NFFC Auction playoffs

bald is beautiful

NFFC Auction playoffs

Post by bald is beautiful » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:51 am

Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:
quote:Originally posted by Coltsfan:
I'm not a fan of the auction playoffs at all. In fact, if prize money is coming out of these leagues for an overall national champion I will probably end up dropping the auction league from my nffc weekend.

Wayne And so what is the solution for those who don't like the h2h format during the playoffs? Total points through three weeks?? Four teams instead of six??

Some folks like this format and have said so. Let's hear suggestions on a better mouse trap.
[/QUOTE]I have been in a private 12 team auction on opening weekend in Vegas with WCOFF scoring for the past 3 years. We have 4 teams make the playoffs after 12 weeks, and then 4 weeks of cumulative scoring. We all love the cumulative scoring. That is FAR more likely to reward the better and more consistent teams. One bad week in this system and you still can come back and win, or finish 2nd or 3rd.

The way the NFFC playoffs are structured now, one bad week and you are finished. Even good teams have a bad week once in a while, and if that happens in the playoffs that 1st or 2nd seed team is screwed.

mikeybok

NFFC Auction playoffs

Post by mikeybok » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:53 am

I'm not a fan of the auction playoffs at all. In fact, if prize money is coming out of these leagues for an overall national champion I will probably end up dropping the auction league from my nffc weekend.

Wayne And so what is the solution for those who don't like the h2h format during the playoffs? Total points through three weeks?? Four teams instead of six??

Some folks like this format and have said so. Let's hear suggestions on a better mouse trap.
[/QUOTE]If the 6 team playoff is so great ... why not have it in the main events (seriously ... please don't consider that).

I think the main is a good setup with H2H and points playoff for first and second. If someone takes both ... a playoff between 2nd H2H and 2nd points for 2nd and 3rd. If someone is second in both let the playoff be for third!

The playoff could be a 3 week points accumulation like the main event. That seems to work fine.

I guess I wonder why the difference between the main and the Auction? If you just want different systems to choose from (valid reason) ... then why put the system that involves the most luck on the format that is the purest form of drafting and involves zero luck at the draft (every player is available to everyone) ... seems backwards to me.
Hakuna Matata!

mikeybok

NFFC Auction playoffs

Post by mikeybok » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:09 pm

Originally posted by weber:
as long as the top 2 teams get money for reg season i have no problem allowing 6 in the playoffs. it's a fun system.. this year i got into playoffs with record not points but i knew my team was good.. just had some bad luck early on... i ended up winning league title in playoffs and i know i deserved it..

i like the system, you can leave it the way it is and implement a 10k overall award.. im sure they will do a good job.. i'll be there with bells on

Mike- Auction Man! :D This post is very funny ... you won with head to head record not points and overcame bad luck early on. Was the bad luck ... you were winning H2H matches even though you good players were unlucky by not scoring very many points?

I'm sure it was fun ... winning with a crappy team that was very lucky at H2H and got hot for three weeks. That would be very fun for me too. You did deserve it ... under the current rules.

That is why they need to be changed IMO ... and your right Greg and Tom will figure it out. Maybe they could offer both types of contests and cancel the one that doesn't fill. Maybe they could also extend your playoff format to 8 or 12 teams ... More fun for you guys!

Big Mike
Hakuna Matata!

Greg Ambrosius

NFFC Auction playoffs

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:14 pm

Originally posted by Derek Anderson:
I do not care head to head versus total points.
I hate making the playoffs and not having anything to show for it.
I would play again as long as I know if I make the playoffs I break even.
I want to win at least my entry fee back.
However, not sure if there is a way to make a payout like that appealing to the masses.

Derek "Lumpy" Anderson So even if we went to four playoff teams you still think all four should make their money back? You, who always goes for first place advocating money back just for making the playoffs? Doesn't that take away from what would be a worthy league prize to shoot for??
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

Greg Ambrosius

NFFC Auction playoffs

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:19 pm

Originally posted by Bald is Beautiful:
quote:Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:

[/QUOTE]I have been in a private 12 team auction on opening weekend in Vegas with WCOFF scoring for the past 3 years. We have 4 teams make the playoffs after 12 weeks, and then 4 weeks of cumulative scoring. We all love the cumulative scoring. That is FAR more likely to reward the better and more consistent teams. One bad week in this system and you still can come back and win, or finish 2nd or 3rd.

The way the NFFC playoffs are structured now, one bad week and you are finished. Even good teams have a bad week once in a while, and if that happens in the playoffs that 1st or 2nd seed team is screwed.
[/QUOTE]Cumulative points over the last three weeks rather than h2h is one way to skin this cat, for sure. Going four playoff teams over six teams is another way. We had this same discussion in Las Vegas two years ago during the Ultimate League and overwhelmingly -- as Mark Moyer stated above -- the guys loved the thrill of the h2h matchup in the playoffs. Right now we have h2h in the Ultimate League and total points in the Super during the playoffs.

We'll analyze all of this for the NFFC Auction Championship and obviously total points will be needed to compare leagues in different cities, so maybe that's the route we'll go. We'll see.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

Getpaddled

NFFC Auction playoffs

Post by Getpaddled » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:38 pm

Total points through three weeks is a lot better then a playoff. To much luck involved in a playoff
Greg Dietzler AKA Letter Pusher
Fantasy Football Genius & FPA supporter
Twitter: @Getpaddled

mikeybok

NFFC Auction playoffs

Post by mikeybok » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:47 pm

... as Mark Moyer stated above -- the guys loved the thrill of the h2h matchup in the playoffs. Right now we have h2h in the Ultimate League and total points in the Super during the playoffs.

We'll analyze all of this for the NFFC Auction Championship and obviously total points will be needed to compare leagues in different cities, so maybe that's the route we'll go. We'll see. Like I posted earlier ... The Ultimate (adrenalin junkies) and the Auction are two different animals. I am seeing two in favor of and a bunch against the 6 team playoff rules. Offer both ... let people decide with their wallets. Maybe Vegas and Chicago have different playoff rules (obviously not for the national championship part if you have that ... but for the stand alone leagues they could be)
Hakuna Matata!

Coltsfan

NFFC Auction playoffs

Post by Coltsfan » Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:54 pm

My guess would be that if you put it to a vote in Chicago it would be overwhelmingly for a 4 team, 3 week playoff format. That would be awesome if we could decide this year.

Wayne

pizzatyme

NFFC Auction playoffs

Post by pizzatyme » Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:05 pm

I will most likely be moving away from the Main Events to do the Auction and DC. I'd be good with 4 teams instead of 6. I'd prefer total points over H2H as it doesn't kill you to have 1 off week.

Who is the better team?

165 (but lose week 1 to a team that goes off for 170),175,154
or

145 (but wins week 1 to a team that scores 143) 175,155

Ah, the old H2H vs. total points debate.
2008- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic.
2009- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic or Primetime.

Coltsfan

NFFC Auction playoffs

Post by Coltsfan » Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:15 pm

Russ,

I just hope you were staying away from your wife the first part of December. No more babies during the Chicago draft!

Wayne