Antonio Brown: What Will Happen To Him With Vick At QB?

CoMoHusker

Re: Antonio Brown: What Will Happen To Him With Vick At QB?

Post by CoMoHusker » Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:37 am

People also need to remember that it was a short week. In addition to that, the Steelers get M. Bryant back next week and don't play until Monday night. My guess is that they will open the game plan up a bit more and allow Vick to take some more shots downfield. I don't think I would panic after just one game. There was obviously going to be a regression in AB's numbers without Big Ben but I think AB owners will see better games than that while Ben is out.

If I'm a Steeler fan I would really be questioning why on two 4th down plays, why the ball wasn't in the hands of their best player. L. Bell looked great last night and I would take my chances on handing him the ball on 4th and short over some sort of planned sweep by Vick to the short side of the field.
Go Big Red!

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:44 am

Brown was open on the last fourth-down play. That should've been an easy completion. Vick just made a horrible throw.

I think the good news is Vick didn't have trouble targeting Brown downfield and should've had a TD. Vick still has a strong arm so the possibility for big plays downfield remains intact for Brown. The bad news is Vick had no touch on some of the intermediate routes that Brown was running and those are crucial for Brown's value in PPR because they should be very easy completions that gives Brown the opportunity to try and make a play after the catch. I think that's where Brown will feel Roethlisberger's loss the most - on those intermediate routes. Vick has never been a strong timing or touch passer. Roethlisberger excels at it.

But again if you told me as a Brown owner that Brown will be in a position to catch six passes per game (which is what he should have caught last night) with a shot at a TD every week with Vick I'll take that until Ben returns. That would at least allow Brown to carry high-end WR2/low-end WR1 value with Roethlisberger out which isn't the end of the world - assuming Roethlisberger can return within the next 2-3 weeks.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:59 am

Unless you meant the fourth-down run by Vick? Yeah that call was horrific. I would've punted.
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich

CoMoHusker

Post by CoMoHusker » Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:20 am

Tom Kessenich wrote:Unless you meant the fourth-down run by Vick? Yeah that call was horrific. I would've punted.
Yes, the run was what I questioned. If you're going to run there, give to Bell. I had no issue with the play call to throw short to AB, Vick just made a bad throw.
Go Big Red!

Don Draper

Post by Don Draper » Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:27 am

Tom Kessenich wrote:Brown was open on the last fourth-down play. That should've been an easy completion. Vick just made a horrible throw. .
There will be more of that. If vick is the QB for 6 games, I think brown is sub 10 points in 5 of them. We had our first one last night. Vick is simply a horrible passer. Brown Likely only a possible flex play while ben is out. Sorry brown owners

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:58 am

Don Draper wrote:
Tom Kessenich wrote:Brown was open on the last fourth-down play. That should've been an easy completion. Vick just made a horrible throw. .
There will be more of that. If vick is the QB for 6 games, I think brown is sub 10 points in 5 of them. We had our first one last night. Vick is simply a horrible passer. Brown Likely only a possible flex play while ben is out. Sorry brown owners
I agree Vick is a killer for Brown in terms of those intermediate type of routes but overall I don't think it'll be that bad. I also don't think Ben will be out six weeks. He was on the sidelines without crutches last night. That's a huge positive sign. I wouldn't be surprised if he was back within 3 weeks.
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich

renman

Post by renman » Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:00 pm

I stand by my post from before last nights game. What makes Brown so valuable is the incredible volume he gets. That is hugely related to Ben's ability to find him in space, be an accurate passer, extend plays that allows Brown to improvise, make pre snap reads and then signal Brown for something. Almost all of these things disappear with Vick in. Keep in mind, that long TD that brown had was a borderline hail mary into double coverage and was a play that by anyone's standards was a tough catch.

I was shocked that Tomlin had Scobee kick the first fg into the wind giving the Ravens great field position. It reminded me some of the Dallas/Giants game situation where it could be argued that the giants should have gone for it rather than kicking fg to go up 6. Pitt should have punted the ravens down inside the 10 and made them go the entire field where they wouldn't have gone for a game winning TD (something a team would do down 6) and would settle for FG if they happened to get in range anyway. Then to go for it on 4th down the first time and run that naked QB sweep? I also think he should have let Scobee take a shot to win the game on the final Pitt possession. The wind was with them. One could argue it was a 50-50 shot he makes it. It he goes, you have a kicker who gets some confidence back... if he doesn't you still play defense. But to run that shallow sprint out to the sideline where a QB and WR need to really be in sync was shocking. To me, a terrible play call even if Brown was open and Vick missed it. It is a bad call because it is likely that Vick would miss it. Some kind of run/pass option would have been nice.

To me, Tomlin had a worse night than Scobee.

Don Draper

Post by Don Draper » Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:47 pm

Tom Kessenich wrote: I agree Vick is a killer for Brown in terms of those intermediate type of routes but overall I don't think it'll be that bad.
It seems to be pretty bad to me

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:18 pm

Don Draper wrote:
Tom Kessenich wrote: I agree Vick is a killer for Brown in terms of those intermediate type of routes but overall I don't think it'll be that bad.
It seems to be pretty bad to me
Bad would be an improvement. It is pitiful.

Why not call Charlie Batch, Steve Deberg, etc.? Seriously....ANYONE who can throw the football.

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:12 am

It's every bit as bad as many feared. Brown is a WR3 in my opinion until Ben comes back and this week's matchup vs. Patrick Peterson is not a good one at all. I don't think it's out of the question to strongly consider sitting Brown if you have good options. I'm not saying sit him for Ty Montgomery but if you have a productive WR like a Willie Snead or Allen Hurns (assuming Bortles is OK) I wouldn't consider it crazy to go for them instead of Brown if Ben can't go. This is flat-out ugly and definitely reminiscent of how Jordy Nelson's value took a massive hit the year Rodgers was hurt.
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich