Anybody Wanna Chat Today?

mikeybok

Post by mikeybok » Thu Oct 27, 2005 1:57 am

Originally posted by Superpion:
Tom has missed the mark ...

...The Packers will win 8 of their last 10 to finish 9-7 and once again take down the NFC North title.
All I can say to this is ... I admire team loyality ... even if it is pretty unrealistic. :eek:

... and I'll bet Superion has Green and Gold running through his vains. Nothing wrong with that (if your a Packer fan)! :D

... I'm not a Packer (not even a little) ... but who isn't a Favre fan! :cool: I agree I wouldn't count him out yet (although his family and wife will have a big part to play in his decissions at this point)

UYT
Hakuna Matata!

Diesel

Post by Diesel » Thu Oct 27, 2005 2:22 am

Originally posted by Greenlight30:
Tom a couple quick questions....
when do you expect D Jax back and who would you start this week Bledsoe(ARZ) or Brooks (MIA)? I know this was for Tom, but I have DJax in a lot of leagues this year and have done a lot of reading about him...What I hear is week 11-12, he will be a full strength. If Engram comes back strong next week, it will give Jackson another week or 2 to fully recover and not come back to soon.

Bledsoe or Brooks---I wouldn't even go there to make that decision...lol...I say flip a coin. 1-Hakim is questionable this week for Brooks. Will Devery Henderson step it up for him? 2-Will Parcells stop hitting his coaches on the sidelines, and allow the Cowboys to start opening up their Offense again? Good Luck with your decision Greenlight.
*Ranked #1 Average Fantasy Football Player in the Nation 2004-2013

"Fantasy sports are all about LUCK. Except when I win."

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Thu Oct 27, 2005 3:58 am

Having covered the Packers for nearly a decade and covering Favre for all but two of those seasons I'd like to think I have a little bit of insight into what goes on with the Packers -- even if I haven't covered the team for a few years.

While it's not the final season of Favre's contract, I don't think he'll want anything to do with a rebuilding situation. He doesn't need to go through that and I don't think he will go through that. And it's becoming quite clear the Packers are about to embark on a rebuilding situation. They lack playmakers on defense, their offense will need to be overhauled at the RB position and on the offensive line and they will obviously be looking for a new head coach.

Add all of that up and I think it equates to Favre deciding to retire -- especially if this season continues to go down the toilet.

I certainly haven't forgotten anything about Favre. He is the single reason this team right now isn't the 49ers. He's all they have and he's the only reason they even have a chance to be competitive. He's an incredible player and a sure-fire Hall of Famer and deserving of all the praise he gets. But this situation is the bleakest it has ever been during his time in Green Bay and I don't believe he alone is enough to rescue this season.

With regard to the question about Jackson, Holmgren said this week it's still another 2-5 weeks for Jackson to return. And even then there's no way of knowing how close to full strength he'll be. Boldin had a similar surgery last year and wasn't close to his former self, so we'll see. I have Jackson in a couple of leagues (including my main league) and I'm hanging onto him for a few more weeks mainly because Seattle's schedule is so freaking ridiculously easy even if Jackson is 70% he could deliver WR2/WR3 production and I'll take that for the stretch run.

As far as the QB situation goes, I'd go with Bledsoe. I think the Cowboys bounce back at home against the Cardinals this week.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

Diesel

Post by Diesel » Thu Oct 27, 2005 4:06 am

Tom, do you think Chatman has what it takes to help this GB offense along? It looks like he's got some real talent, but then again Samie Parker looked that way too. With Driver almost certainly getting double or triple covered for the rest of the season, do you think Chatman will see some legit fantasy numbers?

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Thu Oct 27, 2005 4:19 am

I think Favre can turn just about anybody into gold at the WR position. It's always been one of his greatest -- and most under-appreciated -- qualities. Whoever starts at WR with Brett Favre at QB will have quality fantasy value.
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich

Route Collectors

Post by Route Collectors » Thu Oct 27, 2005 4:22 am

Tom
Everything you said about the Packers makes alot of sense. Is it just me, or does Favre look like he's putting on his best diplomat face for every interview he does? I feel bad for him that it's ending this way. I've been waiting forever for the Colts to be a REAL Super Bowl contender but I'd wait another year if it meant Favre could retire after winning the MVP trophy on Feb.5 in Motown.
It'll be a sad day when he hangs up the cleats for the final time. What a career - a true Hall Of Famer in every sense of the word, not to mention what a great role model he's been for young people.
Maybe the Seahawks will choke, Holmgren will get fired, come back to the Pack and bring Alexander with him. GB picks up a couple good F/A O-linemen along with a defensive rookie of the year in the draft. Everyone gets healthy, Favre comes back for one final go with the old coach.
The Packers go undefeated and win the Super bowl!

We get to see Favre go out the way he should and we never have to watch Csonka,Morris,Griese and the 70's gang huddled around a campfire singing Kum-by-ya every time someone starts the season 8-0.
:D

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Thu Oct 27, 2005 4:29 am

I think Favre is definitely doing his best to speak the party line at this point in time. The last thing this team needs is for him to go off in any way. The ship would officially sink then. He's always been a terrific team leader and there's no reason to expect that to change now.
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich

Diesel

Post by Diesel » Thu Oct 27, 2005 4:39 am

Route C, that post made me want to see GreenBay get Sean Alexander. Favre would most definitely stay one more year. I do remember what Reggie White did for the Packers. Imagine what Alexander would bring to GreenBay? 74 TD's in 67 starts, in 5 1/2 seasons. That is as good as money in the bank.

Diesel

Post by Diesel » Thu Oct 27, 2005 4:44 am

Sean Alexander's contract prevents the Seahawks from claiming him as their Franchise Player after this season. It is something in a contract that every star player wants, but only Alexander has. He essentially said to the Seahawks, "I'm going to be me and tear it up 100% for another year, but at the end you'll pay me every penny I ask for, or someone else will." And that was good enough for Seattle at the time.

Route Collectors

Post by Route Collectors » Thu Oct 27, 2005 4:53 am

Originally posted by Diesel:
Route C, that post made me want to see GreenBay get Sean Alexander. Favre would most definitely stay one more year. I do remember what Reggie White did for the Packers. Imagine what Alexander would bring to GreenBay? 74 TD's in 67 starts, in 5 1/2 seasons. That is as good as money in the bank. I never though Holmgren looked right in Seahawk colors. He should've never left GB. It just seems right to see him standing on the sidelines in December with snot freezing on that walrus looking moustache. :D

Alexander might help bring Favre back, but I'll bet he'd miss Walter Jones before training camp was over.

[ October 27, 2005, 10:54 AM: Message edited by: Route C ]