HOW TO DRAFT A CONTENDER...

David U. Kennedy

Post by David U. Kennedy » Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:17 am

In reality you are lucky to get 3 starting RBs on your team. Youve done well if you did not sacrifice a QB or your starting wides in order to accomplish this. The guys I targeted most who are backups this year are Ronnie Brown, Ben Tate, Mike Tolbert (kinda starter), and Snelling. Tate could be awsome if and when Foster misses time with the hammy. Maybe week one? I find it more important though to draft 4 good WRs. Its hard to be weak at WR in a PPR and still be competitive. I tended to let either QB or TE slide to later rounds. Not taking both positions with high picks. Catches are gold in this format. Which is why I have Ray Rice as the number one pick this year. Love Hillis in the 3rd as well. hes no one year wonder.

Sandman62

Post by Sandman62 » Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:38 am

I agree that we were lucky to land Lynch. For most of the rest of our Classic draft, we surely didn't feel very "lucky", as it was extremely challenging, as expected, given the talent and experience in it. We altered our intended strategy on the fly, as numerous times, players we'd targeted for the first half of the draft didn't fall.

I also agree that it's important to be strong at WR, so that you still have strong starters during bye weeks. We didn't sacrifice QB: Brees, with McCoy at home vs. JAC during Brees' bye. Don't feel like we sacrificed starting WRs either (though obviously a matter of opinion): Austin, Colston, Ochocinco (Knox, Gaffney). However, it could prove challenging (or frustrating) trying to select our WR3 and flex from this bunch each week. Also snagged Clark at TE.

But then again... that's why the Classic is our FAVORITE format and we hope it never goes away - drafts are hard, as everyone ends up with some sort of hole. Lineup decisions are harder too. All in all, just a great challenge.

We've yet to roster Hillis on any team this year. But as a lifelong Browns fan, I sure hope you're right! :D

Good luck this year.