Additional 2008 Rules_Changes?

ultimatefs

Post by ultimatefs » Wed Dec 26, 2007 12:19 pm

Originally posted by Route C:
quote:Originally posted by Max Factor:
I also don't think anyone will have their 19th round pick on their roster for more than 3-4 weeks. It certainly will be your first drop when you make you first free agency move. So to me that is not a significant rule change.

Look at your roster grids for this year, did any league have an 18th roundre that stayed on the roster the entire year? If so, did they have an impact? It's not the draft pick that's valuable to me it's the roster spot. You're probably right about the 19th spot being the 1st drop but by week 5 once you've dropped all your dead weight and want to add a hot F/A pickup plus cover a kicker or def on a bye week....you might appreciate not having to drop Leon Washington to achieve it. ;)
[/QUOTE]Based on this... why draft the 19th round?

Just draft 18 rounds and leave the open spot for FAAB...
Jules is a Dirt bag and makes my luck.

RI WORKHORSE

Post by RI WORKHORSE » Wed Dec 26, 2007 12:23 pm

Originally posted by JohnZ:
quote:Originally posted by Route C:
I also don't think anyone will have their 19th round pick on their roster for more than 3-4 weeks. It certainly will be your first drop when you make you first free agency move. So to me that is not a significant rule change.

Look at your roster grids for this year, did any league have an 18th roundre that stayed on the roster the entire year? If so, did they have an impact? It's not the draft pick that's valuable to me it's the roster spot. You're probably right about the 19th spot being the 1st drop but by week 5 once you've dropped all your dead weight and want to add a hot F/A pickup plus cover a kicker or def on a bye week....you might appreciate not having to drop Leon Washington to achieve it. ;)

[/QUOTE]Sounds good to me :D :D
I.W
Johnny Frisella

RI WORKHORSE

Post by RI WORKHORSE » Wed Dec 26, 2007 12:26 pm

Anyone for adding a 3rd team to the 3 week playoff???? (If the H2H winner is not the total points winner) I would love to see top 2 in total points and then the H2H in the 3 week playoff.

Would love to see H2H as a prize of it's own and not get the league championship rights ,But I know this will never happen.

So how about adding one more team to the three week playoff?????
I.W
Johnny Frisella

RI WORKHORSE

Post by RI WORKHORSE » Wed Dec 26, 2007 12:29 pm

Greg,

You also asked if we would remind you about a small satellite prize to be added to the teams that are out of it.
I.W
Johnny Frisella

Route Collectors

Post by Route Collectors » Wed Dec 26, 2007 3:12 pm

Originally posted by JohnZ:
quote:Originally posted by Route C:

[/QUOTE]I'm fine with it either way.

Team Canada

Post by Team Canada » Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:32 pm

I would like to see one more spot on the roster.
At the very least it allows you to select your starting qb's backup.
Would still like to see a day were a TE can be used as a WR aswell, but that one always gets killed!
2008 double playoffs!!

Mike Costaglio

Post by Mike Costaglio » Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:40 pm

More roster spots=less management. Leave it at 18.

Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko » Sun Dec 30, 2007 12:19 am

Originally posted by Mike Costaglio:
More roster spots=less management. Leave it at 18. if that's the case, maybe we should REDUCE roster spots to 14. that would be more management, wouldn't it? :eek:
Is my "weekend warrior" prep better than your prep?

Nag'

Post by Nag' » Sun Dec 30, 2007 2:50 am

Adding a roster spot would be a mistake. There needs to be a level of consistency and roster size is an important component of the NFFC that has and should continue to remain unchanged since inception. The NFFC keeps changing rules and format every year like a chameleon. This is not goood for the game, as much as everyone believes the changes themselves are improvements - and some definitely have been. 18 man roster definitely feels limiting at times but it has created a certain level of strategy which is very challenging. Changing it would not be fixing a mistake, since none exists.
For Players. By Players.

Shrink Attack

Post by Shrink Attack » Sun Dec 30, 2007 3:32 am

Originally posted by Nag':
Adding a roster spot would be a mistake. There needs to be a level of consistency and roster size is an important component of the NFFC that has and should continue to remain unchanged since inception. The NFFC keeps changing rules and format every year like a chameleon. This is not goood for the game, as much as everyone believes the changes themselves are improvements - and some definitely have been. 18 man roster definitely feels limiting at times but it has created a certain level of strategy which is very challenging. Changing it would not be fixing a mistake, since none exists. On this one, I agree with you, Nag'. There is a "sweet spot" of Roster size where there's a balance between challenge and comfort.

The Roster size should be large enough where you can field a good team with adequate reserve, but still have to make tough decisions and not get (and keep) everything you want. Some players of value must be let go (and enter the free agent pool where other Owners have a shot at them) in what is ultimately a test of FF skill. I don't think we want to reduce too much this important test of skill, especially in a 14-team league where Free Agents are even more scarce. It almost seems that some Owners (not all, just some) want to increase the Roster sizes because they're uncomfortable with having to make these decisions and wish they didn't have to.

It seems to me that the 18-man roster hits that sweet spot most accurately. That being said, I can also see the validity of increasing Rosters to 19 once the playoffs begin since the Free Agent market is no longer in play.
"Deserve" ain't got nothin' to do with it
---Clint Eastwood in The Unforgiven