Greg/Tom There is a Competitive Advantage to draft in Early Main Then Normal Main

Dirty Deeds

Greg/Tom There is a Competitive Advantage to draft in Early Main Then Normal Main

Post by Dirty Deeds » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:34 pm

Originally posted by GK:
...yep, just as I accurately diagnosed here, you're still sore for coming in 2nd Place TWO years in a row to me in the Main Classic League DD (and would not even merely acknowledge my kudos and accolades directed to you for BOTH years as they were completely ignored - great sportsmanship on your part I might add!) ...GK You are truly amazing...you critique my "sportsmanship" while you were caught cheating ?

Just go away

bald is beautiful

Post by bald is beautiful » Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:11 am

Having now drafted in and witnessed double main events in the NFBC, WCOFF, and FFPC, I believe there is no competitive advantage and is not a "huge inequity".

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:18 am

Originally posted by Bald is Beautiful:
Having now drafted in and witnessed double main events in the NFBC, WCOFF, and FFPC, I believe there is no competitive advantage and is not a "huge inequity". I agree.
Though I do enjoy the debate.

Glenn

Shrink Attack

Post by Shrink Attack » Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:35 am

Originally posted by Glenneration X:
quote:Originally posted by Bald is Beautiful:
Having now drafted in and witnessed double main events in the NFBC, WCOFF, and FFPC, I believe there is no competitive advantage and is not a "huge inequity". I agree.

Glenn
[/QUOTE]This has been more of a pissing match than a debate.

I have no real opinion on this matter, but I can tell you this: The economics of the situation strongly favors a second draft date, so that's not likely to change.
"Deserve" ain't got nothin' to do with it
---Clint Eastwood in The Unforgiven

King of Queens

Post by King of Queens » Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:36 am

Originally posted by Glenneration X:
quote:Originally posted by Bald is Beautiful:

Glenn
[/QUOTE]it beats arguing about riley cooper versus chad hall

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:38 am

As someone who drafted two teams last year in WCOFF (one Friday night and one Saturday), I don't feel there is ANY advantage to drafting a day or two before.

Keep in mind, the Primetime only has FIVE players in it thus far, and it is possible it may not even happen.

That all being said, if there is ANY advantage, it is probably from doing an online draft. Yes, it may be a minor one, but not hearing other drafts names called out, being much more accessible to breaking news, etc. could be deemed as an advantage.

This is a surprising (but good) move by the NFFC. My only fear is that it hurts the live event, as people won't travel Labor Day weekend to do this. If you want to preserve the live event, adding additional fees to any online Main event is the way to go IMO.

renman

Post by renman » Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:00 am

Billy,

You echo my main concern. I am worried about the growth of the live event. With the focus on figuring out ways to simply drive some extra entries (online option, second entry for die hard and handful of people who absolutely can't draft labor day) I think we start moving away from focusing on ways to grow the live MAIN event.

I was more of a fan of keeping 3 main draft locations (so not to spread people around as much as funnel people to one of 3 places) and focusing on ways to make the draft experience and NFFC experience progressively better and more professional than any other event in the market.

I agree that if people are going to just draft from the comfort of their dining room table there should be something that benefits those who actually come to the live events.

[ August 21, 2010, 08:03 AM: Message edited by: Renman ]

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:10 am

Danny, the person you were calling out via email isn't taking two Primetime teams. He switched from Saturday night because of family obligations to Thursday to remain in the Primetime. This is exactly one of the reasons for having a second draft date, as you agree with.

As for gaining an advantage in the Primetime or Classic: How is drafting on Thursday any different than allowing people the chance to draft in the Online Championship before the Primetime or NFFC Satellite leagues before the Classic? I mean, those folks are in tough, pay drafts too and gaining draft flow information. We even post ADPs for everyone to see beforehand.

Nobody gains an advantage in this scenario. We heard the same argument in baseball and no trend is seen. But call me if you want to present your argument and we'll discuss. Thanks.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius