this round of preseason games most of those will be gone though
Maybe by your thought process we should have team QB as well...if it ain't broke don't fix it. All the teams who took Jordy/Kelvin/Arian early are a lot more screwed than the Suisham owners who will get a like replacement after 1 week. Injury risk is part of drafting.
Honestly, I would be totally in favor of removing the kicker position entirely from the draft and scoring system and adding a second flex. I can recall all too many times I outscored the team I was playing by 14 or more points only to have my kicker get 3-4 extra points and the other guys kicker score 20 on 4 long field goals.

BigBlueNation

Post by BigBlueNation » Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:56 pm

With FF becoming a year-round event and nonDC drafts becoming ever popular before the season starts, I think it's time to seriously consider a FAAB period prior to week 1. Greg/Tom, do one of your questionnaires to the NFFC family, see what happens.

I don't want to remove the PK position from the roster, I advocated making the PK part of the D/ST a couple years ago. I'd still be in for that. When you draft a teams D/ST, you get their PK too, whoever their PK is.
Bill Cleavenger
UK Wildcats...We don't rebuild, we "RELOAD"

nails

Post by nails » Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:21 pm

this is the deal.. on the one hand NFFC wants you to sign up early and draft early in all these online drafts coming into the season.. this is where they make their money but on the other hand if you do like they want (and don't do the last minute signups), you can be punished.. no way someone drafts 2 kickers the live weekend of drafts.. now there have been leagues I've drafted 2 kickers and some I have not.. I have one league out of 10 or so where I lost a kicker ..

I see zero reason why Free agency shouldn't start before week one for those who have drafted.. if people want to spend their budget before season so be it, or at least have something that allows for the pickup of a kicker at the very least.

doesnt' matter either way,
Bring it on .

Cdh

Post by Cdh » Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:36 pm

I think we should be able to spend free agent money once before the league starts. Just my opinion.

kingraiders

Post by kingraiders » Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:44 am

If your kicker was Connor Barth you can just send Lovie some flowers, so maybe you can avoid the goosegg afterall! :D

CALI CARTEL

Post by CALI CARTEL » Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:33 am

I personally don't like kickers, but that's not the bigger concern here.

No one is "forced" to enter teams early, but without entering teams early we could not have the big prize money that is out there for these games. With an Overall Competition that uses Regular Season Points as a major component to it's final standings, it's unfair to teams that draft in early/mid August to be penalized for an injury to a kicker. I know you can say that it's part of the strategy/gamble to not back up your kicker, but as someone else mentioned, the teams that draft the final weekend will never draft a backup kicker since they are all but certain to be healthy headed into the season. These late teams not only do not have to worry about the zero from a random kicker slot, they can freely add an extra player for depth rather than worry about that backup kicker.

Teams will still sign up early, but unless Greg/Tom want more and more smarter owners to push their drafts as late as possible, then there has to be a Waiver period on the Wednesday before the season starts. If you draft after Wednesday, you don't get this Waiver period, but you shouldn't need it, since everyone that would be picked up in Waivers will be drafted or at least have the opportunity to be drafted.